stick with G52 in your tranny - here's why...

2footbraker

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 01 Golf
Just went to Redline MTL in my 5 speed. I have a SMF, so this is an attempt to quiet down my neutral rattle with a heavier weight oil. Seems to be a little quieter but I have no real numbers or recordings to show for it. I think it's probably not really worth it to switch but it's not worse either.

Shifter feel actually feels a little smoother. The real test will be in the winter.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
As a note....I did the 5th gear swap and ended up changing out the trans fluid. My car has spent it's whole life in the South, in Austin Tx and now in Southern Ca. 85k miles. The fluid looked kinda crappy....glad I changed it.

Asked the dealer specifically for G070xxx and they showed me that G055 has superseded the G070. $14 qt, hope it is synthetic.

Shifting seems a wee bit smoother, but nothing big.

windsolar

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, 2006 Golf TDI
Automatic transmission fluid, when to change and what oil to use

I have an 03 Jetta with over 100,000 miles and think it is time for a transmission fluid change. Am I correct in my thinking? Runs great and drives well. What oil should I use? Windsolar

raybo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW DSG White Gold
mannytranny said:
As a note....I did the 5th gear swap and ended up changing out the trans fluid. My car has spent it's whole life in the South, in Austin Tx and now in Southern Ca. 85k miles. The fluid looked kinda crappy....glad I changed it.

Asked the dealer specifically for G070xxx and they showed me that G055 has superseded the G070. $14 qt, hope it is synthetic.

Shifting seems a wee bit smoother, but nothing big.
Manny -

What did the dealer show you - my '01 will be getting a change soon, and I'm not sure if I should put in the old G50 or "the latest".

Thanks,
Ray

l_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Wrecked and gone: VW Jetta wagon 2002 silver TDI
windsolar, I wonder whether the gearbox oil level has been checked on your vehicle. I know it's not noticeably consumed during use; but, opening the plug is a chance to take a little sample of the fluid, to see its color/consistency.
If you get a little sample of it and it looks really good, and it's shifting nicely, then perhaps you ought to wait another couple of years for the fluid change.

I don't recall what the Bentley maintenance chart says, as far as the "change" interval (it might be 100k miles). I don't have time to look for that information right now. Larry

windsolar

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, 2006 Golf TDI
Thanks Larry,

It was suggested that I change it by a friend that owns a Jetta. I couldn't find a suggested interval in the owners manual. Chris

l_c said:
windsolar, I wonder whether the gearbox oil level has been checked on your vehicle. I know it's not noticeably consumed during use; but, opening the plug is a chance to take a little sample of the fluid, to see its color/consistency.
If you get a little sample of it and it looks really good, and it's shifting nicely, then perhaps you ought to wait another couple of years for the fluid change.

I don't recall what the Bentley maintenance chart says, as far as the "change" interval (it might be 100k miles). I don't have time to look for that information right now. Larry

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
here is what I picked up from Europe this summer

Castrol Syntraxx 75W-90 , note the similar bottles , I guess Castrol makes G52

BTW, Syntraxx costs 12 euros

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
No, Castrol doesn't make G52! 100% sure.

Could anyone do a VOA for those oils:
G 052 171 A2;
Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 (GL-5).

I believe these both should be the same and Fuchs is expected to be tranny oil supplier to VW.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
jerry_m said:
No, Castrol doesn't make G52! 100% sure.

Could anyone do a VOA for those oils:
G 052 171 A2;
Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 (GL-5).

I believe these both should be the same and Fuchs is expected to be tranny oil supplier to VW.
well, the bottles are the same

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
Dmitri, are you completely sure the factory fill was Castrol or you're just making a guess according to similar bottles? The reason I'm asking is that I was (prior to what you said) completely sure that G 052 171 A2 had viscosity of 75w80..

robdubya

TDI
2004 Golf TDI
Dimitri16V please contact me

Dimitri16V I just noticed your reply to my post from 2006 regarding egr cooler. yes I am referring to Smith VW in Delaware. Please contact me at marob@comcast.net. I may have some work for you. Thanks in advance.
robdubya

socrates42

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI pkg 1
so on the newer transmissions, 06 manual, you would want to use the redline mtf, or G52, or G55 or an unknown amsoil? Just trying to figure out 30 pages of posts

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
I recently switched out the MTL/MT90 mix in the NB with G060 fluid and was immediately impressed at the excellent shift quality and how it made the car feel peppier overall.

So much so that I dumped the MTL in my transmission in favor of G070 at the recent West Allis WI GTG - even though it only had about 30k km on it. I had a very slight feeling of slow synchronizer engagement and a few notchy shifts with MTL (still better than the stock fluid, though). All of that is completely gone with G070 and the shifts are nice, light & precise now.

I used to recommend MTL but the OEM fluids have gotten so much better so quickly I now recommend G070 over everything else.

Diesel Addict

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI (manual)
scurvy said:
I recently switched out the MTL/MT90 mix in the NB with G060 fluid and was immediately impressed at the excellent shift quality and how it made the car feel peppier overall.

