RNS510 Firmware & Maps Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisB009

Repaired the BT device - have not had enough time in the vehicle to determine if problem still exists. Problem is intermittent at best.

-Chris

UnPair the phone and Pair it again. See if that helps...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
So, I have heard that either 5374 or the next will add stock prices to travel-link
anyone else heard either way?
I have not seen a feature set, or gotten my hands on a copy. Pretty sure though that 5374 is only going to work on the K and above units with the SSD and the different controller. There was somebody that has a new 2014 with 5374, you should get them to check.

VolksVagenVan

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
I have not seen a feature set, or gotten my hands on a copy. Pretty sure though that 5374 is only going to work on the K and above units with the SSD and the different controller. There was somebody that has a new 2014 with 5374, you should get them to check.

LokiWolf, do you still have a link to the 6m maps?

My Mom has a '13 TDI SEL that I would love to update for her. VW sent us that v.5.2m update and I was wholly disappointed that the map set was no more updated than what it was; as I've come to find out, that's because the maps are still 2011 Q3?

VW says v.7m just released, does anyone know what month they officially came out? Just updated my Dad's BMW 335 to latest 2014 maps, but their using Tele-Atlas maps and not quite as updated as NavTeq maps appear to be. BMW uses FSC codes and unbeknownst to me until recently, a lot of people appear to be offering valid FSC codes (linked to your VIN,) and can do so a lot less than the stealer wants.

I sure wish somebody would come up with a way to update the maps in my Touareg's RNS-850; dealer has to order mapset and I'm supposed to pay labor charge for they to install it? Wholly disappointing that the Touareg is the only vehicle in VW's North America market to require such process to update.

Thanks in advance.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
LokiWolf, do you still have a link to the 6m maps?

My Mom has a '13 TDI SEL that I would love to update for her. VW sent us that v.5.2m update and I was wholly disappointed that the map set was no more updated than what it was; as I've come to find out, that's because the maps are still 2011 Q3?

VW says v.7m just released, does anyone know what month they officially came out? Just updated my Dad's BMW 335 to latest 2014 maps, but their using Tele-Atlas maps and not quite as updated as NavTeq maps appear to be. BMW uses FSC codes and unbeknownst to me until recently, a lot of people appear to be offering valid FSC codes (linked to your VIN,) and can do so a lot less than the stealer wants.

I sure wish somebody would come up with a way to update the maps in my Touareg's RNS-850; dealer has to order mapset and I'm supposed to pay labor charge for they to install it? Wholly disappointing that the Touareg is the only vehicle in VW's North America market to require such process to update.

Thanks in advance.
PM me.

V7 is supposedly December 13 Data. Doesn't mean ALL streets as of December, but the data compiled as of December.

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016
PM me.

V7 is supposedly December 13 Data. Doesn't mean ALL streets as of December, but the data compiled as of December.
Ah, that's great news! Now we'll have to wait for this update to become available.

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016
UPDATE:

I just saw, an ebay seller offers the map update v6 or 7963 (as a bundle with the here mentioned firmware and VIM updates for $55, or separate). The description says it has Dec 2013 map data.

Nice try, selling 2012Q3 Map data as v7!

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
UPDATE:

I just saw, an ebay seller offers the map update v6 or 7963 (as a bundle with the here mentioned firmware and VIM updates for $55, or separate). The description says it has Dec 2013 map data.

Nice try, selling 2012Q3 Map data as v7!
He never says it is V7, he actually says 6M in both the title and description. 2012Q3 is the 2013 disc, or 7963. v7M, is actually called the 2014 disc, because it is released in 2014.

americanh3art918, is the original source of my instructions, that I then modified and adjusted. He is a standup eBay seller, and if you want copies of the discs without having to go through the trouble of burning them yourselves, he is who I would recommend. Unlike other sellers that are charging 3+ times that just for the firmware, or selling the downloads that a I have offered.

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
He never says it is V7, he actually says 6M in both the title and description. 2012Q3 is the 2013 disc, or 7963. v7M, is actually called the 2014 disc, because it is released in 2014.
You are right. My mistake!

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
FYI, my problem with the nav was a not fully seated/latched GPS antenna cable that fell out of the head. Taken care of by warranty . . . Musta been a bad day on the line . . .

- Tim

Elliottbte

TDI
2013 TDI SEL Passat
I have sent an IM to LokiWolf to get the downloads to upgrade the RNS510 on my 2013 Passat TDI SEL. I currently have FW 3696 and Maps 7870. Can't wait to experience the improvement as I love EVERYTHING about the car, except the RNS510.

I have a couple questions:
1. I downloaded IMGburn as it seems the software of choice for burning disks. When I open the program, it asks what I want to do. There are options for copying files/folders to disk or doing some sort of image. I'm pretty decent with using my PC as a user, but I'm not really sure what the imaging is. Which option should I be using that the RNS510 will recognize and accept?
2. Will the firmware update change anything about how the RNS510 functions relative to the HDD? For instance, moving music to the HDD is not as easy as it could be and results in a rather windows like folder structure in the RNS510 rather than a more intuitive user interface. Curious if this, or any other way devices work with the unit through BT or AUX connections, changes for the better.
3. Finally, I find the nonstandard (meaning non USB) MDI connection and short apple cable pretty useless. Where can I get a reasonably priced Lightening MDI cable that is longer than 5 inches?

Thanks to all for the help making my Passat experience all it should be !!

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I have sent an IM to LokiWolf to get the downloads to upgrade the RNS510 on my 2013 Passat TDI SEL. I currently have FW 3696 and Maps 7870. Can't wait to experience the improvement as I love EVERYTHING about the car, except the RNS510.

