Quick question about Side View Mirror

boodles

TDI
2003 VW Jetta
Hey, so, someone dinged my MKIV (eyeroll), and I just have a quick question.

The car itself is fine but my driver sideview mirror is now loose? Not the glass or the attachment to the door- the area where it’s meant to roatate/swivel just kind of spins and swivels uncontrollably now.

My question is pretty simple and I’m only asking because it’s -10 and snow storming here.... can I fix it or do I have to buy a new mirror? Really don’t want to start taking it apart just to find out there’s no hope and hen have to put it back together until I get a new one.

Also some people here think my car’s a “junker”. It’s not... if you’re not going to answer this question don’t post. Thanks.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Also some people here think my car’s a “junker”. It’s not...
I didn't know they had heathens in Canada
if you’re not going to answer this question don’t post. Thanks.
Sorry, 1st Amendment FTW:D

boodles

TDI
2003 VW Jetta
Well you don’t need to be a jerk for no reason. Answer the question or piss off. Like honestly. You don’t need to come here just to literally be an adult cyberbully.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
I thought I was being funny. But really, as an adult you should never say "cyberbully" and actually mean it as a serious thing. Protip: Anonymous people on the internet shouldn't be able to hurt your feelings. If they do, it's because you give them that power. Toughen up a smidge.
Whatever answer I gave, joke or not, I knew a helpful post would come along for you eventually. You're welcome here. We welcome you. But this site has it's own rule makers, it doesn't need another one.

boodles

TDI
2003 VW Jetta
drucifer- the mirror is still attached and works just fine as long as I adjust it by hand when I get in. It’s not like there’s no mirror. I’m going to have it fixed, hence the post. What I’m wondering is whether I can fix my mirror for $10 or if I have to spend $100 on a new one. But thanks for not reading the whole post.

STDOUBT- thanks for the post, that honestly sounds like something I have to do at my parents place, which means something they’ll want to do, which inevitably means something that will end up screwed up. Plus I loose the ability to adjust the mirror... if that’s my only option I think I’ll buy a new one which kind of sucks. Cyber bullying is a serious thing, and the last post I made here I felt seriously attacked because of the car I drive and my inability to afford a new car. To be honest the people here are sometimes very helpful, but sometimes they’re very rude and ignorant.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
boodles,
I drive the same car as you. I'll just say it: Your car is awesome!
I do second the idea of finding a junkyard replacement. Very economical.
And I hear they're pretty easy to remove and replace. For sure there's a thread on here with the details. Another protip: The best way to search this site is on google or bing with your search terms pre-pended by "tdiclub". HTH

boodles

TDI
2003 VW Jetta
The car has 310k km on it and needs a handful of repairs. Literally everyone I talk to thinks I should scrap it instead of put money into it. Honest to god the car runs amazing for how it was treated before I owned it, and it’s just taking me some time to catch up on small repairs that should have been done sooner that are now a little bit larger. Even still, these are still cheaper repairs than the monthly cost of a new car and why would I buy another used car when this car is now half new.

I want to pull a driver side seat out of a junkyard too so might as well do both at the same time. Going to pull he car apart- might as well pull the whole car apart lol

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Expand your budget to 15 or 20 bucks. Your entire
post included something about not wanting to be out in the cold and snow. Imagine that. lt gets cold in the great white north. Also there was something about people telling you to junk your car. I don't know if that's people here or people you know. If you can't find a good drivers seat get two passenger seats and use the foam and cover on your driver's frame.
Lighten up, people are here to help as well as the search button at the top and the sticky thread at the top of tdi 101 that leads to a custom Google search combining results from 5 or 6 forums.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
The swivel point is aluminum rubbing on aluminum, aluminum oxides and crumbles, this is what your pivot point has done when it was nudged. There is plenty of scrappers for vw parts that can send you a replacement, if you are in Ontario I can give you some specific places to check, otherwise wrecking yard is probably your best bet. Over the years I have acquired two spares that hang in my garage, because well, in our climate the engineering of these mirrors kinda sucks with the aluminum crumbling. You may be able to secure the pivot point to keep using the mirror safely but its probably a lost cause, you would not know unless you take it apart and look it over, but for that kinda effort go get a replacement for $30-$60 and just replace it.

6oh

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI Sedan / 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
hey Boodles..... in Toronto, i've had both of my old 01' TDI mirrors knocked off by drunks or bike riders, when coming back to my car, that aluminum crumbles pretty much into white residue. The wire harnessing stayed intact, so in my winter rush (and a fully ghetto way) i have just gorilla glue'd it back on and a nice piece of trim tape to clean it up, no one knew the mess it was.

That being said, I also helped a buddy get a new hinge at a local used VW parts place, and for $20 and fixed the mirror properly. Just a nuisance task.

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
I bought a new mirror on Amazon for around $40 and had it painted. Easy peasy.