Front struts/rear shocks

psaboic

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS Black
Ok, I know the "search is your friend" but lately the darn thing hates me. Either it works slow or not at all. Right now it is not at all so I'm forced to post this.

I REALLY need to change the struts and shocks on the 02 Jetta. After 50K they are getting pretty bad. I'm leaning toward the Bilstein TC's for affordability reasons, but what I need to know is:

1. Outside of the struts/shocks themselves, what other parts should I plan to replace (i.e) bushings, mounts, etc)?

2. I want to replace the upper and lower mounting nuts and bolts, but do they usually come with the replacement units or will I have to get them elsewhere?

3. Outside of Wingnuts "How To" (great write up by the way) can anyone point me to any other good write ups on changing the struts?

I apologize for asking about a topic I know has been talked about several times before, but the search just doesn't like me lately.

Thanks

fincoop

Veteran Member
I went down this road in the summer.

Plan to buy new bolts and nuts all around. If you're doing the job yourself, there is a special clamp spreader you can buy online for the fronts. Spring compressor is a good idea, if you can borrow one. You should get new strut bearings for the front. Danix sells the TCs and the bearings, bolts I picked up from VW.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
New stretch bolts for the front/rear struts. Your bearings and strut mounts should be fine at only 50K. No need for a special spreader tool, big flathead screwdriver works fine (but whatever tickles your fancy)

You need a spring compressor either way (in order to swap struts) even if you don't use it to take them out. Also plan on dropping the passenger side driveshaft in order to get the passenger side strut out (driveshaft hits the subframe, not enough room). I just undid the 3 bolts on the lower ball joint and got it out that way..

Also, an alignment is nessessary and good insurance so you don't mess up your tires because of camber/toe issue's.

Good luck!!!

psaboic

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS Black
Many Thanks for the links and tips, I'm pretty much ready to order the parts and start the job, just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit. Even though I have a garage to work in, it has been damn chiily here lately

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Metalnerd just came out with a new tool for holding the strut top nut and the hex in the end of the strut shaft -- see the first pic here:
http://shop.metalnerd.com/index.cgi?code=3&cat=5
Also their strut spreader bit is extremely helpful.

I would replace the strut mounts as well. Despite the fact you don't have too many miles on your car, those rubber mounts do compress over time and drop your car a good half inch. You're going to have your replacements a lot longer than the OE dampers, so I'd change them. If cash isn't a problem, I'd do the bearings, too. http://www.impexfap.com is a good source. Many people including myself reuse the bolts. They aren't stretch bolts, so they don't have to be replaced.

Another method for getting the right front strut out is to lower the subframe slightly. There's one large bolt at the rear of the subframe, on a rounded lobe, and there's another one that's accessible through a triangular opening in the a-frame. Loosen them about 1 inch or so but don't remove them. This will give you enough clearance to remove the strut, and despite the fact that this will affect your alignment, it won't matter because you were going to get an alignment anyway, right?

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Just ordered my tool ! Thanks for the heads up!