Dealer service

Doorguy

TDI
2014 Touareg
Hello, brand new to this forum and this is my first VW. I have a 2014 Touareg and have been taking it to the dealer for service. Today though they wanted $919.00 for for the 32000 km service. I declined the service just had the oil change done but the guy said even if I do the rest of the service myself I still have to take it in with receipts for parts and then they will hook up the scan tool and reset the service indicator. Is this normal for a VW dealer to do this? I have a 2010 Dodge Ram with the Cummins deisel and it has never been to the dealer for service as I have done it from day one.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Can't speak for Canadian dealers, but I haven't heard of that from a US dealer.

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
In the US, we have the Magnuson Moss Act, which spells out your legal rights to self maintain your vehicles. In Canada, you have a similar law called the Canadian Competition Act.

http://blog.tdotperformance.ca/guides/warranty-battles-oem-vs-aftermarket/

Keep a log, keep your receipts for supplies, and use fluids/filters that meet spec by the manufacturer and you are good.

Where the dealer is coming from on the reset is the service reminders. There are 2. One is for oil changes, and can be reset by you via the RNS850 'Car' menu. There is a 2nd reminder for major service intervals that cannot be reset by you, unless you purchase a Ross-Tech VCDS and reset it your self by plugging in a computer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
Since you are interested in doing your own service having a VCDS (aka VagCom) is very valuable in diagnosing and setting parameters. Many say it is ESSENTIAL. VCDS - produced and sold by Ross-Tech works on ANY VW or Audi product, any year since the OBD II ports were required. It is a bit expensive but if you no longer have a VW or Audi product it can be sold and the cable re registered with RossTech for a nominal fee. See the RossTech site for more details.
Suggest you also look at ClubTouareg. Many Canadian members there also.

scrubber

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
The 32,000 kilometer service indicator should be one you can reset yourself.
I don't think you'll need the VCDS interface until 64,000 Km. Weird how VW set that up.

Doorguy

TDI
2014 Touareg
Thanks for the replies. I booked it into another dealer 130kms away in a different city and they finished the 32000km service. To compare dealer to dealer on the 32000km service, the one here in Saskatoon wanted 919.00 and the one 130 Kim's away wants 400.00.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the replies. I booked it into another dealer 130kms away in a different city and they finished the 32000km service. To compare dealer to dealer on the 32000km service, the one here in Saskatoon wanted 919.00 and the one 130 Kim's away wants 400.00.
Wow. Yeah...I'd take a short road trip to save that kind of coin. Good call.