www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Road Trips

Road Trips Discussions about road trips you have made with your TDI.

Old July 3rd, 2018, 13:05   #1
tonefrel

TDI(s): jetta
Default Subject: Where was Your Favorite Road Trip?

Iím someone who loves getting out on the open road, but it isnít always possible to hit every single place that I want to go on a trip. I go out to Ohio every year to visit family, but I still havenít hit every landmark that I wanted to check out either. What was your favorite trip that youíve ever been on? Were you ever able to ensure that you hit absolutely every place that you wanted to go on a trip?
tonefrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2018, 18:57   #2
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Bleiburg, Austrian.. ??

I doubt if anyone is able to see absolutely every place they wanted to go on a trip!

We always plan to hit certain sites as we make our way to our destiny. And, many times the journey is far better than the destiny. Not always, but we generally have a plan B in the event circumstances affect the main plan.

I suggest that you put together a bucket list of places you'd like to visit and just begin checking them off one by one!

I'm a creature of habit though. I like to revisit places we've previously visited.... some places we've returned a number of times!
Old December 13th, 2018, 18:32   #3
Ton
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42-51

Front Royal,VA is my road trip of choice. Amazing small town with big box stores if you need them. Next favorite is Lancaster,PA.
Ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2018, 20:53   #4
Jetta SS
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '98 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 48

Gatlinburg, TN Smoky Mountain National Park. The TDI really shines on those steep mountain roads with switchbacks. Windows down, the scenery, the mountain air - it's a beautiful combination of diesel and nature.
Jetta SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2018, 22:32   #5
TurboModified

Fuel Economy: 46mpg Hwy, 42 mpg City.

Chiapas Mexico. Beautiful waterfalls, Mayan ruins, great food, and a landscape that is breath taking. I've been fortunate to take my TDI all over Mexico, but yes, there are many more places I want to stop and enjoy.
2003 Jetta ALH TDI 5spd. Kerma Tune, OMI, DLC764's, 2.5" DP & exhaust, VR6 Clutch, Race pipe, mild porting, stock VNT 15 Turbo, Ecs suspension refresh kit w/ Audi TT bushings, Bilstein Shocks, Ventectomy, Long Beach wheels
TurboModified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2018, 22:41   #6
MAXRPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 mpg driving like a granny on HWY-5 from LA to SF

nothing like hw1 Pacific coast hwy going through Pacifica, Half moon Bay, Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel, Pebble Beach, Big Sur, Santa Barbara, Malibu, it would be hard to beat.

Last edited by MAXRPM; December 13th, 2018 at 22:53.
MAXRPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2018, 14:02   #7
johnnloki
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 04 Golf TDI
Fuel Economy: 1100 km tanks, generally

Drove from Bowmanville Ontario to North Myrtle Beach, with a great detour...Waynesboro to Roanoke on the Blue Ridge Parkway, two years ago in my Mk4. It was a super mild winter in late February, so the conditions were great, but the road was mostly empty. Best drive ever.

Had 1500km on my now perfectly broken in EBC 337 brakes to throw the anchor out when needed. Had a loaded roof box and my 8 month old little one in the back keeping my right foot mostly under control, though I still left a year's worth of rubber off my Blizzaks on that mountain pavement, for sure.

It only added about 3 hours to my drive from Toronto area to Myrtle Beach. I would not drive there any other way. Driving direct, it's a 16 hour drive to go with the quickest route, 19 hours of driving to go this way, though you will stop to have your breath taken away. Completely worth it.

If you're nearby the BRP, Just. Do. It.

The only regret is that I wish I would have started in Front Royal and/or gone all the way down to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. That would have been around 35 hours of driving. That would have been a little too rough with an infant, probably would have taken 4 rushed days instead of 3 very leisurely days to drive.... though I still think about doing it now. (a couple of weeks later I did the run home in one 18 hour long shot)

I still got 29 MPG driving... really driving (tempered by the little one and the roof mounted weight, of course)... on these wide open and empty twisting winding mountain roads. Policed by the park rangers, not the police, so you're not having to worry at all about speeding tickets either....

