www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old December 9th, 2018, 18:40   #16
viking427
Veteran Member

TDI(s): VW

Thankfully, VWs decision to release the cars back into circulation has extended the lifespan of the mk7 TDI by many years. For parts suppliers, it's a numbers/volume economics calculation. More cars in circulation = greater parts demand = more parts availability at cheaper prices.

However, the oem extended warranty has stalled the aftermarket/performance market for mk7 TDI power train parts. Greatly reduced volume of people in our post DG world willing to sacrifice the extended warranty by modding their cars. Considering the extended warranty, the long term outlook for the performance parts market for mk7 TDI may be bleak. The sweet spot for warranty expirations is 10-12 years. By then, most folks will likely have moved on to other cars.
Old December 10th, 2018, 11:51   #17
gqboy

TDI(s): 2015 Golf

Bought mine last year. Just only wish I can find cheap LED headlights so I can swap out my Halogens.... and upgrade my infotainment system without paying an arm and a leg.
gqboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2018, 11:58   #18
Nuje
Veteran Member

You can get cheap, or you can get good; with headlights, I'd opt for the latter.

Price-wise for "good", you're probably not going to do better than Ed's (becautoparts.com) with the added bonus that he's in Vancouver, so shipping isn't a nightmare (present Canada Post parcel backlog, notwithstanding).
Nuje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2018, 21:36   #19
keith102
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: .

I'm excited to see some of these TDIs back in the market. I've been driving TDIs for the last 10 years and was looking to upgrade to a 15 Golf. Hoping the prices go down as more TDIs make their way into the market.
keith102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2018, 00:06   #20
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

I'm sure there are a lot of folks that are still seeking medical attention because of the royal screwing they got from VW on their DieselGate cars. For VW Diesels, my BRM is the end of the line for VW Diesels.

I really wanted to like the EA288 engine, but when I saw the completely bogus complexity built int it, I thought no way. Seriously, we need to put a leash on the EPA so that VW can stop implementing emission standard that do almost nothing for the environment on a global scale yet cost car owners thousands of dollars in emission repairs.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2018, 05:11   #21
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Rattler View Post
I'm sure there are a lot of folks that are still seeking medical attention because of the royal screwing they got from VW on their DieselGate cars.
I don't think this is tongue-in-cheek, but it should be. Apparently you haven't been reading all the posts from people bragging about how much they received from VW for their used TDIs during the buyback. More appropriate would be that VW got screwed.
Old December 16th, 2018, 07:08   #22
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

^^You are too kind. A willfully misinformed comment like the one above could only come across as “tongue in cheek” in a skit on Saturday Night Live. I wrote a lot more just now, then deleted it because I realized that this is how trolls win, by getting the rest of us to veer off topic.
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2018, 15:15   #23
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
I don't think this is tongue-in-cheek, but it should be. Apparently you haven't been reading all the posts from people bragging about how much they received from VW for their used TDIs during the buyback. More appropriate would be that VW got screwed.
O.K. I guess a lot of people made out very well. I was referring to others that were on the dark side of the buyback that were put in a very bad financial position for various reasons when they tried to sell back their cars. Some people did have to spend some major cash in some cases to make their cars eligible for the buyback.

Not tongue in cheek for those people.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook

Last edited by Ol'Rattler; December 16th, 2018 at 15:21.
Old December 16th, 2018, 15:22   #24
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:
O.K. I guess a lot of people made out very well. I was referring to others that were on the dark side of the buyback that were put in a very bad financial position for various reasons when they tried to sell back their cars. Some people did have to spend some major cash in some cases to make their cars eligible for the buyback.
No they weren't. No one required them to sell the car back. Besides, requirement for selling the car back was only that the car had to get to the dealer under its own power. Cars with serious mechanical problems were sold back. Wrecked cars were sold back. I don't think anyone took a financial hit selling a car back to VW.

