Interested in the A8L TDI After Fix - Worth Looking Into?

A8L TDI

TDI
None yet
Hi all,

I have been looking at the A8L TDI for a while and am interested in considering a '14-'16 as my next vehicle.

I assume that virtually all 3.0 TDIs available for sale have been "fixed" at this point. My main concern is that fuel mileage on these vehicles now is reduced, especially in city driving. I also read on here about reduced responsiveness/ diesel noise at start-up and idle.

In addition, I am concerned about potentially odd/ uncomfortable shift patterns.

I would assume that some of the performance issues can be remedied with a ECU tune (i.e. Malone), but the sub-optimal shift patterns, noise, and reduced fuel economy do not appear to be "reversible".

I am mostly interested in the A8L for their fuel economy and comfortable driving experience. Would you say these are still worth looking into even after the fix (not too many out there - none locally)?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you have all of these worries I wouldn't be buying one, or any vehicle that worried me so much. I would find something I would be comfortable with.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
How much city driving do you do? The difference in fuel efficiency can be anywhere from .5 MPG to 2.5 MPG. It all depends on your type of driving.

In my opinion the other reports of problems are not widespread and are overblown by the Internet of complaining effect. Drive a fixed one and see what you think of the experience.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Hi all,
I have been looking at the A8L TDI for a while and am interested in considering a '14-'16 as my next vehicle.
I assume that virtually all 3.0 TDIs available for sale have been "fixed" at this point. My main concern is that fuel mileage on these vehicles now is reduced, especially in city driving. I also read on here about reduced responsiveness/ diesel noise at start-up and idle.
In addition, I am concerned about potentially odd/ uncomfortable shift patterns.
I would assume that some of the performance issues can be remedied with a ECU tune (i.e. Malone), but the sub-optimal shift patterns, noise, and reduced fuel economy do not appear to be "reversible".
I am mostly interested in the A8L for their fuel economy and comfortable driving experience. Would you say these are still worth looking into even after the fix (not too many out there - none locally)?
Pretty rare car, but also really fantastic. I kid you not, the A8L absolutely outclasses 7 Series BMWs and S Class Mercedes' for interior quality and comfort. They really are on a whole other level.

But, if I did more city driving than anything, I likely wouldn't buy a diesel at all. I see so many more expensive parts failing on diesel cars that primarily drive in the city, it's kind of crazy. Frequent long highway trips? They just kind of keep going and make it very easy to eat up the miles with effortless passing, very little need to downshift, very low engine noise and awesome comfort.

But if I did more city driving than anything and had A8L money? I'd probably just get a Tesla instead... plus that'd get me carpool lane access as a single occupant.

A8L TDI

TDI
None yet
How much city driving do you do? The difference in fuel efficiency can be anywhere from .5 MPG to 2.5 MPG. It all depends on your type of driving.

In my opinion the other reports of problems are not widespread and are overblown by the Internet of complaining effect. Drive a fixed one and see what you think of the experience.
I do about 1/3 city driving. The rest is longer distance road trips. Definitely going to see if one pops up locally to go for a test drive. I would not like a long warm up cycles with late shifts and high rpms in the city. Is the city mpg really a lot worse after the fix?

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
I’m guessing with that ratio of city to highway driving you’d experience a fuel efficiency loss in the area of +/-1.5 mpg combined. The issue is the warm up, yes. That has always been true of diesels because the temperature of the fuel affects efficiency, but more so now that the cars have been forced to comply with emissions limits even when cold.

Dr Chill

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 A8L TDI
Simply one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. I traded in my 15 A8L TDI for a new leftover 16 when they came off the stop sale in 2/18. The combination of comfort, power, fuel efficiency cannot be matched by any other vehicle.

Can't tell you about the warm up cycle since it is never cold here in so FL.

A8L TDI

TDI
None yet
Thanks for all the replies! Will definitely look into these more seriously now. I hope to find one locally soon so I can take it for a test drive.