Cabin Heater-Exploded View?

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
'05 Golf - I've been trying to find an exploded view of the heat system so I can try to figure out where the different actuators for the dampers are. Anybody have one? I know the system can kick out heat (theoretically with 190 degree coolant) but there seems to be too much outside air coming in diluting the heat. Fan works fine. The position switch for floor-defrost-cabin directs air to the right places when it's switched. The recirc button diverts air from the floor as expected.

Then there's the temp dial; when switched counter clockwise it gives you a nice straight blast of outside air, switch all the way clockwise and I get the beginning of what feels like heat, but never really hot. If I rotate the switch to cold while driving on the highway and then back again to heat I get no heat; as if there's a damper that's being held open by the wind pressure. Even with the recir "on" and the fan on low, it's only warm, never hot. Am I expecting too much? I guess the other possibilty is the coil is airbound but there's no coolant loss and that wouldn't explain why the heat can disappear at 60 mph by cycling the heat switch.