2" lifted beetle w/ 215/65/16's

solarmike

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Beetle TDI, Vanagon Syncro with front and rear lockers, non viscous coupler, with decoupler waiting for a TDI swap
Here is a picture of my lifted new beetle. Future plans: Jetta Wagon Rear Springs, VR6 Springs in Front.

Last edited:

Jeepmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI GLS
Im curious what method you used to lift it. If it is a kit, where did you get it? I am looking at doing a similar size lift to my MK4 Jetta. Also curious about TDICADGUY's question.

PS. That looks aswome

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
ummm....he said the tires.

Jeepmb said:
Im curious what method you used to lift it. If it is a kit, where did you get it? I am looking at doing a similar size lift to my MK4 Jetta. Also curious about TDICADGUY's question.

PS. That looks aswome

Jeepmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI GLS
Oh...:eek:, I thought that he was saying the tires were in addition to a lift, not the lift itself. Oops.

Still looks cool though

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Those tires are only one inch larger radius than stock so the only provide one inch of lift. They provide the same lift as my tires. Judjing from the fender well clearance there is probably a 2" lift kit of some kind under there.

Hopefully Solarmike will check back in on this thread he started?

alnmike

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm curious as what kind of a mpg hit you take lifting a tdi two inches. Living in Alaska, the ability to navigate snow and dirt roads is paramount.

emyrneto

TDI
Golf 2002 TDI-NewBeetle 200 TDI
Tires ?

Please can you tell me wich brand of tire are you using, they look very nice, thanks !!!

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
alnmike said:
I'm curious as what kind of a mpg hit you take lifting a tdi two inches. Living in Alaska, the ability to navigate snow and dirt roads is paramount.
I took no hit that I can tell. My mileage is actually up due to other mods/change in driving style.

gidb36

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle,1998,White,1988 Suzuki Samurai with Ecodiesel installed
Looks like he's using the same type of tires krmn59 and I are. The only AT tire in that size that I could find was the General Grabber AT2. My lift is a little more substantial however and so they sit quite a ways further down.

Thorne

Veteran Member
Not totally on-topic, but here's a calculator that shows the overall differences in tires based on width, aspect ratio and size -

http://www.csgnetwork.com/tireinfo4calc.html

I'm finding it a help when trying to decide whether to get larger wheels or not -==- as many of the larger wheels seem to have lower aspect ratio tires which negates the overall lift benefit.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I REALLY like the look, especially on the Beetle.

I've seen one Jetta with a 2 inch lift and stock 15 in. wheels and tires....kinda silly looking...

John McMillin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, Cyber Green
I had a two-inch lift on my Golf, but I went with just one inch up for my New Beetle. I didn't want a "Baja" look, just a little added clearance. The one-inch lift gave me even tire-to-fender clearance all the way around. It gives a geometric correctness that really complements the Beetle's lines, IMHO.

solarmike

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Beetle TDI, Vanagon Syncro with front and rear lockers, non viscous coupler, with decoupler waiting for a TDI swap
Hey, sorry guy's I haven't been to the forum for a while and didn't realize there was so much response to my post. I got a message from dzlbug to come back and respond. I posted a new thread then I noticed this original one. Sorry. Quick rundown. Metalnerds.com 2" lift kit which are basically round cylinders that were placed above the springs to drop the springs down 2". The General AT2 tires raised me 1 more inch. Also installed a Panzer plate. I am really having fun with the car and it is taking me places that surprise me. I already bent my skid rail real bad due to a hidden rock behind a bush. Before I did all this I just had to sneeze wrong and I would hit bottom. Now I can drive over rocks up to 6" high and not worry. I am looking forward to the taller springs. There are so many back-country roads in Central Oregon to explore leading to caves, fishing, mountain biking etc.

I can get 43 mpg set up this way if I try and 40 mpg average. It is a drop of 1-2 mpg and that is with the bike racks on top. I absolutely love my car! Plus it makes it look a little more manly.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Thanks for the info Mike. Are you having any rubbing issues with the tires? How much and where? What research have you done on the springs, year and model?

solarmike

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the info Mike. Are you having any rubbing issues with the tires? How much and where? What research have you done on the springs, year and model?

I rarely rub at all even though the clearance is limited. When I did rub it was in a tight turn with a big bump. Things will be different once the snow start to fly. When ice gets caked up in the wheel wells I have to take it to the car wash and spray out the ice with warm water, but this will be my first winter with the new tires. The guys at Fixm Haus in Portland said the same year VR6 beetle or golf springs would work and the same or closest year for the jetta wagon springs for the back.

It's a real fun car to explore with and we usually take it mountain biking with three bikes with riders because it gets better mileage than all my friends SUV's.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
VR6 Beetle doesnt exist, though I just picked up a couple used sets of Jetta VR6 springs off the vortex. I'm interested in the wagon springs, but thought I had read somewhere that the spring perches were different and not compatible. Will have to research more I guess.