BEW stalls just after starting

turbotorq

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
After work the other day I started my BEW, had rough start , idled for a second then stalled. I restarted the engine and it started right up and ran fine. The next day it happened again same symptoms, the following day I had to crank the engine for 6-8 seconds to get it started then it ran fine once running. I just replaced the in tank lift pump a few weeks ago and it is definitely working properly, I pulled the line at fuel filter and I'm getting lots of priming fuel.

Is this a tandem pump issue? What do you guys think !

Thanks

~TDIguy~

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan
Ive been having the same problem intermittently. I was almost ready to replace my tandem pump gasket because it was losing prime and it always needed long crank times to start but then it quit acting up and I figured why fix it if it isn't broke!! THe small fuel leak from the tandem gasket quit too. It will still stall every now and then but I haven't been worrying about it.... Ill be watching to see what you come up with.

Steamroller69

TDI
2005 jetta tdi gls
Im having the same issue. Occasionally it starts and stalls. Then starts and runs fine. I have a new gasket kn my tandem pump(it was leaking). Maybe I should have replaced the pump too

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Y'all need a full VCDS scan instead of farting into the wind.

Find out what the engine says is wrong first - even if the CEL/MIL is not set - and start from there.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I don't know the PD all that well, but it could be a sticky/dirty anti-shudder thing.

bmw

TDI
Mk4 Jetta Wagon BEW
I have the same issue, no fault codes stored. I suspect a failing crank sensor can cause this, they are only about $40 from the dealer and can change it in your driveway. Just need a 9mm 12 point socket. I just replaced mine yesterday and it hasn't acted up since, however could be too soon to tell