New TDI enthusiasm? Opinions on where we are 2 plus years post-scandal?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
All of these items are covered under the extended emissions warranty. In the case of my 2015 they're covered until the car reaches 162K miles or 2028, whichever comes first.
Great plan. So I guess we just figure on scrapping cars when the reach 162K miles because emission/fuel system repairs could easily cost more than the car is worth?

As a data point, my BRM is at 188K miles, runs great and has not drained my bank account because of EPA/CARB inspired repairs.

Edit - Just noticed you have a 2015 which might actually be a major improvement on the Dismal 2009 to 2014 CR's. I don't have an opinion on the 2015 as yet because they are so new. Time will tell how they pan out with the added complexity. I think that using a DEF system on them might make regens less extreme on these newer cars though. The EA288 could end up being a really great engine. http://pics3.tdiclub.com/data/517/820433_EA288.pdf

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Great plan. So I guess we just figure on scrapping cars when the reach 162K miles because emission/fuel system repairs could easily cost more than the car is worth?
I think the general idea is to scrap the emissions crap once the vehicle isn't warrantied anymore :D

That said, I managed to successfully argue for keeping our ALH during all of this and even though we eventually got into a 2015 keeping that bug was the best decision we could have made. I think we're sitting at about 250K on that and still getting over 50mpg.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I think the general idea is to scrap the emissions crap once the vehicle isn't warrantied anymore :D
That said, I managed to successfully argue for keeping our ALH during all of this and even though we eventually got into a 2015 keeping that bug was the best decision we could have made. I think we're sitting at about 250K on that and still getting over 50mpg.
This. At 162,000 exactly.

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
To be fair, IBW was referring to his 2015 and not the earlier CR engines.

It's a great feeling isn't it? My BRM at 188K miles still has all of the emission control systems operational because there is no real reason to delete them. They do seem to work as designed although I did fix the EGR cooler exhaust leak last summer.

Have you had to replace the turbo on the ALH? There is a good possibility that my BRM turbo will need to be replaced somewhere before 300K miles as I did need to adjust the turbo stop screw as the turbo is starting to show it's age.

Have you had any issues with the 2015 EA288 engine?

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
To be fair, IBW was referring to his 2015 and not the earlier CR engines.

It's a great feeling isn't it? My BRM at 188K miles still has all of the emission control systems operational because there is no real reason to delete them. They do seem to work as designed although I did fix the EGR cooler exhaust leak last summer.

Have you had to replace the turbo on the ALH? There is a good possibility that my BRM turbo will need to be replaced somewhere before 300K miles as I did need to adjust the turbo stop screw as the turbo is starting to show it's age.

Have you had any issues with the 2015 EA288 engine?
My ALH also has all it's emissions equipment except that the Malone tune has an EGR delete coded into it (although the bug still has the equipment, I don't really know the ramifications of leaving the functional equipment on but I never got around or cared to delete it--it came with the ECM I bought).

The only issue I've had with the turbo was at 185K the turbo actuator needed to be replaced. It was $40 bucks done at the same time as the tbelt. The mechanic noted the seals were leaking oil and cleaned about a cup of oil from the intercooler. Didn't notate any excessive wobble and I haven't had any issues since that I can attribute to the turbo.

I haven't had any issues with the 2015 engine. I love everything about the new platform compared to my 2012 JSW, which I turned in right at the beginning of the fiasco. We have 75K on it. I can't comment on much more than that--we've only had it since January.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've replaced the turbo several times in my ALH, but it was for upgrades. Never had a turbo fail. And my son's ALH with 370K on it has the original turbo. He also has all his emissions intact, as does my '97 Passat.

I've had zero problems with my '15, but it just passed 12K miles, so that's not much of a brag.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The EA288 does look like a clean sheet design and from I have read it really could be the best modern Diesel engine VW ever made as far as reliability and emissions. After the CR fiasco we really could use a break............

