www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old November 18th, 2018, 15:35   #1
Nebelwerfer
Veteran Member

Default Anyone else get this for their car that got the Gen 2 fix?

Anyone else get this?

"Dear Volkswagen Owner or Lessee,

Our records indicate that you are the owner or lessee of a Generation 2 model year 2012-2014 TDI Passat (“Gen 2 Passat”) with an automatic transmission, and that you received the Approved Emissions Modification (“AEM”) for your Gen 2 Passat. This notice is to inform you that Volkswagen has identified a problem with the AEM that was installed in your vehicle.

Volkswagen has determined that the AEM installed in Gen 2 Passat vehicles injects an inadequate amount of Diesel Exhaust Fluid when driven over 128km/h for 15 minutes or longer. The 15 minutes do not have to be continuous. The issue can occur after 15 minutes driven over separate driving periods. This issue causes a Malfunction Indicator Light (“MIL”), i.e. the dashboard warning lights, to illuminate. If your MIL illuminates, Volkswagen recommends that you visit an authorized Volkswagen dealer as soon as it is safe to do so. The authorized dealer will turn off the MIL free of charge. The MIL will not illuminate again unless the vehicle is driven over 128km/h for another 15 minutes or longer.

If you do not visit a dealer after your MIL illuminates, you will hear an audible warning chime. After 300 kilometres, the vehicle will not restart after it is shut off.

Volkswagen is awaiting U.S Environmental Protection Agency approval of the software calibration update to correct this issue. Once approved, you will receive a notice informing you that the software update is available. You may then bring your Gen 2 Passat to your authorized Volkswagen dealer who will update the software calibration in your vehicle free of charge. Volkswagen recommends avoiding driving over 128km/h until the software calibration in your vehicle has been updated. For more details, please see the emissions recall update letter available here.

If you have any questions, you may visit www.VWCanadaSettlement.ca for more information or contact the Canadian Settlement Claims Centre at 1-888-670-4773.

Sincerely,

RicePoint Administration Inc.

RECEIPT OF THIS NOTICE DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU ARE A SETTLEMENT CLASS MEMBER OR THAT YOU ARE ENTITLED TO RECEIVE SETTLEMENT BENEFITS"
Old November 18th, 2018, 17:28   #2
goodmonkey
Veteran Member

I've not got a notice yet, but we've been talking about it here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=493915.
Previous TDI's: 1996 Passat TDI- totaled at 394k miles, 1998 Passat TDI - 175k miles, 2012 Passat TDI SE - 41k, 1996 Passat TDI Variant - 327k, 2014 Jetta SportWagon TDI 6MT - 29k, 2015 Passat TDI SEL - 18k, 2006 Jetta TDI 5MT - 261k
goodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2018, 19:21   #3
06bluebeetletdi
Veteran Member

Not yet, did get the warranty extension for the clock spring today.
06bluebeetletdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2018, 19:52   #4
jrm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/52

I paid $500 for a clock spring, hope I get my warranty extension before vw finds out the vin was totaled
2009 Highlander Hybrid aka the HIHY 25MPG
1996 Dodge mechanical Cummins 12V 2500 4x4
jrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2018, 12:43   #5
FedAgent1896

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebelwerfer View Post
Anyone else get this?
"Dear Volkswagen Owner or Lessee,
Our records indicate that you are the owner or lessee of a Generation 2 model year 2012-2014 TDI Passat (“Gen 2 Passat”) with an automatic transmission, and that you received the Approved Emissions Modification (“AEM”) for your Gen 2 Passat. This notice is to inform you that Volkswagen has identified a problem with the AEM that was installed in your vehicle.
Volkswagen has determined that the AEM installed in Gen 2 Passat vehicles injects an inadequate amount of Diesel Exhaust Fluid when driven over 128km/h for 15 minutes or longer. The 15 minutes do not have to be continuous. The issue can occur after 15 minutes driven over separate driving periods. This issue causes a Malfunction Indicator Light (“MIL”), i.e. the dashboard warning lights, to illuminate. If your MIL illuminates, Volkswagen recommends that you visit an authorized Volkswagen dealer as soon as it is safe to do so. The authorized dealer will turn off the MIL free of charge. The MIL will not illuminate again unless the vehicle is driven over 128km/h for another 15 minutes or longer.
If you do not visit a dealer after your MIL illuminates, you will hear an audible warning chime. After 300 kilometres, the vehicle will not restart after it is shut off.
Volkswagen is awaiting U.S Environmental Protection Agency approval of the software calibration update to correct this issue. Once approved, you will receive a notice informing you that the software update is available. You may then bring your Gen 2 Passat to your authorized Volkswagen dealer who will update the software calibration in your vehicle free of charge. Volkswagen recommends avoiding driving over 128km/h until the software calibration in your vehicle has been updated. For more details, please see the emissions recall update letter available here.
If you have any questions, you may visit www.VWCanadaSettlement.ca for more information or contact the Canadian Settlement Claims Centre at 1-888-670-4773.
Sincerely,
RicePoint Administration Inc.
RECEIPT OF THIS NOTICE DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU ARE A SETTLEMENT CLASS MEMBER OR THAT YOU ARE ENTITLED TO RECEIVE SETTLEMENT BENEFITS"
My car sat at a dealership in St. Cloud, MN from February 16, 2018 until I picked it up on Nov 16th, 2018. I took it in for the not yet identified problem that was mentioned in that letter. They knew something was wrong back in February because there was a VW Tech Tip - 26-12-02 that said I could either drive the car and come in and have the MIL turned off for free, or if I didn't want to do that, I was to be given a loaner vehicle. I had a loaner vehicle until I moved out of state when they switched me in to a rental car. I had the rental car from the beginning of June until I drove back to get my car in November. Kept 12,000 miles off my ride this year for their mistake.
Old December 13th, 2018, 12:28   #6
fredthe
Veteran Member

I got the letter a couple of says ago indicating that there's now a fix for the issue.

fredthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2018, 06:11   #7
Lex Tdi
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2013 Passat

Me too! Left two message for vw service to set appointment, still no follow up... wonderful customer service those dealers have!
Thanks to Paramedick (Bruce) for being my local Guru for over a decade!
Lex Tdi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2018, 17:02   #8
bustNfuel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39-42

I received the original notice awhile back, but have not received a notification of the 'fix' as of yet.

bustNfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2018, 18:59   #9
tadawson
Veteran Member

I got the 'we have a fix for this' letter this past Wednesday . . . have not yet had a chance to try to get it done.

Last edited by tadawson; December 16th, 2018 at 13:11.
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2018, 05:34   #10
06bluebeetletdi
Veteran Member

I have not received either letter. Mine was a buyback, so maybe that is the difference.
06bluebeetletdi is offline   Reply With Quote