'00 ALH Cranks but won't start

Matdman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
I just did my head gasket on my ALH, and did the timing belt while I was at it. Used the proper cam and IP locking tools, everything was lined up at TDC. It cranks but won't start. I get diesel out of the injectors if I crack the nuts. Battery is good. Help!

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
You either have air in the lines yet and don't have enough fuel flow to the injectors yet, orrrrr you didn't have everything lined up/locked/pinned properly.
Sometimes it takes a bit of cranking to purge the air.

Matdman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
Just went out and cranked it for a while, no luck. Checked IP and cam timing a third time, all at TDC. There is a bigger than normal bubble at the top of my clear fuel line, but I re-primed it and tried again and still nothing. I have smoke coming out of my tail pipe so something is burning. It wants to fire.

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
Unplug the coolant temp sensor and try to start after the full glow plug cycle. If it starts then, that is a sure indicator that the injection timing is retarded. You may have to fiddle with the pump sprocket to get it right. VCDS is necessary to fine tune the pump timing.

Paul

Matdman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
Unplug the coolant temp sensor and try to start after the full glow plug cycle. If it starts then, that is a sure indicator that the injection timing is retarded. You may have to fiddle with the pump sprocket to get it right. VCDS is necessary to fine tune the pump timing.

Paul
Did this. It basically fired then the engine made a big squeak noise and now when I roll it through by hand it constantly makes this squeak. Did I roll a bearing??

Matdman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
So I got home from work, did a bit of research, heard it might be the starter. Bingo, it was stuck engaged so I pulled it and cleaned it and put it back in, but no luck, I think it was on its last legs, and trying to start the car today just burned it out. I also advanced my IP timing without the car running, because as suggested above, it ran with the coolant temp sensor out, so it is retarded. I used:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/Injection-pump-removal-ALH-2.htm

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
If you got smoke out the tailpipe while cranking, then that is super typical of late injection. No need to fiddle with priming, that step is done. Make sure your timing pin on IP did not go in the "sucker hole". It happens.

Matdman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
It definitely wasn't in the sucker hole, checked that. With the 22mm nut at full advance and the coolant temp sensor out, I can only get shudders. If I change the nut at all I get nothing, with the coolant sensor out or in, doesn't matter.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I had this issue when I didn't center the pulley on the IP after I had advanced the timing... The timing ended up 7 or 8 degrees advanced!!

I recommend centering the pulley on the pump and tightening one bolt to keep it there when you put the belt on loosen it right before putting the cam pulley back on.

should time right then...

but yeah improper timing on IP is a definite no start issue...

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Also make sure the ASV is not pulling shut when cranking. That can happen if the CCV heater and ASV plugs are swapped. Just unplug vac to ASV and try a start.

Also, it is possible to have cam off 180deg and a flatbar will nearly fit. Need to make sure when slot is level the #1 cam lobes are up, off the followers.

Matdman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
Timing was all right, except for the IP, it was a little off and I just had to find the right spot. Fired right up after I replaced the starter and got the timing right. Just have to hook up VCDS and time it properly this week!