Tow hitch options for mk6 jsw with lift

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I'm going to install the VW tow spring kit from Idparts on 2014 JSW. I currently have a class 1 Curt that came with the car. I used it once for a road trip with a basket. It rubbed going out of most drivewaya. I want to go to a 2" receiver. Since the spring kit brings the car up 1.5"-2" aall around does it matter if I get a 2" curt, drawtite or uhaul? I'm looking for whatever is cheap and easy and won't rub.

I also found a eco hitch option for $300.

Installation ease and price are most important

AllieJetta

TDI
2014 GSW 6M/TDi Wolfsburg
If you want cheap, go uhaul or curt or whatever you can find for the least price.

If you want ground clearance, proper mounting points, quality and 2" receiver, go Ecohitch. I just installed one and its exceptional.

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
If you want cheap, go uhaul or curt or whatever you can find for the least price.
If you want ground clearance, proper mounting points, quality and 2" receiver, go Ecohitch. I just installed one and its exceptional.
I'm probably gonna get the eco hitch. How was the install? Did u put the rear end on jack stands?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
ECO definitely (class III @300 tongue/2k tow. I wanted to start with the most advantage possible. I occasionally haul a 200# power chair. The 500# rated aluminum rack (harbor freight) is a straight 2" steel tube. At trailing end and empty it sat @ 8.5" above ground height & 5 3/4" when loaded w/ 200#. It cleared when empty for the most part but definitely had scrapping issues when loaded.

I had a shop raise it about 6" by cutting/bending/fishplating the excess tongue length in a z shape. Make sure they put a +7* to +10* upward rise/tilt that will compensate for the rear spring droop and give a couple inch additional clearance. The wheel well height only lowered apx 1". UNFORTUNATELY the +10* rise was ignored by my fab shop... it presently works but looks droopy. The additional +7 to 10* up tilt would be of benefit too.

BTW the install shop lost the bolts. I called to buy a new set. they (ECO) were awesome and replaced the whole set free of charge. also rush shipped it. Great hitch

Before raised mod. apx. -5* down tilt.

Last edited:

AllieJetta

TDI
I'm probably gonna get the eco hitch. How was the install? Did u put the rear end on jack stands?
I left it on the ground and didn't have any issues. Strongly suggest taking your time, being patient and installing all bolts loosely first, before torquing everything to spec.

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I left it on the ground and didn't have any issues. Strongly suggest taking your time, being patient and installing all bolts loosely first, before torquing everything to spec.
Thanks. I ordered it yesterday. How long did it take for yours to arrive. How much time should I plan for install? Any other installation tips?

Just sum dudes TDI

TDI
2013 golf wagon
How does the car handle with the lift? Was it worth it?
Is this the one that uses the Tiguan springs?
I’ve been wanting to do this, but have a few clunks, hopefully it’s the suspension so I can justify this lift sooner!��

Last edited:

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I’ve been wanting to do this, but have a few clunks, hopefully it’s the suspension so I can justify this lift sooner!��
It's this kit. Haven't ordered them yet. Going to start with the eco hitch and see how that goes for my bike carrier and luggage rack hitch.

https://www.idparts.com/sportwagen-lift-springs-kit-1k0511115ct-p-5101.html

I picked this up from the r/TDI on Reddit. I really want to do it but having a hard time justifying the $700 for the springs and struts needed to do it right. Im telloing myself my current struts are no good and is why do driver side winter tire bottoms out against the strut tower. I think it's not because I'm using a 17" winter setup but with a lift all that would be eliminated and also wouldn't scrape tall parking curbs.

Last edited:

AllieJetta

TDI
Thanks. I ordered it yesterday. How long did it take for yours to arrive. How much time should I plan for install? Any other installation tips?
I'm in Canada, so I had mine shipped to a holding centre just in NY, took 3 days from ordering to arrive at the centre. It took me most of a morning, I would say roughly 4-5hrs? But again, that's taking my time, making sure the rear bumper didn't get scratched, etc.