Second place: Did the Grand Algoma run through Central Ontario summer of 2017. Pretty good drive, but it's no Blue Ridge Parkway. Also, the drive from Wawa to Chapleau is really flat and boring and hunted by the Chapleau OPP police.

East Coast Cabot Trail drive is the next one to get checked off the automotive bucket list.

johnnloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2018, 08:11   #8
Spenlowren

TDI(s): tiguan 2019

Panama, New Scotland, Dominican Republic. The last time I was on tour I'd been hanging around in British Columbia and loved it the most. I used almost all ways of travelling including autostop and can definitely say that sleeping under the stars is the real thing that every man must try at least one time in their life. The longest and toughest way was from Vancouver to Victoria; I took a rental car that I had to return back in time but failed (https://iversta.com/, a free trip tip for those who want to get to Vancouver from Richmond Hill) and almost got a fine for climbing up a tree near Markham.
Spenlowren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2018, 11:30   #9
johnnloki
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 04 Golf TDI
Fuel Economy: 1100 km tanks, generally

Found some pics.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

johnnloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2018, 10:51   #10
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2019 to end of April 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboModified View Post
Chiapas Mexico. Beautiful waterfalls, Mayan ruins, great food, and a landscape that is breath taking. I've been fortunate to take my TDI all over Mexico, but yes, there are many more places I want to stop and enjoy.
You're lucky having a 2003 TDI and it uses LSD as did my former 2002 Jetta. My 2015 has to have ULSD. So I curtail my driving in Mexico very much. I hope that the promise of ULSD by Dec.31st everywhere will happen. I see one pump at a Pemex near me which has sticker ULSD 45 , but I don't believe it! Each October I drive 4,600 km to get here and in the spring I drive many more km's. I chose some scenic route such as the Natchez Trace, Blue Ridge Pkwy, the Grand River Road in Wisconsin and whatever I can come up with.
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.

Last edited by Jetta_Pilot; December 24th, 2018 at 10:55.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2018, 11:35   #11
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXRPM View Post
nothing like hw1 Pacific coast hwy going through Pacifica, Half moon Bay, Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel, Pebble Beach, Big Sur, Santa Barbara, Malibu, it would be hard to beat.

Yes. Everyone should make this trip at least once in their life. Every turn is a new postcard view.

I will also submit that if you are on the east coast, anywhere along or near the Blue Ridge Parkway is great, and for summertime only, it's hard to beat New Hampshire and Maine. Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor and lobster are all delicious.

2011 BMW 335d - JR 2.8, 600 lb/ft
Blue_Hen_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2018, 08:31   #12
smbaau

Icefields parkway , Banff to Jasper ,Canada. 140 miles of awesome views
smbaau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2018, 20:03   #13
stickboy1971

2nd on Banff. Was going from Spokane, WA to Edmonton and we went that route. Simply breathtaking. A new postcard in the windshield around every corner.
stickboy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2019, 10:38   #14
ezshift5
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Please note Fuelly...........

Sacramento - Newport (RI). In a 1970 VW 1.6 liter (unmodified) bug.

Checked valve clearance enroute.............still .006.

Wish I could find my notes. (Can't recall fuel economy).

ez
Old January 4th, 2019, 00:20   #15
Mike in Anchorage
Veteran Member

Agree with the Icefields Parkway. Or the Going to the Sun Highway in Glacier NP. For those venturing further north, the Seward Highway is stunning. And if you have a sunroof, driving through Zion NP on a sunny day is really fun.
~ ďI'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.Ē Marilyn Monroe
2015 Tornado Red Golf TDI Sportwagen SE, new on 2 SEP 2017, DSG, big sunroof. Lovin it!
Mike in Anchorage is offline   Reply With Quote