2011 JSW TDI DSG Engine chatter @ ~1800RPM

thatwhitejsw

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 JSW TDI
2011 JSW TDI- Bone stock, 32k mi., DSG

I'm hearing an odd rattling/clanking/chatter noise under acceleration at around 1700-1800RPM. Most noticeable in 1st and second when feathering the pedal to accelerate. Under harder than typical acceleration it's not AS noticeable but it's definitely still there. Doesn't affect acceleration in any way, it's just a change in the usual noise from the engine.

I feel like it may be a lifter or something but I'm definitely not mechanically inclined when it comes to engines like these.

*video to come*

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
I get something similar fron time to time. Usually when the car has been sitting for a few hours, but not always. Sounds like oil hasn’t lubed up all the pieces yet? Don’t usually hear it beyond 2nd gear either. Hope it’s fine. I’ve got 191k miles and I haven’t addressed it yet.

CaptainAF

TDI
JSW 2014
you know I got the same thing. but its been like 32-38 last few morning, but I had a trip from Lexington to Louisville and on the way back (45mins rest) I notice that sound. but just figured it was a diesel thing.

thatwhitejsw

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 JSW TDI
you know I got the same thing. but its been like 32-38 last few morning, but I had a trip from Lexington to Louisville and on the way back (45mins rest) I notice that sound. but just figured it was a diesel thing.
And it may just be that, and I'm imagining things. Never had a diesel before either so this could just be a new/regular noise but it didn't seem like it. I'll have the dealer look at it the next time I'm there.