AllieJetta

TDI
Chiming in, as I just completed the Koni Active / ID Parts spring kit modification. The car handles 1000% better than it did on stock parts, much firmer ride without being harsh over bumps, less roll and more confidence on the twisty bits for sure. I went with the Tiguan Front / Towing Rear springs as I do tow a trailer and didn't want to see it squat.

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I'm in Canada, so I had mine shipped to a holding centre just in NY, took 3 days from ordering to arrive at the centre. It took me most of a morning, I would say roughly 4-5hrs? But again, that's taking my time, making sure the rear bumper didn't get scratched, etc.

Thanks! In the video they show the tech working in a pit with the car on a lift. Dis you do yours with the car on the ground? With a jack? Mine arrives Tuesday.

Just sum dudes TDI

TDI
2013 golf wagon
Chiming in, as I just completed the Koni Active / ID Parts spring kit modification. The car handles 1000% better than it did on stock parts, much firmer ride without being harsh over bumps, less roll and more confidence on the twisty bits for sure. I went with the Tiguan Front / Towing Rear springs as I do tow a trailer and didn't want to see it squat.

Do you have any pics?
How easy was the install?
I’m fairly familiar with tools, but this will be my first suspension on my own.

Did your mileage drop with the height?

AllieJetta

TDI
Thanks! In the video they show the tech working in a pit with the car on a lift. Dis you do yours with the car on the ground? With a jack? Mine arrives Tuesday.
Just did mine laying on the ground with no jack in the garage, didn't have any issues at all personally.

AllieJetta

TDI
Do you have any pics?
How easy was the install?
I’m fairly familiar with tools, but this will be my first suspension on my own.
Did your mileage drop with the height?
I keep meaning to get some decent pictures, but haven't had a chance to clean the car properly lately and snap some. I've also got larger tires than stock so the lift doesn't look as extreme as it did with the stock wheels too.

The install took a full day (8+ hrs) with breaks and lunch, etc. I only used regular hand tools, you'll need triple square sockets, spring compressors, and the strut spreader tool. No change in mileage whatsoever.

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I did the install of the Eco hitch today. Wasn't too bad. Instructions could have been better but I got through it. Most challenging part for me was getting those screws in the wheel well and mud flaps back on.

I reinstalled the styrofoam bumper the tell you to discard and that gave me a little headache when installing the bumper back on.

I lost 1 bolt that is the lower driver rear light housing. It dropped down and couldn't grab it.

I couldnt get the push pins back in. I was unable to push them back on through, I pulled the pin out of the head on one and tried to use it like a bolt/blnut setup but that didn't work either. Any tips on that? New ones?

I also didn't torque every bolt to spec. The m8 bolts called for 20ftlb and some of them were tightening and felt like I might shear the bolt so I stopped. Othes clicked. I think it's my ****ty Pittsburg/hf torque wrench.

It's installed though and looks great.

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
When you did this, did you order a new bolt kit? New stops etc? I ordered the springs and struts but no other miscellaneous items. After doing more research, I prob should have bought the bolt kit at a minimum. Did you use a diy guide or have previous experience?

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
When you did this, did you order a new bolt kit? New stops etc? I ordered the springs and struts but no other miscellaneous items. After doing more research, I prob should have bought the bolt kit at a minimum. Did you use a diy guide or have previous experience?
I did the same thing as you. Ended up getting the bolts and bump stops, and a couple other items that I noticed when other parts were out of the way like rear tie rods and front sway bar links.

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I did the same thing as you. Ended up getting the bolts and bump stops, and a couple other items that I noticed when other parts were out of the way like rear tie rods and front sway bar links.
My car is a 2014 with 40k miles so those other items should be fine. Will prob just order the bolt kit since those are 1x use.

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Any issues getting the new struts into the strut cups? I'm having a hard time getting them inserted while also getting the axle back in place. Some folks said the aftermarket struts were a little larger in diameter and needed to rig up a different strut spreader tool.