So much so that I dumped the MTL in my transmission in favor of G070 at the recent West Allis WI GTG - even though it only had about 30k km on it. I had a very slight feeling of slow synchronizer engagement and a few notchy shifts with MTL (still better than the stock fluid, though). All of that is completely gone with G070 and the shifts are nice, light & precise now.

I used to recommend MTL but the OEM fluids have gotten so much better so quickly I now recommend G070 over everything else.
So is it the G060 or G070 that you recommend? Have you tried just pure MTL without MT90 mixed in?

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Diesel Addict said:
So is it the G060 or G070 that you recommend? Have you tried just pure MTL without MT90 mixed in?
Either one is an upgrade AFAIC - G070 seems to be the most widely available one these days.

My Golf had straight MTL in its transmission - the NB had the MTL/MT90 mix.

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
What about notchy shifts with G060 compared to G052? My '04 Golf is having some hard shifting issues...I don't like it one bit. I had the gear oil changed in April (OEM to G060, @ 98k).

Can I still buy G052 somewhere instead of G060?

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
dieselpower04 said:
What about notchy shifts with G060 compared to G052? My '04 Golf is having some hard shifting issues...I don't like it one bit. I had the gear oil changed in April (OEM to G060, @ 98k).
Did you also realign the shifter linkage and lube its sliders at the top of the transmission? Takes all of 5 minutes and can make a world of difference in shift quality.

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
scurvy said:
Did you also realign the shifter linkage and lube its sliders at the top of the transmission? Takes all of 5 minutes and can make a world of difference in shift quality.

No I didn't but I can look up how to! Or you could tell me!! :D

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
Is g60 or g70 synthetic? I am noticing some notchiness with the g60 now that it's getting colder out and was wondering if I should be changing the fluid or something...

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW 5spd (dual duty track car and daily driver beater)
IIRC they both are but G60 is thicker, so makes sense that you're experiencing notchier shifting.

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
Aha! thanks for the info, i'll switch it out one of these days. Would do it now were it not for the jerk who changed it the last time (before I had to do it by suctioning out of the fill hole) having tightened the drain plug to ridiculous torque...

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
SUNRG said:
If your transmission specifies G52 fluid I highly recommend sticking with it as opposed to changing it out for one of the popular/common replacement manual transmission fluids because the viscosity of G52 is much thinner:
Viscosity Comparison @ 100 C

10.6 = Redline MTL 70-80
13.8 = Amsoil MTG 75-90
15.2 = Motul Gear 300 75-90
15.6 = Redline MT-90 75-90
15.0 = Elf Tranself Synthese FE 75-90
16.7 = Motul MOTYLGEAR 75-90

6.3 = OEM G52 (part numbers G052726A2 / G05272601)

With just over 43,000 miles on my 2004 Golf TDI 5-speed I drained my manual transmission fluid, re-filled with Motul Gear 300, and I brought samples of both the used G52 and new Motul Gear 300 to my local CAT fluid analysis lab.

Since I had written on the G52 oil sample label 75w-90 the lab viscosity tested the sample twice - both times returning a V@100c of 6.4.

My thinking was that either the OEM oil sheared way down OR the OEM fluid started out much lighter than the expected 75w-90.

So, I went to my local dealer this morning, bought a liter of G52, then drove to my local CAT fluid analysis lab and watched as he tested its viscosity right in front of me.

The result: VOA viscosity of G52 = 6.3

OEM G52 did not shear down at all in 43,000 miles of use:
V@100c: New G52=6.3, G52 after 43,000 miles = 6.4

Additionally, in these crazy unseasonably warm temps the Motul Gear 300 shifts fine - but early yesterday morning when temps were in the mid 40s - the first few shifts with Motul Gear 300 were noticably more effortful than the G52 ever was - even at below 0 temps.

Point being that even though Motul Gear 300 has an outstandingly low pour point (flows to -60) - **the 75-90 viscosity of common gear / manual transmission oils is IMO not suitable for use in VW transmissions where G52 is specified.**

OEM G52: 43k UOA

Motul Gear 300: VOA (this is as expected from a 75w-90 oil)
Since this thread spans almost 4 years, F/F (fast forward) to December 12, 2009 for the latest updates (@ the local VW dealer).

For a 2003 Jetta TDI (5 spd MANUAL), I bought 2 L of the following transmission oil:

G060726A2

@ 16.25 per L (before preferred customer discount)

The parts person not only spent time in both manual and computer research (30 min) but called their central VW technical line to verify.

subsonic44

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI 6-spd. Loyal
Well,
I have a 09 6-spd. I have been having the front end noise while turning the steering wheel,. and some notchy shifting from 1st to 2nd in cold weather.
From what I understand, the 09 came with G052171A2.
VW tecnical support instructed the dealer to drain and refil with the new G070. The noise does seem to have quited down. Have only heard the front end noise once, very faintly since the swap.

Does anyone have any good technical info on the new G070 fluid? I would like to compare it against the data for the G052171A2 from earlier in this post.

Does any wear or damage occur from the spider gears contacting the thrust washer?
Thanks, Jim