2015 TDI Sportwagen rear rotor size or upgrade?

TwistedElvis

TDI
2015 sportwagon
Its almost time to do my rear brakes on my 15 sportwagon and wondering what size the rotors were, and if there are any upgrades people are doing?

sprstu

Veteran Member
TDI
mk1 TD, GSW TDI 6spd
why do you want to upgrade? Vanity or for performance?

I upgraded my fronts to the 312mm purely for the vanity of having the larger brakes. I didnt notice any real world difference that couldnt have been explained by just doing a better pad. I found someone on vortex who was upgrading their GTI to an R brake size and I bought the red GTI carrier and used my same caliper.

https://i.imgur.com/NiE0xAd.jpg

A quick look and there are 2 options for rear disk size, a 253mm and a 272mm rear. Im betting the Alltrack/GTI (non PP) and GLI all used the larger size and we lowly GSW get the smaller, solid disks. If the swap is anything like the front (non performacepack) then you can reuse your caliper and get the larger caliper carrier to accommodate the new larger disk. The caliper is the same and you would then order the new size pad and disk from the GTI/GLI/Alltrack. Bolt and offset will be identical.

Last edited by a moderator:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Resize this photo, please.

why do you want to upgrade? Vanity or for performance?

I upgraded my fronts to the 312mm purely for the vanity of having the larger brakes. I didnt notice any real world difference that couldnt have been explained by just doing a better pad. I found someone on vortex who was upgrading their GTI to an R brake size and I bought the red GTI carrier and used my same caliper.

A quick look and there are 2 options for rear disk size, a 253mm and a 272mm rear. Im betting the Alltrack/GTI (non PP) and GLI all used the larger size and we lowly GSW get the smaller, solid disks. If the swap is anything like the front (non performacepack) then you can reuse your caliper and get the larger caliper carrier to accommodate the new larger disk. The caliper is the same and you would then order the new size pad and disk from the GTI/GLI/Alltrack. Bolt and offset will be identical.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Interestingly enough, I have a set of GTI power pack brakes (calipers and carriers) in my possession right now. They fit 310x22 mm rotors. I also have the matching rotors. This setup will bolt on but the brake & e brake lines come from the opposite side (top/bottom). It means rerouting the e-brake cable and needing a brake line that's 2-3" longer to reach.

The Golf has 253x10mm rears, like the GSW presumably. I didn't even think of trying our stock caliper with the power pack carriers. If I have time this weekend I'll try it out and let you guys know.

If our caliper will bolt up to the power pack carriers the next problem would be finding 310x10mm rotors. The 310 mm rotors that fit various VAG cars are all 22mm wide, probably too wide for our calipers. My assumption is this will put a stop to my whole experiment but I have everything here to try it out.

But... Since the power pack carrier will bolt up so too should the non powerpack carrier. IF the stock caliper will bolt up to the non powerpack carrier as well a rear upgrade is just as easy as the front (new carriers with new rotors).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Mr. Annoying

Veteran Member
TDI
I gotta jetta wagon
Interestingly enough, I have a set of GTI power pack brakes (calipers and carriers) in my possession right now. They fit 310x22 mm rotors. I also have the matching rotors. This setup will bolt on but the brake & e brake lines come from the opposite side (top/bottom). It means rerouting the e-brake cable and needing a brake line that's 2-3" longer to reach.

The Golf has 253x10mm rears, like the GSW presumably. I didn't even think of trying our stock caliper with the power pack carriers. If I have time this weekend I'll try it out and let you guys know.

If our caliper will bolt up to the power pack carriers the next problem would be finding 310x10mm rotors. The 310 mm rotors that fit various VAG cars are all 22mm wide, probably too wide for our calipers. My assumption is this will put a stop to my whole experiment but I have everything here to try it out.

But... Since the power pack carrier will bolt up so too should the non powerpack carrier. IF the stock caliper will bolt up to the non powerpack carrier as well a rear upgrade is just as easy as the front (new carriers with new rotors).

did you ever get this to work?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
btw its "performance package"

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Haha, yes performance pack...

In response to Mr. Annoying... I never messed around with mixing calipers and carriers. Couldn't find the time and I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble when performance pack rear caliper/carriers pop up for sale regularly. In either case I suspect the most annoying part is needing new brake lines and the (minor) re-routing of the e-brake cable.

That being said, I'm not running the rears yet, have not had brake lines made. A lot of life things got in the way... got married, bought a house, paid for honeymoon, got the wife a Tesla (this is where my car monry went if I'm being honest, haha). Once I do have the lines made I will also be switching to the performance pack master cylinder/brake booster. Currently with the the 17z up front and stock rear I like my pedal feel more than stock. It's very progressive but with a very noticeable increase in overall stopping power.