New here with starter problem

Angelica Gonzalez

TDI
05 Beetle 2.0L
I owned 04 Jetta TDI 5 speed with 1.9L engine,ordered a starter replacement from Amazon about two months ago, but it doesn't work properly.
I made sure it was installed correctly and all connections were secure and clean before installation.
Also I had a fully charge battery to make sure it was receiving enough power.
But when I turn the Key and..."CLICK!" and sometimes it won't even do that.
Friend of mine works at the Bizslink LLC company who runs Hex Auto Parts said the starter solenoid is defective,right ?
Do you have this experience before ? A new starter solenoid will fix it and get my car back on road asap?
Thank you.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
First off, tell us the exact part number for the starter you bought.
Did you confirm it meets specifications to run your engine? Are you sure it wasn't meant for the gasoline version of your car?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Vw’s are known not to work right without a Bosch starter. I needed a starter a year ago and went to autozone. I knew better but couldn’t wait for one to be shipped. Replaced it twice under warranty and finally had to get a real one.

https://www.idparts.com/starter-a3b4a4-manual-p-1478.html

I just went to amazon and looked at an 04 Jetta 1.9 starter and I wouldn’t use any of the results I saw. $50-60 is a great price but not if you have to end up buying another starter to work properly and loosing the money you spent on the junk, like I did at autozone.

If you friend can confirm it is the solenoid and he can fix it great. Your cables to the battery may also need to be cleaned and tightened. I see you did that but it won’t hurt to double check your connections.

Probably you will need to buy a new or reman Bosch starter for your car to be dependable.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Vw’s are known not to work right without a Bosch starter. I needed a starter a year ago and went to autozone. I knew better but couldn’t wait for one to be shipped. Replaced it twice under warranty and finally had to get a real one.
https://www.idparts.com/starter-a3b4a4-manual-p-1478.html

I just went to amazon and looked at an 04 Jetta 1.9 starter and I wouldn’t use any of the results I saw. $50-60 is a great price but not if you have to end up buying another starter to work properly and loosing the money you spent on the junk, like I did at autozone.
If you friend can confirm it is the solenoid and he can fix it great. Your cables to the battery may also need to be cleaned and tightened. I see you did that but it won’t hurt to double check your connections.
Probably you will need to buy a new or reman Bosch starter for your car to be dependable.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^​
Your "friend" at HEX AUTO PARTS isn't actually your "friend" but is right. The entire starter is Chinese garbage. Unless you don't care if your car runs right, get the one Tdijarhead referred to. Seems like it always costs more if you buy Chinese parts that if you had bought quality parts the first time.

Last edited:

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Ebay amazon and Prothe do not support this site we have some of the best vendors here and they stand behind their products and support this site. Vendor support and contributions keeps the pop up ads outa here.

Is there a reason you show a gasser 2.0 and mention a TDI in the post.