2003 VW Golf TDI - Lansing Michigan - 180,000 miles - $5,000 obo

DarrenB

TDI
2003 GOLF GLS TDI, Reflex Silver
I'll add some photos once I get a chance. I'm asking $5,000 obo. This is negotiable.

***PHOTOS HERE***

This is a 2003 VW Golf GLS TDI with 180,000 miles. 5-speed manual tranny. Options and add-ons are:
  • GLS trim stuff - Moonroof, power windows, locks, heated seats, etc. (NO stability control)
  • Thule Rack w/bike carriers, and fairing (will have to separate the kayak carrier...my girlfriend was really mad that I listed the car with those!)
  • Aftermarket coolant heater (for cold weather)
  • Complete set of snows and all-weather tires (NO extra rims though); snows are on the car now
  • CAT 2 fuel filter add-on
    [*]After market trailer hitch (hidden hitch)
    [*]100k mile timing belt (done at 98,6**)
    [*]VW front-end bra (only top currently installed)
    [*]Old-skool Vag-Com. Works with serial port. I'll give you a serial-to-USB adapter
    [*]Bilstein TC suspension in Fall 2008

***Lots of concern about the timing belt, so more info to clear up any misconceptions***Timing belt was done at 98,6** miles. The timing belt was replaced with a 100k mile timing belt kit from Dieselgeek. It is due for replacement again at 198,6** miles. You can drive the car about 18,6** miles without worrying about it again.

Glow plugs aren't really working - fault errors for several years. Haven't fixed because it doesn't really bother/affect me - the car starts and runs great as long as it's 20+ degrees F and/or I plug it in for half an hour before starting. It needs to sit overnight in temps less than 20 before it has trouble starting.

Currently, my driver's side window needs to be fixed. I'm just waiting to do it once the weather warms up. One of the Thule rack cross bars needs to be replaced because of rust - although it works fine and holds a load fine - just kinda looks crummy.

***ADDED DETAIL FORGOT ON FIRST RENDITION*** One of the rims has a slow leak. It's been like this, I crap you not, since I bought the car at 22,000 miles in 2004. VW wouldn't touch it under warranty (how do you prove slow leak?), so I've been stuck with the leaky wheel. It's NOT a tire issue, it's a wheel/rim issue. Basically, it requires air about every 10-14 days, depending on the weather. Kinda a pain in the rear-end, but it is what it is. Also, I left my remote key on a hot stove once, and melted the buttons together...needless to say, no more unlocking the car remotely (although the key still does work in the slot). Also, the trunk hatch pistons need replacing - the hatch will not stay open on its own. Also, one of the battery cable connectors is kinda jacked - every once in awhile the cable gets loose and the car won't start until you get out and jiggle it around a bit. I should be clear that the glow plug fault code causes the check-engine light to be on. I'm not kidding you, the CEL has been on since August of 2005. I don't worry about it because every time I've run the Vag-Com, it tells me the only faults are the glow plugs. I haven't had any problems with reliability at all. The weirdest problem this car has ever had is when the MAF sensor went on it in 2006 (I think). Even then, the car still ran...just not well. I ordered up a MAF and installed it in 10 mins. Good to go since.

I've run a lot of biodiesel (B20) through this car, and it runs great. I try to do a diesel purge once a year or so. I've always used high quality oil - either Amsoil or Delvac or Rotella. I actually have several gallons of oil that I'll give you with the car.

This car is extraordinarily reliable. Frankly, I can't believe how good it's been to me. I hate to get rid of it, but I just don't drive long distances anymore, and I want to buy a truck.

The price is negotiable, although I'm not going to give it away. This is a good car. tcmsuguy@gmail.com is my email address. The car is in Lansing Michigan.

Last edited:

DarrenB

TDI
I just added some detail to my original post that I had forgetten concerning a slow leak on one of the wheels.

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
Q's

1) What oil has been run?

2) Who did the TB work at 100k?

Thanks,

Kirk

DarrenB

TDI
Hi all - here are some quickie photos...I have NOT had a chance to detail or even wash this car - was too busy buying a truck today. A lot of people have been expressing interest and asking for photos so here are a few. I will really try and get the car cleaned up and take some more photos later this week.
LANSING, MI 2003 TDI GOLF PHOTOS HERE (CLICK)

DarrenB

TDI
All - I added some timing belt details above. There seems to be much concern that the timing belt is/was due at 80k mile intervals. That is not correct (on this car). This is a 2003 with the 100k mile timing belt interval. It was replaced at 98,6** with another 100k mile belt. (see above for detail).

DarrenB

TDI
in your pics, is the drivers side door left open?..what happened to the windshield?
Not sure what you are referring to with the windshield - it's fine as far as I know. The door was just left ajar when I took the photo - my bad. The driver's side door is fine. The driver's side window is in need of repair - I stupidly tried to open it on a cold day, and the motor coughed ans sputtered, and next thing I know the window is in the door. So it's being held up by duct tape. Needs repair. Glass is not broken.

DarrenB

TDI
Added some details about the car. As I was cleaning it up, taking photos, I remembered some other stuff. I added it above in blue.

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
Need some side body work due to lite scrapping. Need to patch the corner of front bumper cover strip with bondo and repainted or replace the strip after having it painted. Battery tray seems to be rusting and replaced as it is an expensive item. Battery plastic cover needs to be reinstalled. Engine cover should also be put back. Engine hoses need to be cleaned and rubber preserving polish applied. Remove extra hoses I see in the engine bay and bring it back to the way the car was originally. Where there are rust marks, see that they are removed either by polishing or using Rust-O-lum (like in the trunk). The glow plug code, may be P0671 thru P0673 can be fixed by replacing all four glow plus (4 Bosch thru e-bay for $54) and glow plug harness (for $65). The dealer charges over $500 for this job but you can do yourself by carefully unwinding the harness insulation that is black cloth tape (I did recently and you can reuse the original cloth tape if you unwind it carefully using heat gun - see my thread on this site). The car will not pass emission here if there is check engine lite. So the glow plug issue ought to be solved to get rid of MIL although it is not creating any driveability problem. My prayers for your speedy sale of the car.

Last edited:

DarrenB

TDI
Hi all - there is a deal pending on this car. I highly anticipate that it will go through. Thanks for the interest, I'm flattered that my little car is/was so highly sought after!

-Darren

PS About the window switch - I put tape on it to keep me from accidentally trying to open the window in its current state...which could be interesting. haha

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW 5spd (dual duty track car and daily driver beater)
I can vouch for the accuracy of this ad, I know the owner and the car. He used good oil, good fuel, and good filters so you can be confident in the quality of the engine. He's an honest guy. Someone can still seal this deal if they show up with a good offer and cash in hand soon!

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI 5MT, 05 Honda Odyssey EX-L
looks like a nice car with a lot of pics to go on.

larsbar

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
I thought that this car sold? I could have sworn that I saw a post that said it sold sometime during the weekend.

munkee

TDI
2006 tdi jetta
Like the car, need to unload a couple toys before I could grab it, in need of a dirtbike or sled at all?