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The EA288 is a common rail tdi too. If anything, it is significantly more complex than the EA189 engines.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Very true. but the CR I was referring to is not the EA288. All I can say is that time will tell about the EA288's reliability and cost of maintenance. The EA189 was a compromise from older designs that should have never seen the light of day. Brutal regens that can kill a turbo within 120k miles. Really?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I suspect the EA288 turbos see similar egt's during regens. No doubt that elevated regen. temps stress the turbos. But, I'd bet that the majority of EA189 cars on the road with 150k+ miles(might not be that many here post dieselgate-yet) are sporting their factory turbos. Quite a few get replaced just because the actuator went bad.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
After YEARS of wanting a TDI and never quite pushing the button - I decided in November of 2018 that it's now or maybe never. So I brought home my 2015 Golf TDI SEL. CPO.
Incentives? Sweet warranty that is standard for all TDI's containing the approved fix, then VW added to that with the two year bumper to bumper for CPO cars.
All the above - and what seems like a fairly steady supply of "BUY BACK" cars that VW has thankfully chosen to sell to dealers rather than destroying, and is paying for the agreed-upon fixes - would seem there should be a fair number of new TDI enthusiasts out there.
Of course - I may be delusional due to wearing my VW blue-tinted glasses but I do wonder if the reasonable availability of late model TDI's has actually injected new life into the TDI community.
I realize that I could also be wrong - enthusiasm in the ranks may be dwindling due to mileage improvement with the gassers, "disgust" with VW for the scandal, but what is the temperature here amongst the TDI faithful?
For my part - I am really enjoying my 'new to me' car, and expect to continue to enjoy it for a LOOONNNNGGGG time. So I'm interested in re-kindled TDI events, more info, et al.
There have to be a lot of new folks coming into TDIs now for similar reasons. I am curious as to what everyone thinks for the future of our little 'cult'?
Would love to hear both other TDI noobs and long-time TDI geeks on the state of the union.

Count me in as one of the "new TDI enthusiasm" people. I have always driven diesels and I saw this as an opportunity to buy a TDI after toying with the idea for a long time. I am very happy with my newly purchased 2015 and looking forward to many years of ownership.

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL and 2006 Golf TDI GLS
Love my 2015 GSW SEL. I have had several diesels and 11 VW's overall. This is the 12th and by far the best.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Interest in the Golf 7s seems to be picking up, I try to check the forum once a day and a few months back there were only 2-3 posts a day here in the Golf 7 subforum. Nowadays there's 6-10 posts a day, which bodes well for the future!

nectarguru

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf SE
I do love my black 2015 6 speed Golf SE with the lighting package, but I think after this car I'm going to move on to something else. I sold my 2000 Golf (309k miles) to get this one, and it's the first NEW car I've ever owned. Custom ordered it in the Spring of 2015, then drove it off the lot with only 8 miles and have amassed just under 100k in 3.5 years. If I continue my driving habits I'll probably hit 160k in another 3 years, at which point I'll probably sell it (depending on where I'm at with my lifestyle).

I'm going on about 7.5 years of exclusive diesel, but after the scandal broke I started to lose my enthusiasm for TDIs. I still love my Golf to death and consider it to be the car I always wanted or needed, but these days I get jealous every time I see a yellow Mini with a black hood stripe go by.

Maybe my opinion will change come 160k, but as of right now I plan on selling. Shouldn't be too hard either, because I imagine that by 2020-21 the MK7s will be more scarce, and with my 6 speed SE model with the lighting package, it might be a rare and desirable combo to hit the market.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I suspect the EA288 turbos see similar egt's during regens. No doubt that elevated regen. temps stress the turbos. But, I'd bet that the majority of EA189 cars on the road with 150k+ miles(might not be that many here post dieselgate-yet) are sporting their factory turbos. Quite a few get replaced just because the actuator went bad.
Why would you assume that? With the DEF system regens might be less sever and damaging to the turbo. Also with the new EA288 design, VW has had a chance to tweak operating conditions that killed the EA189's turbo. No. The EA189 design should never have seen the light of day and a lot of people got shafted by it.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not me. My car was amazing for 175k miles and 7 years. No cams needed. Nothing needed actually, other than lube, filters, wipers, brake pads, 1 timing belt job, and tires. And today VW cut me a check for 15k. Plus the $1300 goodwill/Bosch money. Can't beat that!

