It's a BRAND NEW CAR!!!

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Okay... Not really. But the odometer almost makes it look new: ;)

I can't get used to seeing that odo with only a few numbers on it. I almost want to rush the next 100,000 miles so the cluster looks "normal" again. :D

:)

Scott

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
congrats on the "milestone"!

do all of the tdi's have this limitation?

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
New Beetles can only record trip miles to 1999.9 then it resets to 0.

Thats how it was in my 2002, I did it three times to verify I wasn't going crazy.

peapodtdi

TDI
2005 Beetle GLS TDI
I have a 05 Beetle, will it do this? What does MK3 stand for? I assume its something to do with the generation of TDI engine correct?

Thanks!

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
peapodtdi said:
I have a 05 Beetle, will it do this? What does MK3 stand for? I assume its something to do with the generation of TDI engine correct?

Thanks!
It has to do with the generation of the Jetta/Golf platform. Mk3 stands for the 3rd generation of this platform, which was 1993-1999 in the U.S. The Beetle is on the Mk4 platform (for the beetle, this means 1998-current).

Short answer; no, your Beetle won't reset at 300,000.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Also, the first New Beetles were based on the MKIV Golf platform. I'm not sure if the newer NBs were MKIV based or if VW used the newer chassis. But the 1998-1999 NBs have no MKIII blood in them.

Jetta SS

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
On my one and only visit to the dealership, the service writer wanted to know why I only had 10k on the odo. Did I have the dash replaced? LOL, think they'd know about this if anyone.

JDub8

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 2.0 AVH
scmadm said:
Why in the world would they make a digital readout odometer have a limitation like that???
This.

It's not like its some multiple of 32 signifying that the variables value simply gets too big... 300,000 is (from a computer limitation perspective) arbitrary.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
Stealth TDI said:
Okay... Not really. But the odometer almost makes it look new: ;)

I can't get used to seeing that odo with only a few numbers on it. I almost want to rush the next 100,000 miles so the cluster looks "normal" again. :D

:)

Scott
Scott,

Let's say you're driving like 73 mph there. How is it in two minutes [by your clock on dash] you traveled 1 mile? Every 43 seconds you should be covering a mile? Is it possible that ....

Never mind. LOL:D

Great going. Impeccable dash cluster face dude. That cluster plastic looks brand new.

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
BrianCT said:
Scott,

Let's say you're driving like 73 mph there. How is it in two minutes [by your clock on dash] you traveled 1 mile? Every 43 seconds you should be covering a mile? Is it possible that ....

Never mind. LOL:D

Great going. Impeccable dash cluster face dude. That cluster plastic looks brand new.
I want to hear what you did not say...

(I did notice that the fuel usage was NIL as expected...:) )

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Brian,

BrianCT said:
Let's say you're driving like 73 mph there. How is it in two minutes [by your clock on dash] you traveled 1 mile? Every 43 seconds you should be covering a mile? Is it possible that ...
I had some guys on the Vortex suggest my feat was fake. Not that I think that's your goal, but I'll still provide the same explanation:

Technically, the photos could have been taken anywhere between 299999.1 and 000001.9, a spread of 1.8 miles. At 74-mph (actual speed), I had ~1:27 to snap the photos (I actually shot a video between the photos, too). In short, time 3:46:50 pm plus 0:01:27 equals 3:48:17 pm, or "one mile" in "two minutes." ;)

Later,

Scott

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
Stealth TDI said:
Brian,

I had some guys on the Vortex suggest my feat was fake. Not that I think that's your goal, but I'll still provide the same explanation:

Later,

Scott
I was prodding you.:D You're a stickler for detail.

Not at all. Totally believe that turn over. You're just a perfectionist at heart.

No harm. Humour.

BrianCT

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
24" rims/spinners, and the works? lol

Congrates on the higher mileage. I have 98MKIII (The Bomb) with 313K, a 99 MKIII with over 286K, and a 2000 MKIV with 276 (daily driver). Keep the wheels turning. Ed.

candela

TDI
'04 tacoma doublecab TRD // '76 porsche 912E
congratulations on the new car status.... oughta flip people out when they look at your dials....

dobeonguard

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDi
Actually while living in Germany I did some odd jobs for a car dealer to earn extra Bier Geld, (beer money) :) Anyway, on several cars this dealer sold he rolled back the odometer. On the BMW, Mercedes and VW with a digital readout, he called a guy that drove in from the Netherlands with this tricked out BMW wagon, in the back was a hidden floor compartment that opened up to 4 different computer systems to digitally reset the odometers. Knowing it was illegal to some degree I asked how much, he said it depended on where he was caught. He traveled most of western Europe charging people to do this, penalties ranged from 1 yr to 4yrs in prison. :eek: