TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Wifes wagon wouldnt start yesterday. Havnt tried my jetta yet. Both 03 tdi's

Last edited:

Purch

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 6spd
-42 here at the cottage...not even going to try.

Butchered by autocorrect on my SG5 using Tapatalk

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
I hope he wasn't quoting "wind chill" temperatures. :)

I've been home sick with the cold since Friday so haven't met the house but my wife took her '06 Jetta out a couple of times yesterday. It was a little hesitant the first time. Her battery might be on the way out.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
I hope he wasn't quoting "wind chill" temperatures. :)

I've been home sick with the cold since Friday so haven't met the house but my wife took her '06 Jetta out a couple of times yesterday. It was a little hesitant the first time. Her battery might be on the way out.
I know i need a new battery. I wish i could cycle the GP's, but these new fancy cars won't do that.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
1 for 2 here. PD no problem, ALH gave 1/2 a crank on the crappy 2 year old NAPA battery it came with. Cold won't last long enough to bother replacing it. Will do for next winter.

I went for the ALH first, since it normally starts easier.

Purch

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 6spd
That has to be some kind of record. Where are you?
Certainly the coldest Ive ever had up here. East of Bancroft. It's up to a balmy -21 right now.
Temps taken from our digital thermometer, no wind chill.

Butchered by autocorrect on my SG5 using Tapatalk

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
You boys need a warm shop! The old girl started fine.
^^^ Unfortunately not an option at work.
She started reluctantly yesterday morning after 13 hrs outside overnight, but this morning she needed a boost. I guess 2 bitter cold nights outside was more than she could handle. Lots of other cars didn't go either... Oh well.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
No start for me yesterday but my battery is on it's way out... had to get a boost to get it going

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
The 15 fired up fine, was a lil angry, the 06 however didnt want any of that and turned over a couple times and said piss on this

Cuttlefish171

TDI
2001 Jetta
Starts up fine in the garage at home but always leaves me stranded at work in -20*F weather.

Thankfully my coworkers can lend a jump on their way out :p

bmali98

Veteran Member
TDI
O4 golf pd auto
Took about 5 cycles to get going yesterday. Left it running whenever possible for about 5 hours, engine temp never hit 90. Today only 1 cycle.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
Those pushbutton start setups are great on all brands... Real fun when something goes wrong and the engine doesn't start. They will crank way longer than anyone would consider reasonable. Get into a situation with a hydrolocked engine or jammed starter and they will keep at it long enough to roast the starter and melt the battery cables.

Even better, the button communicates with the ecm via canbus so when your ABS controller gets a bit of crud in the connector and shorts the bus the engine won't even crank. Happened to a buddy with a 2009 gm truck last weekend.

They certainly provide a lot more reasons to get towed to the dealer...
lol i dont live in fear, everything breaks i dont worry about crap that will happen regardless what you own and what you drive....regardless my 2011 kessy jetta was flawless for 225,000kms never an issue with push to start....treg breaks well you pay to play, its funny it seems no matter what someone has to tell you what you own isnt any good....i guess this is society as we know it

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
96 A6 Avant TDI Quattro, 04 Jetta Wagon
Was -40 for us in Gravenhurst. 750w frostheater and the car started on first crank. The new starter helped starts TREMENDOUSLY.

TOPH R

Veteran Member
TDI
Stupid GMC 2500HD non diesel :(
Up at the cottage in Parry sound, -38 before the windchill, I only ever crank for 10 seconds at a time when she is really cold out, just something my dad told me a long time ago and stuck with me, started on the second pass. I was pleasantly surprised.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
I missed it! Was in southern California for record heat waves. Car had icicles hanging off it. Started with nary a whimper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I know i need a new battery. I wish i could cycle the GP's, but these new fancy cars won't do that.
Sure you can. Cycle the ignition on and off with your foot off the brake. If you're using the key rather than push-to-start, just don't turn the key to the second detent (start position).

I have perfected this method, since the V10 is a real grump in the cold due to VW's awesome PD glow plug debacle. ;)

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Sure you can. Cycle the ignition on and off with your foot off the brake. If you're using the key rather than push-to-start, just don't turn the key to the second detent (start position).
I have perfected this method, since the V10 is a real grump in the cold due to VW's awesome PD glow plug debacle. ;)
Never even thought of that. Thanks!

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
My Rental Gas minivan here in Vancouver started just fine in the rain at 10 degrees. :D