VW Polo mk4 Not Starting

C_B

TDI
VW Polo 1.4 TDI and VW Golf mk4 1.9 SDI
I have a VW Polo 2002 1.4 TDI and it is not starting.
All the fuses where checked and there is no drain.
The Alternator was checked and it is ok.
The Battery is working fine and there are no errors appearing on the dashboard.
Does anyone have similar problems thanks

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
This is whitedogs no start thread.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=199398

More information is needed.

Does it crank over but not start?

Will it not even crank over?

Do the dash lights come on?

Does the glow plug light come on and go out like it should?

Any recent work done?

How did you check the battery and why do you think it’s ok?

Same question for alternator.

otm646

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 AHU Jetta.
Does the 1.4 have an anti shudder valve? Make sure that's not stuck closed with soot.

Does it sound normal cranking over? Does it sputter and try to start? Any smoke be it white or black out the exhaust? Does it smell like fuel after cranking?

C_B

TDI
Thank you for your reply,
The battery is draining overnight and the fuses are all showing that there is no drain.
The battery was replaced two month ago (when this issue started) and re-replaced this week but it is still doing the same issue.
The car starts fine when I charge the battery and the dash lights come on yes, and the glow light comes on and go as usual.
The only light that is staying constantly on while driving is the "Traction Control System"
The last thing that was replaced was the car horn, which shouldn't be of an issue.
The battery was checked by a Multi-meter which gives a reading of 13 when disconnected from the car.
The alternator was also checked by 3 different car electricians and non of them found any issue with it.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds

C_B

TDI
The issue started before the horn was replaced, that is why I don't think that the fault is from it.
In the last year I did not have any other issue and the vehicle was always serviced.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well then your job is going to be a bit harder. Your'e going to have to track the parasitic drain by checking each fuse.

One other thing that is common, do you have an aftermarket stereo installed, if you do try disconnecting it for a couple of days and see if the problem persists.

C_B

TDI
The fault was found to be the ALTERNATOR REGULATOR (ALTERNATOR VOLTAGE REGULATOR) which was not constantly making the fault.

Thanks