Buy Back Cars on the Move

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It worked out fine for me. Now I have an extra $10k in my bank account. Which I'll probably invest in businesses that have ethical standards better aligned with my own.

4g63turbo

TDI
13 TDI 6MT
I just purchased a 2011 golf tdi wagon and I found out the vehicle never had the fix.
what are my options now?
thank you

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
I just purchased a 2011 golf tdi wagon and I found out the vehicle never had the fix. What are my options now?
thank you
You have two options.

1. IF you want to, take your car to a dealer and they will arrange a free update of the emission system. The advantage is you will get a warranty on the upgraded parts. You did not own the car when dieselgate became public so there is no compensation if you get the fix.

2. Drive on and enjoy your car. You are under no obligation to have your car updated. This will have no impact on any annual emission certification/sticker if your provence requires it.

:)

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
With no fix for the manual Passat, how can it pass emissions testing, if it's still cheating?

"Just let them keep cheating"

Fabulous solution.
'Cheating' as in breaking current federal/state EPA/CARB regulations, yes.

Then there is the 'moral cheating' (my humble opinion) of thousands (or millions?) of gasoline powered, very large vehicles, that are used primarily as daily drivers and non-commercial vehicles for getting from point A to point B with one passenger and very little cargo (or none even) :-(

Last edited:

4g63turbo

TDI
13 TDI 6MT
You have two options.

1. IF you want to, take your car to a dealer and they will arrange a free update of the emission system. The advantage is you will get a warranty on the upgraded parts. You did not own the car when dieselgate became public so there is no compensation if you get the fix.

2. Drive on and enjoy your car. You are under no obligation to have your car updated. This will have no impact on any annual emission certification/sticker if your provence requires it.

:)

Thankyou, Cheers:)

Howard2005

TDI
2005.5 Jetta 256Kmi, 2014 JSW DSG
I saw a 2014 JSW with 43k miles for $11.5 at a small car lot.
Sales told me they bought five of them at a recent auction. Couldnt tell me about the warranty.

atomicalexc

TDI
2014 Golf
I think they're being auctioned at black book, wholesale. I just bought my first VW (let alone TDI) two weeks ago. A 2014 with 29k miles on it, I assume it sat on a lot just like that, given the low mileage.

I got mine off Carvana. The Carfax on it leads me to believe that's exactly what happened. First owner had it for 4k miles, next had it for the rest. It went unregistered in 2015 and didn't get sold again until this January, as a VW certified pre-owned.

At any rate, it looks to me that many of them are in fact hitting dealers again. If anyone is considering one, check the tires, rubber hoses, and rust. If they all check out, then go for it.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I was down at the shop again today and one of the big lots that they had emptied out was full again and there were several car carriers being loaded up. Quite a few cars with hoods up and headlights on.