Enthusiasm from the last remaining enthusiast

outthere

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5 Northern Green wagon
Just bought a 2003 5 series bmw. Keeping the B5 which I think is a great car despite the haters.

The 04 passat has heated seats, homelink, monsoon stereo, gets high mileage, drives great. Had an issues with the balance shaft, fixed it.
The BMW is bare bones- great leather, 5 speed, fast, w/ a crap stereo, no cold weather pkg, no garage remote, but a great car for 'date night' w/ my wife. Looks cool.

The E39 BMW has a million issues, yet their owners love them. Same with the Jag xk8, beautiful car, plenty of issues.

If you think you're torqued about your 04/05 B5 being worth 10k and having to sink 2-3k, imagine paying 50-60, it being worth 10-12k, and having to sink 6-8k in fixes to keep it running. Google E39 Vanos. find the xk8 site, you think you have issues...

the passat issues are modest in comparison, there are plenty of enthusiasts who spend $2k on a set of alloy wheels and another grand on a stereo.

Just my 2 cents, get some persepctive - you thought you bought a flawless car - is there such a thing? The attitude on this forum is so negative it blows my mind. this is my 2nd TDI, 9 years ago the TDI community was so different. Bring back 'Fred's TDI club' ! :)

thanks to all those who post such great detailed DIY info in the original positive spirit of 'Fred's'. The rest -quit complaining and quietly buy yourself a used Altima, no thread or post required, I'm sure they have a great forum somewhere.

s4phillips

Veteran Member
Live in d/FW, TX. Transplanted from the Pacific
TDI
2002 Beetle, 2005 Passat Variant-DOA blunt force trama, 2014 Beetle-went home
You do not get the title of the last remaining enthusiast just yet, you still have some company. I would love a second B5.5 Passat with the 2.0L TDI engine.

The dose of reality: all mechanical devices have limitations and require maintenance and repairs - there is not a perfect car out there.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I love my B5 and am currently hoping to find another one in need of TLC to purchase. I need a wagon. :D

It'll pass the 100k mile mark by the end of the year:

passatpete

TDI
2005 Passat GLS TDI
Speaking of wagons - the first time I called the parts department at the VW dealer after buying my TDI B5.5 sedan last May - when I ask for an oil drain plug for a TDI he asks if it is a wagon. I can't figure why that makes any difference for the oil drain plug, and he explains that if I had a TDI wagon he would offer to buy it from me. lol

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Issues aside, the B5.5 diesel is a wonderful car and w/o peer (in the USA).

LoneLIPumpeDuse

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat,04,BLUE GRAPHITE PRL
dieseldorf said:
That's not hard to do considering the other choices.
Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a great car despite my current situation but I drive a 1999 MB E300DT:cool: The wife mostly drives the VW.

VWSHPFRMN

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
None at the time
dieseldorf said:
It is a great car. I get many offers on my car. It's paid for,I could'nt replace it with anything close even if I got $15,000 for it.

misteroboto

Veteran Member
TDI
11 JSW 13 Beetle TDI
s4phillips said:
You do not get the title of the last remaining enthusiast just yet, you still have some company. I would love a second B5.5 Passat with the 2.0L TDI engine.

The dose of reality: all mechanical devices have limitations and require maintenance and repairs - there is not a perfect car out there.
+1 on that.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
E36 BMW or XK8 Jag vs. B5.5 TDI?: B5.5 TDI
But compare the B5.5 to the B4 TDI and I believe the B4 is better than the B5.5 by the same degree that the B5.5 is more to my liking than the Bimmer or Jag.

A sad note: My wife (who drives the B5.5 because I won't) asked if, for the next car, she could have something that doesn't require special engine oil, special power steering fluid, special coolant, special transmission fluid, special windshield wipers, need specific shifting procedures when the transmission is cold, something, quote "like a Corolla, maybe?"
When a Corolla is seriously considered to be preferable to the B5.5 TDI it is time to think about removing the blinders and see the car for what it really is: A superfluously tarted up, fat Audi A4 with a dead-end PD fuel delivery design.

Who wants to take over my payments?