I have a couple questions:
1. I downloaded IMGburn as it seems the software of choice for burning disks. When I open the program, it asks what I want to do. There are options for copying files/folders to disk or doing some sort of image. I'm pretty decent with using my PC as a user, but I'm not really sure what the imaging is. Which option should I be using that the RNS510 will recognize and accept?
2. Will the firmware update change anything about how the RNS510 functions relative to the HDD? For instance, moving music to the HDD is not as easy as it could be and results in a rather windows like folder structure in the RNS510 rather than a more intuitive user interface. Curious if this, or any other way devices work with the unit through BT or AUX connections, changes for the better.
3. Finally, I find the nonstandard (meaning non USB) MDI connection and short apple cable pretty useless. Where can I get a reasonably priced Lightening MDI cable that is longer than 5 inches?

Thanks to all for the help making my Passat experience all it should be !!
1. An image is a direct bit by bit copy of the CD/DVD to a file. There is an option in imageburn to burn an image to disk. This will create you an exact duplicate of the original disk.

2. No nothing like that changes. The biggest change I've noticed is the unit now remembers the volume setting it was at before being turned off and comes back on at the same volume.

3. Don't know.

Elliottbte

TDI
2013 TDI SEL Passat
1. An image is a direct bit by bit copy of the CD/DVD to a file. There is an option in imageburn to burn an image to disk. This will create you an exact duplicate of the original disk.
2. No nothing like that changes. The biggest change I've noticed is the unit now remembers the volume setting it was at before being turned off and comes back on at the same volume.
3. Don't know.
Thanks .... so the files that come from LokiWolf will be downloaded from a link of some sort so I won't have a disk. The options given are: Write Files/Folders to disc or Create Image file from Files/folders. Does it make a difference which to use?
Thx .. Brad

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Thanks .... so the files that come from LokiWolf will be downloaded from a link of some sort so I won't have a disk. The options given are: Write Files/Folders to disc or Create Image file from Files/folders. Does it make a difference which to use?
Thx .. Brad
Correct, links to ISO's and install instructions that you just got!

You will choose the "write image file to disc" option. For the VIM and Firmware use a CD-R, for the Map you will need a DVD-DL(Double Layer). A normal 4.7GB DVDR isn't big enough.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Currently VW does not have a MDI to Lightning cable, it is supposedly in production. It will be short like the current 30 pin. It is meant for you to leave your device in the center console. You can use an extension cord, or just use Bluetooth.

Elliottbte

TDI
2013 TDI SEL Passat
Correct, links to ISO's and install instructions that you just got!
You will choose the "write image file to disc" option. For the VIM and Firmware use a CD-R, for the Map you will need a DVD-DL(Double Layer). A normal 4.7GB DVDR isn't big enough.
Just finished loading the new FW. Big improvement. Was a little worried at first when the GPS kept thinking I was in New York City instead of Chattanooga but that straightened out after getting car out of the garage and driving a bit. Will work on loading the V6 maps tomorrow.
Thanks LokiWolf !!

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
So, TOC from the V7(8050) DVD:

Continental Automotive GmbH
I IC RD CC NAV DB PROD

Content

Volume: CD_8050
Date: 6.8.2013
db: NA(2013Q1)
Area: North America
Subarea: ALL
Supplier: Navteq
Version: 505.19.314.2.84
Customer Version: V7
Customer: 1627386848
Customer Info: VW
Features: ZIP3kb - feaV10(VW) - pti(VW)
TPD: 2013070009
SVD: EDB_20130704
TMC: 20130226
Phoneme: Navteq
DBAL: VW-V6.33_V7.10_V8.19_V10.10_basename_roundabout

SIRIUS:13.05.2011

So, some interesting things to note. The DB is from 2013Q1, the original db was compiled 6/8/2013. That is ridiculous, it has taken it more than 6 months to make it available to the regular owner. If you are going to release a disc in 2014Q1, at least include up to 2013Q3 Map data.

I am not going to mention my source, he can speak up if he wants, but THANK YOU! I will have download links available starting tomorrow. I will only release it to 10 people max a day between here and Vortex, download it the day you get the link please. I am testing the ISO right now to verify it is good to go. I will update the original post in the thread with the new info.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Just finished loading the new FW. Big improvement. Was a little worried at first when the GPS kept thinking I was in New York City instead of Chattanooga but that straightened out after getting car out of the garage and driving a bit. Will work on loading the V6 maps tomorrow.
Thanks LokiWolf !!
Hold off on V6, I will send you a new link tonight for V7...

allipki

TDI
Passat tdi sel 2013
pm sent

So, TOC from the V7(8050) DVD:

Continental Automotive GmbH
I IC RD CC NAV DB PROD

Content

Volume: CD_8050
Date: 6.8.2013
db: NA(2013Q1)
Area: North America
Subarea: ALL
Supplier: Navteq
Version: 505.19.314.2.84
Customer Version: V7
Customer: 1627386848
Customer Info: VW
Features: ZIP3kb - feaV10(VW) - pti(VW)
TPD: 2013070009
SVD: EDB_20130704
TMC: 20130226
Phoneme: Navteq
DBAL: VW-V6.33_V7.10_V8.19_V10.10_basename_roundabout

SIRIUS:13.05.2011

So, some interesting things to note. The DB is from 2013Q1, the original db was compiled 6/8/2013. That is ridiculous, it has taken it more than 6 months to make it available to the regular owner. If you are going to release a disc in 2014Q1, at least include up to 2013Q3 Map data.

I am not going to mention my source, he can speak up if he wants, but THANK YOU! I will have download links available starting tomorrow. I will only release it to 10 people max a day between here and Vortex, download it the day you get the link please. I am testing the ISO right now to verify it is good to go. I will update the original post in the thread with the new info.

Status
Not open for further replies.