20k service question

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
The problem is it doesn't just start over again when you start the engine. It restarts at *some* point in time, but if there's a pattern I don't know anyone has figured it out. You have to watch the tach because otherwise you risk cutting it off again.

If you spend a lot of time up there, there's a mainly BMW group called Rogue Euro but VWs are welcome. Take runs to the coast and to Cars & Coffee. Cool group to hang out with if you like doing the twisties with a couple dozen people :)

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
This was a nice read with me planning on doing this service here in about 4.5k miles. Thanks guys! Planning on doing it myself. Will be the first time I get under the car since I bought it this past Thursday. Thanks to the guys who have told me about IDparts. I plan on using that website to make sure its all the right parts and such. These 10k oil intervals are going to make my life cheaper and easier... My truck was 5k intervals because the EPA wanted GM to make mileage, so the thought it a good idea to make 4 cylinders turn off... Bet way to avoid a possible failed lifter was 5k intervals or so for oil changes!

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
The problem is it doesn't just start over again when you start the engine. It restarts at *some* point in time, but if there's a pattern I don't know anyone has figured it out. You have to watch the tach because otherwise you risk cutting it off again.

If you spend a lot of time up there, there's a mainly BMW group called Rogue Euro but VWs are welcome. Take runs to the coast and to Cars & Coffee. Cool group to hang out with if you like doing the twisties with a couple dozen people :)

The one time I shut down during a regen I realized it and immediately started the engine back up and drove it, the regen continued without pause. I was under the impression if you shut down during a regen it will regen again when and if operating temp is reached during the next drive cycle.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Agreed, it'll start back up cause the parameters are still met, to say a cold car that sat overnight will immediately start a regen is what he was pointing at.