1998 Jetta TDI rear ended, should I buy it back?

GregR

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, manual
On Jan 8th I was rear ended and the other guy's insurance company wants to "total it" and give me very little money for my car compared to kbb.com and edmunds.com value. Negotiations continue.

My question is: If I buy the car back would somebody here want to buy it?

The jetta is Porcelain blue metallic with alloy wheels, electric windows, power sunroof, AC, AM/FM cassette. It has 174,000 miles. New tires at 170,000 miles. New Struts and shocks at 152,000 miles.

He hit me on the right rear corner. Crunched the truck and right rear quarter panel. Pushed the rear door into the front door to where neither can be opened. I have some digital pictures that I could e-mail you.

I drove it home and it is presently still in my garage near Hillsboro Ohio.

progolfer_20

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sedan
My friend had the similar happen to him, he took the insurance money and then bought the car back and fixed it up. You can always buy it back if they are not asking too much and then part it out, sell parts on ebay. At least if you part it out, others will have to opportunity to get some parts instead of the car sitting in a junk yard.

You could prob easily sell the tires w/rims. Sell the Turbo, A/C Compressor, maybe sell the engine, sell the seats, doors, hood, fenders, etc. If you want to part out check out vwvortex.com. There are alot of people parting out cars on there.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Hi Greg,

I'm interested, looking for a car for my boy. I bought his 1st car and he calls it the Sunturd. He wanted a new radio, and I made the mistake of telling him it will come with your next car. btw, do not part this car out it's not that bad.

Jeff

carjocky

there are a few things to consider before you buy a car back from the insurance company.
What is the dollar amount they are willing to give you for totaling it? What is the $$ amount they are going to ask if you buy it back??

They will probably ask for 60% of the value of the car if you chose to buy it back from the insurance co.
Sometimes you can buy the car back from the Insurance Co and then sell it at an auto auction and make more money than if you just took the insurance settlement check to begin with.

if you do buy it back and keep it, then you have to fix it. this may be more expensive than it is worth.

If you hire a body shop to do the work for cash, you are probably looking at $2500 for repairs with used parts.

janb

Veteran Member
kinda hard hit, will obviously need to be put on the frame rack, $500 - $1500

things to consider, Fix, if it is a good car, and you will still be satisfied (I am not too bothered by 'rear-end' repairs, and have been fixing totals for 30 years) See what it will cost you for an 'identical replacement' (that is YOUR true replacement cost)

I got hit in my A2 Jetta in 4 car pile-up from cell phone talking SUV driver, Ours was not as bad, and they wanted to total it, ($800) I collected all my receipts (as I had put a new 1.9 engine in it) and wrote a concise letter explaining what I wanted (reasonable, but insistant), and included quotes from 3 shops for repair.

I got $2771, (highest estimate) + no totaled title
I fixed it for $100 materials (paint is most expensive part) + frame rack charge ($200) Granted, I would have rather just had my previously non-damaged car.

I have had friends do similar through their lawyers 'letter head'; costs $200 - $500, but if you have a good case it is worth it.

It is necessary to provide information of other sales, that will show the true value of your car (not some 'perceived' number from 'non-diesel' purchasers)
janb