Help with major loss in power off idle

KeithP

We are working on a 1998 TDI Jetta with a complaint of no power above idle.
Floored the engine will not rev above 1600RPM. Here is what we have checked so far: Cam and crank timing is accurate, we went as far as a dial indicator off a valve. Mark is accurate. Basic timing set with Vag. Because this vehicle came with extra parts the injection pump and turbo were swapped with known good units and, the MAf was also replaced. Other things we have looked at:
1. The intercooler was removed and found to be clear and clean.
2. The rubber hose to the ECU is leak free. I tried pressurizing this line and found no engine rpm change at full throttle. Is this normal?
3. Double checked the vacuum line to the turbo wastegate. Pressure moves the linkage.
4. The intake and head was removed and thoughly cleaned.
5. When we unplug the maf sensor, full throttle increases to 2000 rpm and then fizzles.
6. The Cat. converter was removed to confirm that it is unrestricted.
7. There are no engine codes set.
8. The intake pressure is 973mbar at idle and only increases to 1178mbar at full throttle (1500rpm).
9. The injectors are clean and engine compression tests within spec.
Questions:
Could a faulty ECU cause my low/no power condition?
When I pressurize the line going to the ECM should I see an effect on rpm?
What should I check next?

Thanks in advance!!!
Keith

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
KeithP said:
We are working on a 1998 TDI Jetta with a complaint of no power above idle.
Floored the engine will not rev above 1600RPM. Here is what we have checked so far: Cam and crank timing is accurate, we went as far as a dial indicator off a valve. Mark is accurate. Basic timing set with Vag. Because this vehicle came with extra parts the injection pump and turbo were swapped with known good units and, the MAf was also replaced. Other things we have looked at:
1. The intercooler was removed and found to be clear and clean.
2. The rubber hose to the ECU is leak free. I tried pressurizing this line and found no engine rpm change at full throttle. Is this normal?
3. Double checked the vacuum line to the turbo wastegate. Pressure moves the linkage.
4. The intake and head was removed and thoughly cleaned.
5. When we unplug the maf sensor, full throttle increases to 2000 rpm and then fizzles.
6. The Cat. converter was removed to confirm that it is unrestricted.
7. There are no engine codes set.
8. The intake pressure is 973mbar at idle and only increases to 1178mbar at full throttle (1500rpm).
9. The injectors are clean and engine compression tests within spec.
Questions:
Could a faulty ECU cause my low/no power condition?
When I pressurize the line going to the ECM should I see an effect on rpm?
What should I check next?

Thanks in advance!!!
Keith
My wags.

If you're not throwing smoke, you're not air restricted. Turbo area could be totally toast and you wouldn't know it with whatever else you have going on.

Increased pressure to the map wouldn't cause any issues with respect to the engine at 1600 rpm. No turbo at 1600 because not enough fuel = no excess boost = no ability to change boost that isn't there. Need boost to drop boost - if the ecu was clicking that n75 at full might, there isn't the boost to open the wastegate (200 mbar - about 4lbs? it takes about 5-6lbs to open) so no impact.

What soes the VagCom say to the throttle position sensor?

When was the fuel filter changed?

How long has this been going on?

Things I've seen that are easier than swapping out the ecu is to make sure the connector to it is completely clean and corrosion free (redundant?)

If you're sure the fuel system allows proper flow, ecu or ip maybe.

KeithP

Thank you for your quick reply.
I'm using a Snapon code reader with added software to read Vag. What block is the TPS read in? Your comment about boost makes perfect sense. This car is throwing out a lot of white smoke indicating unburned fuel. I'll clean the connections to the ecu before replacing.
Thank you again. Keith

AccountingTroll

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, Pearl White 2006 NB, Red
The only thing you have not checked is fueling. Since there are no codes, I'd start with the TPS.