FS: 2005 Jetta Wagon

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Selling this for a customer/friend of mine.

He is the original owner, car was actually special ordered by another customer/friend of mine but they found a 2004 just like it and ended up getting that instead.

White GLS w/ leather, manual, ESP, don't really think there is anything else option wise it could have gotten in 2005 besides an automatic.

Just shy of 260k miles. I have maintained this car since it was new. I installed an OEM steel Volkswagen skidplate on it when it was new. It has been maintained by the book the entire time. It has some minor fender rust starting and some surface bubbles on the front ends of the rockers but could be stopped and repaired easily enough. Newer tires (he opted for some cheaper ones as he was no longer driving the car as much). I recently (last year) did the entire HVAC case and heater core (all new Volkswagen parts). I also just did new rear brakes with new TRW calipers. Timing belt every 100k.

Has a few scratches and what not, it was a family car, so it got used. Usually garaged. It has a minor vibration under load on the highway, which means it needs the inner CV joints swapped, cleaned, regreased (not a huge deal) and it does have a couple door latches that randomly do not work. Never crashed, never smoked it. He purchased a new Tiguan.

Looking for $3k, which is a great deal. Drive it anywhere, great car. It has had the tandem pump replaced along the way, and the intercooler (they rub a hole through them from the cooling duct). I have done parking brake cables at some point, too.

I also have an extra set of the aluminum factory wheels to go with it, if someone wants some for snow tires.

Last edited:

B3achbum

Veteran Member
TDI
(Nigel) 2004 jw GLS 5sp / +332K miles, (Hildegarde) 2008 R320 CDI / +132K miles
Good deal

Bump for good deal!

For comparison, mine's at 351k miles now and Definitely not looking original...
I got a decent set of GTI seats for mine when the pleather gave up the ghost.
No tint, so the FL sun plus kid abuse x4, they had their way with the upholstery.

Dings from Walmart tire service, scratches from toddlers playing with stones...
But no rust, is mine, and wouldn't sell for more ;)
(now, if I could make time to take care of the head gasket..!)

GLWS!!

mac11

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Passat
I'd be interested if it doesn't sell. Are there any maintenance items coming up?

oilhammer

TDI
Car is still available, potential buyer likes the car but needs to justify an 'extra' car, so...

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
OH, I assume this is a BEW/BRM engine, correct? If so (to your knowledge), has the camshaft and lifters ever been replaced? Any suspension work been done?

I'm in the market for another diesel winter project this year and this wagon has me interested. I will be also in St. Louis this coming Thursday and I could stop by to have a close look at it if it's at your shop.

oilhammer

TDI
It is the BEW engine. Valve cover never been off. Engine has had nothing put normal PM and one tandem pump. Only suspension work it has ever required was rear shock absorbers, everything else is original. I don't think it ever even suffered through the EGR cooler or glow plug nonsense, they are all original as it left the factory.

Probably 90% of the miles are cruising down the highway.

As stated, I am the only one that has ever serviced this car since it was new.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Thanks, I'll check Wednesday night on here to see if it is sold. If not, I should be able to stop by mid day Thursday to have a look at it if it's at your shop.

oilhammer

TDI
Thanks, I'll check Wednesday night on here to see if it is sold. If not, I should be able to stop by mid day Thursday to have a look at it if it's at your shop.
It isn't. It is at my house. I can drive it up here Thursday if you like, I am here usually by 5am until 4pm.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
It isn't. It is at my house. I can drive it up here Thursday if you like, I am here usually by 5am until 4pm.
My plan is to be in Joplin, Missouri Thursday morning, then leaving heading East on Interstate 44 around 8:00 am to St. Louis. Let me post here or PM you Wednesday when I am on the way to Joplin to confirm that Thursday is good for you to drive it in. Thanks!

oilhammer

TDI
Looking more like this is going to end up in my stable. Really thought someone here would want this car. Although I guess the fact that you can buy one of the buyback cars for less than $10k may have something to do with it.

Maybe I will keep it until its replacement (a Tiguan) breaks and I can rent it back to the owner. :p

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
I'm surprised it hasn't sold too! There is a stigma on BEW's that isn't really deserved... I was quite tempted but the 09a auto in mine just keeps chugging along...

oilhammer

TDI
Yeah, and it isn't like the BEWs don't hold up. Here are a couple other regulars:

So this 255k mile unit certainly has plenty left in it, LOL...

d24tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4V
Looking more like this is going to end up in my stable. Really thought someone here would want this car. Although I guess the fact that you can buy one of the buyback cars for less than $10k may have something to do with it.
Maybe I will keep it until its replacement (a Tiguan) breaks and I can rent it back to the owner. :p
I know the feeling. I put my '01 ALH/02J Jetta up here, plenty of miles but looks like new and no needs, for a fair price and ready to take a lot less from anyone wanting to give it a good home. Total silence, not even a single request for info or lowball offer. Could've dropped the asking price into the beater zone and put it on Craigslist but after years of working to keep the car nice, didn't really want to unload it for nothing and have someone thrash it into the ground in a year or two.

Then I put my '04 Passat up instead, same thing, nice car and lots of money and effort spent on good upkeep and improvements including a manual conversion, suspension refresh, BSM, etc. Couple needs but figured someone here might be interested in an easy project with all the hard work already done on a solid car that'd be worth the effort. More tumbleweeds. Looks like I'm going to end up keeping both of them for now too.

Seems like this generation of TDIs is now being affected by the same forces that are driving the market for many other decent, older CARS (not trucks) down to worthlessness. New prevalence of extreme long term financing letting folks drive a new vehicle they'll never pay off and probably can't really afford but can keep making low monthly payments on for the next 7 years, lack of tech features on this era of car (touch screens, CarPlay etc) that are now more important to many folks than the technical hardware is, and above all cheap fuel and low priority on fuel efficiency vs the appearance of driving something big and tough. "Car" is almost a pejorative term in today's market, even a nice car is still just a car, something you drive if you can't swing the payments for a truck. I think you're right that the wide availability of newer CR TDI alternatives on the used market at affordable prices from the buyback is another compounding factor in this particular case, so that the small market of folks who want something like this will probably go for those instead, even though they still cost more and are arguably not as good a long term ownership proposition.

Bit of a shame to watch it happen. These old TDIs had over-inflated resale values for a long time, which had many downsides of its own and encouraged some greed and slime, but did have the benefit of making folks feel that the cars were worth spending money on to keep on the road. We'll see a lot of them head for the crusher now that demand has fallen off the cliff, even for good no-excuses cars at fair prices like yours here.

Good luck.

B3achbum

Veteran Member
TDI
It's this car's turn

Disregarding which way the car market winds are blowing, here.

I'll post for the benefit of those who 1) don't want to spend 5 grand on a car but want something decent and 2) may be interested in turning a wrench sometimes, and maybe even screwing something up on occasion.

When you're buying a second hand car especially a diesel you aren't buying the car, you're buying the previous owner...

(I'm not a mechanic I just play one at home.)

My Mk4/BEW has been very forgiving for/of me, once I dealt with the sins of the previous owner... I'm pretty sure I had the first cam/lifter failure in the US (June 2006). Car sat at the dealership 5 weeks while engineers were flown in from Germany to scratch their heads... Then I took it to a buddy and got it fixed. Nother story.

At that time VW quoted me $3000 to fix piecemeal or $5000 to put a factory head on it. Now, a cam kit can be had for $400.

Not that this car even needs it, but don't be scared of cam wear. Check it at next timing belt service and decide if is worth attending to... The only thing that really matters with these cars, is adherence to recommended oil and interval.
If OH serviced it, no worries.

Bump for seller/car.

bigsexyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB, '04 Jetta
I would have already bought it, but its white over tan, and I just can't do it. Super silly I know.

oilhammer

TDI
I hear ya, it would not have been my first color combo choice either. I have the tan in my Golf, and it is awful. Just a filth magnet.

The white doesn't bother me.

So the funny thing is, the replacement Tiguan has already broken, LOL. :eek: Secondary Air Injection valve. DOH!

B3achbum

Veteran Member
TDI
Tan pleather

Yup, and yup.
Scored GTI seats for mine, and just live with the panels.
I much prefer the tilt up front seats from the GTI, can get the passenger seat way out of the way if needed.

Last edited:

tom2turbo

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
I hear ya, it would not have been my first color combo choice either. I have the tan in my Golf, and it is awful. Just a filth magnet.

The white doesn't bother me.

I chose the white with biege leather for my identical MKIV. I need to see the inside, and be seen on the outside.