Rear Wheel Bearing Bolt Removal

Überläufer

TDI
2006 Jetta
Rear Wheel Bearing Axle Bolt Removal

Changing a rear wheel bearing on my MkV Jetta, I'm curious if it would be beneficial to have the axle bolt loosened 90 degrees while the tire is still on the ground, like the procedure for removing the axle bolt when changing the front bearings. With the rear hub I'm aware you have to remove the tire to get the dust cap off, but you could do that and then put the tire back on afterward to loosen the bolt. This made removing the axle bolt on the front a heck of a lot easier.
The torque spec on these bolts is 133 ft lb, then a 1/4 turn, so almost as much as the bolt on the front wheels. Reading up on removing the rear before the part comes in, it looks like it's just as much of a pain to remove as the front, almost. Does this sound practical, or is there any reason I should avoid moving the bolt while the wheel is still on the ground? Thanks.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Makes no odds, on the front you're stopping the wheel from spinning because the bolt goes into the driveshaft but the bolt on the rear goes into a solid mounting so wheel on the ground makes no difference.