www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old December 15th, 2018, 22:09   #1
g0nefish1n

TDI(s): 2001 NB alh
Default 2001 tdi runaway compression results questions

Update a few threads down.

Greetings all! I recently had a short run away experience with my 2001 TDI beetle. Long story short I was coming home and I lost power and tons of smoke. I was really close to home so I pulled in the driveway and when I went to turn her off it started to rev but I stalle it out before it got over 3500 RPMs. there was a puddle of oil underneath and I knew that I'd obviously fried the Turbo. I pulled the intercooler and there was metal pieces in it.
I ran a a compression test after blowing all the oil out through the glow plug holes. I got 430, 400, 400, 405.
I'm super low on funds and need to get my car back on the road as soon as possible. Should I risk replacing the turbo and cleaning out the intercooler and running it? Or does it appear as if I have three bent rods? I did a search and found most people have a much greater difference in compression between cylinders. What is the next course of action with a tight budget considered? Thank you in advance.

Last edited by g0nefish1n; January 7th, 2019 at 16:03.
g0nefish1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2018, 22:39   #2
csstevej
Veteran Member

Personally I think your good.
I would pull your intercooler, and all pipes off flush and clean them well.
I would redo the compression test again to make sure.
If any rods get bent it’s usually 2 and 3, due to the straight shot into those cylinders.
I’d find a good used turbo from someone on here, DO NOT get an aftermarket one off eBay.
Make sure it’s at least an oem one.

When everything is together be prepared to smoke out your neighborhood as any oil that made it to the cat and muffler need to burn off.
Your gonna need to do some spirited runs.

When my son snapped his turbo shaft in half, it took almost 30 minutes of hard driving to stop smoking, but then again he duped a lot of oil into th exhaust.
Old December 16th, 2018, 03:57   #3
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

Your numbers are all close and within spec.

Yeah when I broke my turbo after cleaning everything up I had about a 10 mile run that laid down a huge smoke screen.

When it’s all back together pull the glow plugs to turn it over the first time so you can blow any residual oil out and not risk a hydrolock.
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2018, 08:03   #4
g0nefish1n

Thanks for the replies, guys. I was actually looking at a few different turbos on eBay. LOL I am trying to get an oe one if I can, not one of the China ones... As tempting as they are. I did a second compression test and the numbers were pretty much identical to the first test.
Old December 16th, 2018, 13:07   #5
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

For turbos, oem will be a vnt 15 , idparts, metalmanparts, cascadegerman, fixmyvw, all have oem Garrett vnt15’s. You will also need a new oil feed line because it’s unlikely you’ll get the old one off without breaking it. I recommend a flexible braided line from cascadegerman, all 3 of my tdi’s have them now.

So much easier to install.

Stay away from eBay unless it’s one of those sellers, all of whom sell on eBay.
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2018, 16:45   #6
maxmoo
Veteran Member

The Mahle vnt15 turbo is also an excellent oem replacement for a few dollars less than the Garrett......

https://www.idparts.com/vnt-15-turbo...le-p-4608.html
maxmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2019, 16:03   #7
g0nefish1n

Update:

Afraid its only bad news. I finally got the money to make repairs. Based on my compression test i decided to get a rebuilt garrett turbo. I installed the turbo over the weekend. I took my time, double checked everything, and got everything put back together today. Well, I went to turn the engine over for 10 seconds to get oil pumping through the turbo lines but my car didn't want to turn over very fast. Now, just to let you know, my starter has been acting a little funny before all this. It sounded a little weird when starting, and would slow crank often. Anyway, after it turned over 5 or 6 times really slowly smoke started coming up from the battery area I have no idea why from there, as i didn't do any work near there! I couldn't see exactly where it came from, but both battery post were warm. The negative side appears to have gotten hot enough to melt the tape around it. I reached under and the starter was pretty warm itself also. The solenoid was very cold. (working in 40 degrees). If it was bent rods, would that cause it to turn over very slow? I am thinking i might actually have bent rods, which made it hard for the engine to turn over, which overworked the starter causing it to overheat. Is that plausable? The battery was replaced about 2 months ago with a cheap walmart store brand battery.

I am stumped and at my wits ends, guys. My boss is pretty decent but if i can't get back to work this week i am gonna get fired. I am almost out of money to make anymore repairs or buy replacement parts. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. What might i have overlooked? thank you.

