3 point socket

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
If I had a junky 6 point 24mm socket and ground every other flat spot all the way to round, would that work to get that plug out? Maybe I'm a cheap'o but 20 bux is expensive to rent a tool...I understand some of that is shipping but if I can make one for almost free I'm all about that and I'm out in the boonies so no help from bigger shops that might actually have one

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
That big plug in the middle of the injection lines

I've got a leak on the IP and I think it's that plug or whatever it is

Already changed the pump head seal twice and the QA is sealed now...replaced the crush seals under the nipples in the pump head, still a fast drip

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
You need to leave that plug alone.

If you have a leak it is the O-ring on the pump head ... the cast iron thingy with the four injector line fittings!

To my knowledge, there is zero Threads here that guide you through removing that big nut or what ever it is called.

The re-seal kit, which has more than you'll ever need, costs less than $20.00 shipped. Also, Runobeer has a very good video and write-up how to change the pump head O-ring.

Lastly, the rubber gasket for the top piece (forgot the name) and the next one down also comes in the kit. The top one is known to leak.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I've already changed that seal

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Twice, I thought I messed the new seal up

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
There is a wet spot coming from that plug down to the bracket and that's where it drips, I took the bracket off to confirm it's not coming from the pump head seal

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Hmm.

Well, I'm at a loss as I've never seen anything about removing that plug for a re-seal.

Maybe an experienced guru will chime in here.

BTW, I'll send out those notes, etc., on the schematics in the morning.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
It's just a plug, nothing will fall out when it's removed. Has an o-ring that sees case pressure and a knife edge seal that sees injection pressure. I've read it's a one time use part but I've reused it.

Grinding a socket will work but I don't know what size.

You sure it's not the leeetle center plug?

Last edited:

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
While it's not as common of a seal to leak, they do fail. As mentioned, that plug is technically a 1 time use. When I worked at a fuel shop, we would inspect it and most often it was safe to reuse again. The knife edge gets crushed so depending on how crushed it was determined whether or not it would be reused. Odds are you'll be fine.

I think that plug gets torqued to 100 ft-lbs.

If you search on VWdiesel.net you'll find the proper sized socket to cut down. It's the same plug on the older IDI engines. It might be in the FAQ over there.

Or spend $33 and have all the tools you need
Amazon link

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I looked and I couldn't find anything using Tapatalk anyway...I found some chrome vanadium sockets in my toolbox, 15/16 and 1 inch and I'm sure I can make one of those work...and I had 20 bux store credit on my AutoZone card and their Dremel was on sale, didn't want the Dremel just the tools inside but it didn't cost me anything...

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I made a 3 point 15/16 socket and it worked like a charm, cut every other flat spot off.

The seal looked ok but replaced it anyway and it's good now...

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I did one with a hammer and chisel like you would a fan clutch
didn't seal too good on the steel-steel part after that, had to introduce a copper washer in there to get it running again, was interesting in that I could get fuel at the line nuts, but nothing out of the injectors

when the new one showed up, milled the three flats onto it to fit a 15/16 socket like they shoulda from the factory

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I had thought about that but I have 3 and not sure if I want that much fun in my life.

But on another note, I stretched the old o-ring and I could see the really fine cracks in it.

The leak came on when I let the car set for a week or so. I let the other Jetta set for about 2 months and the decoupler wasn't holding. I'm seeing a pattern of I shouldn't let one sit for too long.