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Before I bought mine, I considered a late 90s MB diesel, but after researching, decided against it. It was just another tier up with possibly even more costly issues to deal with. I am still 'IN' on this one.
And yes, some people need and deserve corollas...

Last edited:

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
Flawless car? Wouldn't that be a 2000 Golf TDI GL with handcranks and a 5-speed? I think you replace the fluid in it, thats about it. There isn't anything to break.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
abctdi said:
I thought that year of tdi was subject to intake clogging?
Remember when that car was built the USA had some pretty nasty sulfur laden diesel. Once cleaned that same car today probably won't clog as fast.

oilhammer

TDI
Lug_Nut said:
Who wants to take over my payments?
Me. Gladly. And I will be happy to compare cars 10 years from now. :)

Oh, and a Corolla requires special coolant (pink SLL that is THRICE what VW G12 costs) , special transmission fluid (WS, that is TWICE what Pentosin is), and now they are phasing in 0w20 oil, so no savings there either (other than they do not hold much, but Toyota still requires 5000 mile oil changes).

rspring

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta CR; 2011 BMW 335D
Me too

I think the B5.5 is really quite a nice vehicle. I agree with the OP that there should be less bashing - if it is just a complaint about how you could have had a Japanese vehicle please recognize that you still can. :D

As a fellow TDI fan says, "enjoy this day"! :)

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
To those who had their BSM changed months ago, does it really make you feel any better to continue to moan about the issue and bash VW for not paying for it?

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
leicaman said it... ULSD + ALH = no more sooting. Plus by now if it's an enthusiasts car that EGR crap was disabled and taken off long ago.

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
Still love mine. It's the perfect freeway cruiser in my mind. It just loves eating up those interstate miles and the fact that I can get 600 to 700 miles per tank, and pack all the stuff my wife and I carry when we travel is the icing on the cake. Having RC2 also makes it fun to drive. I drive to Los Angeles and Las Vegas quite a bit and it's a riot to see the look on the face of relatives when I tell them upon arrival that I still have a half tank of fuel left. So despite the issues with the car, I would buy another one. It's a pity the new Passat TDI won't make it over here. I would love to have one of those like this one I saw in Frankfurt earlier in the year:

DezlDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat TDI Variant - United Grey
Finally, some positivity. Yes, they are excellent cars, despite the BS issue. I still love mine and I refuse to become disgruntled with a car that is such a pleasure to own and drive. Now if I only had a matching sedan???!!!!

[/IMG]

outthere

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5 Northern Green wagon
I'm up for a sedan when the BMW gets boring. I will geek it out to the nines. de-badged, mesh grill, tint, 18's, ground effects, lowered suspension, lambo doors, ear crushing stereo, RC4. Maybe some flames on the rear Qtr panel. Plenty of cowbell, and then I will add even more cowbell!

volkswagendude

Veteran Member
TDI
None for now...
outthere said:
Just bought a 2003 5 series bmw. Keeping the B5 which I think is a great car despite the haters.

The 04 passat has heated seats, homelink, monsoon stereo, gets high mileage, drives great. Had an issues with the balance shaft, fixed it.
The BMW is bare bones- great leather, 5 speed, fast, w/ a crap stereo, no cold weather pkg, no garage remote, but a great car for 'date night' w/ my wife. Looks cool.

The E39 BMW has a million issues, yet their owners love them. Same with the Jag xk8, beautiful car, plenty of issues.

If you think you're torqued about your 04/05 B5 being worth 10k and having to sink 2-3k, imagine paying 50-60, it being worth 10-12k, and having to sink 6-8k in fixes to keep it running. Google E39 Vanos. find the xk8 site, you think you have issues...

the passat issues are modest in comparison, there are plenty of enthusiasts who spend $2k on a set of alloy wheels and another grand on a stereo.

Just my 2 cents, get some persepctive - you thought you bought a flawless car - is there such a thing? The attitude on this forum is so negative it blows my mind. this is my 2nd TDI, 9 years ago the TDI community was so different. Bring back 'Fred's TDI club' ! :)

thanks to all those who post such great detailed DIY info in the original positive spirit of 'Fred's'. The rest -quit complaining and quietly buy yourself a used Altima, no thread or post required, I'm sure they have a great forum somewhere.
Just to repost your opener again.
Well said.