Last edited by g0nefish1n; January 7th, 2019 at 16:08.
Old January 7th, 2019, 16:11   #8
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

Charge the battery and clean the connections until they are shiny lead.
The starter cable also can corrode and need cleaning or replacement.
Last but not least clean the ground connections under the battery.
Old January 7th, 2019, 16:42   #9
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

You most likely have bent rods. I know the same thing happened to my 2002 until the rod came through the block.
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2019, 16:44   #10
g0nefish1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee View Post
Charge the battery and clean the connections until they are shiny lead.
The starter cable also can corrode and need cleaning or replacement.
Last but not least clean the ground connections under the battery.
The battery terminal connectors are 2 months old with the battery, and are like new condition. The ground and connections were all redone as well. I just rechecked them to make sure, and the grounds and connections all seem to be within reason.
Old January 7th, 2019, 16:45   #11
g0nefish1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Chris View Post
You most likely have bent rods. I know the same thing happened to my 2002 until the rod came through the block.

Thanks for responding. What do you mean same thing? slow cranking and you thought it was the starter? Did you get smoke from your battery/starter also?
Old January 7th, 2019, 17:04   #12
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Chris View Post
His compression test looks pretty good, though. Usually if rods get bent in a runaway #2 and/or #3 are *way* lower than #1 and #4.

A bent rod or two also wouldn't likely cause slow cranking all on their own IMHO... in fact the lower compression should make it easier. After my runaway 2&3 were in the 100 psi range and she cranked over just fine.

My guess... apples and oranges. Starter (which sounds like it was acting strange in advance of this incident) has gone sideways, causing a larger-than-normal current draw which is overheating the wiring.

I suppose it's possible that the runaway did some other damage, but it sounds like it cranked over just fine before when doing the compression test?

Auto store can test the starter and rule it in or out as a suspect.

Note: The above is to the best of my knowledge- but at the end of the day simply interweb opinion, worth EXACTLY what you paid for it, and if used done so at your own risk.
Vince Waldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2019, 17:39   #13
g0nefish1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Waldon View Post
His compression test looks pretty good, though. Usually if rods get bent in a runaway #2 and/or #3 are *way* lower than #1 and #4.
A bent rod or two also wouldn't likely cause slow cranking all on their own IMHO... in fact the lower compression should make it easier. After my runaway 2&3 were in the 100 psi range and she cranked over just fine.
My guess... apples and oranges. Starter (which sounds like it was acting strange in advance of this incident) has gone sideways, causing a larger-than-normal current draw which is overheating the wiring.
I suppose it's possible that the runaway did some other damage, but it sounds like it cranked over just fine before when doing the compression test?
Auto store can test the starter and rule it in or out as a suspect.
Thank you so much for your quick and thorough response, sir. Can the local auto stores run a starter test with the starter off the car?

Actually I just called and they can. I will take it in tomorrow and see what they say. I started to take the starter apart tonight to see if she needed some TLC. but i think i will just put it back together as is for better test results.

Last edited by g0nefish1n; January 7th, 2019 at 17:44.
Old January 7th, 2019, 17:49   #14
csstevej
Veteran Member

Most of them can with no problems.

I seriously don’t think you have a bent rod.

I think its either a bad ground or starter issue.
Old January 7th, 2019, 18:43   #15
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

Simple test, pull the glow plug on each and do a leak down test, pressurized air and see where It comes from.
You can check for bent rods by doing the "rope trick". Basically with the Injectors out and the engine at TDC, use a rod (soft) like a braising rod or aluminum so not to scratch the cylinder wall, and have someone rotate it by hand at the crank, Mark with a scribe when its at TDC on each piston and same with bottom dead center. compare the measurements, someone here can do the math sand give you a accurate distance from the top of the piston to the top of the heads lip for the glow plugs. If it checks out and a leak down test is good, your fine. try and be consistent with where you place the rod, in the bowl vs on the top of the piston. Its at an angle so your going to have to be as close as you can, may take multiple attempts.
best to always turn it over by hand first

Get a multimeter and find the amp draw on the starter by clamping the amp loop onto the positive wire from the battery. If your over 80 some amps, your starter is TOAST. You should also have 10.9V MINIMUM when cranking, after a full charge and the lights on for a few minutes to take off the top charge.
If under 10.9v your battery is junk.
Id give you a 75% chance you didnt do any damage to the rods. you can always get a borascope and look inside the cylinder bore and see if any markings on the piston are present.
How big were the chuncks in the IC?
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote