Difference between DSG Tune vs Manual Tune for the motor (EA288)?

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
Is there a difference between DSG Tune vs Manual Tune for the motor?
Long story short there is a local guy who bought a tune for his car and totaled it out before flashing the car (so I'm told)

He is willing to part with the stage 1 tune for a really good price. However his was for a manual and my car is an auto (DSG). From my understanding these are different controllers and on a 2015 the DSG tune is not required.

want to make sure I'm not going to mess up my car if I do it or get stuck with something i can't use.

Angus1

TDI
'15 GSW TDI 6MT
I think but not positive. Engine tune is separate from dsg tune. So for an engine tune it doesn't matter what trans is bolted to it. Almost positive

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
I would go for dedicated tune specially because you have dsg an torque must be calibrated correctly so that dsg works ok receiving real torque from engine.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
There are numerous differences between the DSG and Manual transmission versions. I won't bore you with the specifics, but it's definitely NOT a plug and play kind of situation. Those ECU don't have switchable soft coding between auto and manual transmissions like the older cars do.

Angus1

TDI
'15 GSW TDI 6MT
I think but not positive. Engine tune is separate from dsg tune. So for an engine tune it doesn't matter what trans is bolted to it. Almost positive
There are numerous differences between the DSG and Manual transmission versions. I won't bore you with the specifics, but it's definitely NOT a plug and play kind of situation. Those ECU don't have switchable soft coding between auto and manual transmissions like the older cars do.
Im not an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. lol

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Is there a difference between DSG Tune vs Manual Tune for the motor?
Long story short there is a local guy who bought a tune for his car and totaled it out before flashing the car (so I'm told)
I imagine the ECU tune he bought was on some sort of hand held tuner box (or was it utronic and he bought a cable)? And you're looking to see if you can buy that tuner box and use it on your car?

Any tuned files exchanged between owner and tuning company are VIN locked, so no dice for just plugging in and tuning your car.

Sounds like the only value the guy has to offer is the tuning box or cable.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Even if it were the right tune, I'd be wary. Most people don't wait long to flash in a tune after they get it. I'd imagine the popular tuners would give a refund if the customers car got wrecked before they could load it.