12 Volt Power Outlets

Airplane MD

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta pkg 1
Here's a good one. My '06 5 speed pkg 1 has power outlets that are always hot, as mentioned in the owners manual. My wife's '06 DSG pkg 2 has power outlets that are not powered until the ignition is switched on, also mentioned properly in her owners manual. It would be nice to have at least one hot one for cell phone charging etc. Any hints as to how to proceed?

Airplane MD

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta pkg 1
I checked the thread and it has some tips that might pan out, but the fact is, the owners manual is correct in each instance. One says hot, the other is not. Unless I missed it, how is an ignition on only car converted to normally hot full time?

IBWALT

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
VW changed the wiring in mid production. Early cars have the outlets hot all of the time and later cars the outlets are not hot until the key is turned on. There was some thought that VAG-Com could turn the outlets on. There is a thread in the OBD section that talks about it but no one ever was able to discover out how to do it or if it could even be done. The general opinion was that it could not be done. The jumper mentioned in the thread in my previous post is the only answer that I know of to date that has any merit or chance of powering the outlets all the time.