What to look for after rear-ended

tahoe98issues

This morning I was rear-ended. It appears that the only damage was some white paint from the other car and some scratches/gouges from the license plate of the other car. It did not appear that the bumper had been pushed in at all. I did not look at it too carefully because it was raining. What things would you check out to see if anything is damaged besides the scratches? I think the paint will buff off, and I can live with some scratches on the lower bumper, but if the bumper or anything is pushed in, I would like to get it fixed. Also, I have never been in an accident before so how will this affect my insurance if I get it fixed? Thanks in advance.

snoopis

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI, 5spd
Sorry to hear about your accident. I'm not exactly sure what you should look for, but I have heard from several people that a bumper is only good for one impact. In other words, it is highly recommended that you replace it to prevent more serious damage in the event of this happening again.

Of course, most people (if they have the offender's insurance info) just take the check from the insurance company, and spend it on something else. Your call.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
The bumper has a steel beam under it (yes real heavy honest to goodness iron plate). Over the steel is a foam insert that seperates the Plastic outer cover and the steel.

Check the alignment of the plastic cover where the wheel well is, if it's lined up nicely your ok and there is no damage.

DB

BawlsyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, someday a getta, 2001, baltic green
Check your windshield. Mine cracked when I was rear ended. But, other than that and some scrapes, no real damage. Also, your insureance should be notified, as should the offending parties. They should cover any and all damages.

rmorgan

Veteran Member
I got popped last month and had it fixed at a body shop specializing in German automobiles. Alstate, the guy's insurance company was trying to wiggle out of replacing the bumper (they just wanted to repaint it) though mine was creased. They ended up replacing everything, came to about $1000 in total damage. Have the insurance adjuster replace the bumper when you go in so you won't have to wait a week for them to send one out when your car is already in the shop.

Other than that, the body shop told me our cars can take a really good hit and have minimal damage. Mine is good as new now.

Good luck!

tahoe98issues

Thanks for the advise everyone. I am still debating getting insurance involved since in MN we have no fault, and I may get hit with an accident on my record. Thanks again.

tokolosh

TDI
Golf/Passat TDI
Call your agent. Getting rear-ended is an offence around these parts and it's definitely the fault of the offending driver.

tokolosh