Btw- the SCR system (DEF) is downstream of the DPF and accomplishes a completely different task. I'm sure the regens are every bit as toasty. The turbo is different though, and could well be more up to the task.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We have more than a few customers with CJAA TDIs with well over 200K on the clock and original turbos.

nectarguru

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf SE
Not me. My car was amazing for 175k miles and 7 years. No cams needed. Nothing needed actually, other than lube, filters, wipers, brake pads, 1 timing belt job, and tires. And today VW cut me a check for 15k. Plus the $1300 goodwill/Bosch money. Can't beat that!

Btw- the SCR system (DEF) is downstream of the DPF and accomplishes a completely different task. I'm sure the regens are every bit as toasty. The turbo is different though, and could well be more up to the task.
$15k for 175k miles on a 7 year old car?? That's amazing!! I bought my MK7 fresh in June 2015 with only 8 miles on the clock, 10k when the scandal broke two months later, and I was only offered $13k. They countered with a very generous extended warranty and a so-so restitution check, but still, I can't help but roll my eyes at VW. More reason for me to bail after this Golf runs its course.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't think it's accurate to understand one part of it, like SCR, as a "completely different task" from the rest of the engineered system because emissions controls are engineered as a complete system from air nozzle opening all the way to the tail pipe.

At a basic level, cleaning up right before the tailpipe means everything in front of the SCR system doesn't have to work as hard. For example, increased use of SCR means decreased use of EGR. Also, more SCR allows for more NOx during combustion, which allows for more passive regeneration of the DPF (rather than active, which is when the turbo, etc. take the hardest beating).

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
$15k for 175k miles on a 7 year old car?? That's amazing!! I bought my MK7 fresh in June 2015 with only 8 miles on the clock, 10k when the scandal broke two months later, and I was only offered $13k. They countered with a very generous extended warranty and a so-so restitution check, but still, I can't help but roll my eyes at VW. More reason for me to bail after this Golf runs its course.
Close to 8 years now that I think of it. It served me well. Kinda sad to see it go, but I have to remind myself that it was just a car. I'm seeing the fixed ones around for dirt cheap now, so I may not be done with tdi's just yet. Of course my truck decided to blow a brake caliper a couple of hours after returning my car. I guess that's just part of the joy of owning an old truck in the rust belt. :)

Last edited:

JeffsSportWagen

Usually between the Florida Gulf Coast & Treasure
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen S TDI/dsg
Count me in as a new TDI enthusiast... although I've long been a TDI fan. I just never was able to justify the premium the TDI always commanded.

With increasing pressure from the Mrs to replace my beloved '09 Mazda 6 (a wholly brilliant automobile) I had been expecting to replace it with a newer Mazda 6. But I also had my eye on the Mk7 Sportwagen. Then at the end of April 2017, I took the opportunity to test drive a Platinum Gray '16 Sportwagen TSI. I was hooked! (my stepson ended up buying that GSW a few days later)

I became obsessed with finding a Blue GSW with a clean history in my $12-14k price range. With all of the TDIs being bought back, I was sure I had missed any chance of ever owning a TDI.

Then in November of 2017 I found my first post DG GSW TDI in Orlando and we went to go look at it. It had very obvious collision repairs and I wouldn't even drive it. But I told the Mrs on the way home that if I found a suitable Blue GSW TDI we would go get it and bring it home.

A few weeks later my patience would be rewarded. In December I found a GSW S TDI 165 miles away in Miami. Clean history, Night Blue, with 40k miles for $12,999. It was perfect, still smelled new and even had a hitch on it. I bought it within hours of them putting into their inventory.

A full year later with about 55k miles on it now, I luv everything about it... even pulling up to the diesel pumps. I'm also a huge fan of the availability of parts from other models across the platform as well as the large following of aftermarket support. (things the Mazda lacked severely)

For now I'm all in for the extended factory warranty, but I am well aware for the potential for modifications... so time (and budget) will tell.

Oddly enough I credit the DG fiasco for my having been able to buy this car, had it not been for the very meaningful way DG impacted resale values.