Last edited by IndigoBlueWagon; December 16th, 2018 at 15:26.
IndigoBlueWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2018, 03:15   #25
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Kind of an oversimplification me thinks. Check out this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...highlight=hpfp

I remember several post from people that had bad experiences with the recall and will post back if I can find those threads. Fair enough?
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
Old December 17th, 2018, 04:14   #26
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Come on Rattler, give it up. We all made out like bandits while you're stuck with your old cam eating brm. Just accept it.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2018, 15:34   #27
Miss_Athanatos
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjamesohio View Post
I realize that I could also be wrong - enthusiasm in the ranks may be dwindling due to mileage improvement with the gassers, "disgust" with VW for the scandal, but what is the temperature here amongst the TDI faithful?

For my part - I am really enjoying my 'new to me' car, and expect to continue to enjoy it for a LOOONNNNGGGG time. So I'm interested in re-kindled TDI events, more info, et al.

There have to be a lot of new folks coming into TDIs now for similar reasons. I am curious as to what everyone thinks for the future of our little 'cult'?

Would love to hear both other TDI noobs and long-time TDI geeks on the state of the union.

I'm still driving my GSW completely stock. It's only got 30K miles on it since I bought it in 2015 and the original tires still look brand new. I am an enthusiast and didn't need the cash, so didn't even consider getting the "fix". The whole dieselgate nonsense did not diminish my enthusiasm in the TDI, but surely did injure my future intentions vis-à-vis Volkswagen.

I would probably buy another TDI in the future if the opportunity came up and the price was right, but I'm not going to follow any future VW development.

2015 VW Golf SportWagen TDI S, 6-speed manual
2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 6.7L Cummins, 6-speed manual
Miss_Athanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2018, 20:51   #28
laughingbasho
Default Back in with Mk 6 Golf, liking it

I thought I would never drive a TDI again when I turned in my 2012 Golf in 2017 for more than I paid for it three years earlier. But I missed the car, the warranties and pricing were attractive, and performance seems ok - so two weeks ago. I bought a 2011 Golf TDI, DSG this time, 45,000 miles, CPO warranty.
So far, I am thrilled! Engine does not seem to have lost much with the fix, and the DSG is MUCH better. Miss the pre-fix mpg.
Sooo... I am back — with (tentative) enthusiasm. ;’)
laughingbasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2018, 06:57   #29
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
Come on Rattler, give it up. We all made out like bandits while you're stuck with your old cam eating brm. Just accept it.
Regardless, I have no horse in this race anyway. Just IMVHO voicing my utter distaste for the 2009 thru 2014 cars. And quite true. Many people made out like bandits.

Not stuck at all. I did replace the cam somewhat preemptively (early signs of wear) when I did my 1st T/B. The new cam included reworked bearing and some addition oiling improvements. When I did my 2nd T/B, the replacement cam with 100K miles on it showed no signs of premature wear. Most likely I won't keep my car past 350K to 400K miles so I probably won't ever have to replace my 2nd cam.

Unlike a 2009 thru 2014 CR which will be BER (Beyond Economic Repair) when it is 5 to 7 years old. Let's see:
  • HPFP failure which requires complete fuel system replacement.
  • Premature turbo replacement at about 120K miles because of nose bleed high EGR temps from regens.
  • Premature cracked DPF replacement do to poor engineering.
  • If the DPF fails the cat will need to be replaced because it is the same housing. (2009 only)
  • De contented option packages for some years.
I could not imagine spending thousands of dollars in repairs on a car when it reaches the 5 to 7 year old mark.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook

Last edited by Ol'Rattler; December 19th, 2018 at 07:52.
Old December 19th, 2018, 09:04   #30
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:
Unlike a 2009 thru 2014 CR which will be BER (Beyond Economic Repair) when it is 5 to 7 years old. Let's see:
  • HPFP failure which requires complete fuel system replacement.
  • Premature turbo replacement at about 120K miles because of nose bleed high EGR temps from regens.
  • Premature cracked DPF replacement do to poor engineering.
  • If the DPF fails the cat will need to be replaced because it is the same housing. (2009 only)
  • De contented option packages for some years.
I could not imagine spending thousands of dollars in repairs on a car when it reaches the 5 to 7 year old mark.
All of these items are covered under the extended emissions warranty. In the case of my 2015 they're covered until the car reaches 162K miles or 2028, whichever comes first.