Balance shaft paranoia, and dealers incompetence on being educated on stuff that matters, and following though on their service end, is what kills the magic on these cars. That's it. That's all.

Other than that, 4 years and 161000km (100625 miles) later, only ONE lousy, "cash out of my pocket" alternator pulley repair at around $80.00. Now why would I complain? Seriously.

Of my 3 cars, there's only one other car in my driveway, that I prefer to drive over my 2005 B5.5 Passat TDI, even if it DOES burn a zillion times more fuel, and that would have to be my same year'd 2005 Touareg V8. In fact, I like to think of as, a jazzed up, jacked up, tarted up on steroids B5.5 :D :D :D And yes they both look jewels and made for each other sitting side by side in the driveway.

Camry, Corolla, Malibu, Altima, Infinity? Pleeasssszzzzzzzzzzzzzz :rolleyes:

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Lug_Nut said:
A sad note: My wife (who drives the B5.5 because I won't) asked if, for the next car, she could have something that doesn't require special engine oil, special power steering fluid, special coolant, special transmission fluid, special windshield wipers, need specific shifting procedures when the transmission is cold, something, quote "like a Corolla, maybe?"
Well........if she's so much a "non-driver" that a lunch box with wheels would suffice I say got for it. :D Egads, Yoy-to-ta is so clueless they still use dial (turn) wiper settings :eek: 158hp @ 6,000 sounds like a real joy to drive.............though it explains having to try & shove those Gunt-rollas out of the way during my commute.

After a recent round of test driving I'd still put my B5.5 up against most anything (which is making the process somewhat miserable).

Accord? Camry? Nissan? Puh-leeze, NONE of them offer the combination of ride & handling. You either get a floater or a far harsher ride.

A5/B6? Nope, both ride & drive fairly nice but neither of them offers the overall comfort. The new platform is not as quiet & offers a more sporty feel at the expense of ride comfort = they ain't the B5.5 platform. It was a real treat watching the display showing from 5.3 to 15.6mpg during a test drive :eek: (and winner winner that's premium thank you very much).

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Plenty to go 'round

johnboy00 said:
To those who had their BSM changed months ago, does it really make you feel any better to continue to moan about the issue and bash VW for not paying for it?
Nope, I have enough other complaints with the car that I don't need to kvetch about the BS ass'y, so I don't.
Oh, I remember the financial pain, and the sense of betrayal I felt, but that particular BS issue is now a "been there, done that, never have to do it again".
(except for this tid-bit of balance gear recall just coming to light:eek:)

My wife's now a "non-driver" BECAUSE of the B5.5. She steels her nerves to sign on here from time to time to read about engine failures, transmission failures, controls arms wearing out, alternator pulleys siezing, waterpumps siezing, acceleration lag, and on and on. She's afraid to drive IT, not afraid to drive. She loved my B4Vs, and agrees with me that the B5.5 is nowhere near to what my B4's were.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
My wife just drove ours happily to Louisville and back with no complaints. :)

I just cannot grasp how you do not like yours so much, or that you keep it and continue to complain about it. Makes no sense to me. :confused:

I drive all kinds of cars, the B5 TDI is about as good as it gets. I cannot think of any other car that offers what they do, save for an E-CDI and that will set you back double the money.

toddschwantes

TDI
Passat Sedan, 2005, Black
I still love my B5.5. Now that it is chainless, and has the RC1+ tune, it is better than it's ever been. Although I was (temporarily) upset about the BS issue, it's just hard to NOT love it. Fantastic power for a 4 cylinder engine and fantastic economy for a decent sized car--it's just a hard combination to beat. I'd also take another (if it came chainless, chipped and cheap).

DezlDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat TDI Variant - United Grey
oilhammer said:
My wife just drove ours happily to Louisville and back with no complaints. :)

I just cannot grasp how you do not like yours so much, or that you keep it and continue to complain about it. Makes no sense to me. :confused:

I drive all kinds of cars, the B5 TDI is about as good as it gets. I cannot think of any other car that offers what they do, save for an E-CDI and that will set you back double the money.
Amen, I'm with you. For those who are actually AFRAID to drive their Passat, get serious...PULEASE!