Project Race Wagon - 15 GSW Street/Track Build

Larry@FixMyVW

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
Project Race Wagon
This wagon was supposed to be a stock daily driver, but... somehow snowballed into a stealthy corner carver.

Suspension:
Bilstein PSS10
Ground Control Camber Plates
Spulen Swaybar Endlinks
ECS Tuning Front Lower Control Arms
Neuspeed Torsion Bar

Brakes/Wheels/Tires:
OEM 340 MM Rotors
EBC Yellow Pads
Enkei PF01 18x8
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+
ECS Wheel Stud Conversion

Drivetrain:
Wavetrac LSD
DKM Clutch Kit

Engine Performance:
JR Auto Tuning Stage 3
CR190 Turbo
Buzzken DPF Delete
Neuspeed Cold Air Intake
Snow Performance Methanol Injection
Exterior:
Helix Replica Headlights
eBay grill insert
OEM Euro rear hatch splitters

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Looks nice. Is that clutch on a single or dual mass flywheel?

Had it on a dyno yet?

Larry@FixMyVW

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
Looks nice. Is that clutch on a single or dual mass flywheel?

Had it on a dyno yet?
Single Mass Flywheel.
Dynoed with the factory turbo, Buzzken DPF delete, and JR Stage 2 @ 176HP/336TQ. As soon as the Wavetrac install is complete we will be going back to dyno the CR190.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Not sure if it'd work with your camber plates, but I've been eyeing a strut tower brace.

I've heard good things from the Eurocode (only one I know of) and it goes on sale every now any then at $200.

How much of a change did you notice from the lower front control arms?

Larry@FixMyVW

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
Not sure if it'd work with your camber plates, but I've been eyeing a strut tower brace.

I've heard good things from the Eurocode (only one I know of) and it goes on sale every now any then at $200.

How much of a change did you notice from the lower front control arms?
I only changed the front arms since I was hunting down a suspension noise; it wasn't the control arms. However, the factory bushings were shockingly soft. The car does ride firm, but NVH isn't terrible.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Single Mass Flywheel.
Dynoed with the factory turbo, Buzzken DPF delete, and JR Stage 2 @ 176HP/336TQ. As soon as the Wavetrac install is complete we will be going back to dyno the CR190.

Do you have the stock dyno chart for that car

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
That must be fun. I tracked my '02 Wagon for years, had a blast. Don't think I'll do that to my '15 however.

If you can get front camber to the -3 degree range you'll see a huge improvement in grip.

Larry@FixMyVW

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
That must be fun. I tracked my '02 Wagon for years, had a blast. Don't think I'll do that to my '15 however.

If you can get front camber to the -3 degree range you'll see a huge improvement in grip.
It is a blast! Current camber is factory spec, thanks for the tip! Our biggest problem, last track day, was being able to put power down. Anytime a tire was on the painted surface coming out of a corner, while applying throttle, that wheel would spin and throw traction control into a fit. We're hoping the Wavetrac differential will help the situation.

Daks

TDI
golf
Single Mass Flywheel.
Can the stock clutch hold the levels of power identified above?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
It is a blast! Current camber is factory spec, thanks for the tip! Our biggest problem, last track day, was being able to put power down. Anytime a tire was on the painted surface coming out of a corner, while applying throttle, that wheel would spin and throw traction control into a fit. We're hoping the Wavetrac differential will help the situation.
I got black flagged at the hairpin turn at Mt. Tremblant for what they thought was coolant loss. It was tire smoke, spinning the inside front wheel coming out of the turn. No wonder my slicks didn't last that long. :D

Larry@FixMyVW

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
Mine would not, it slipped with just a tune. It would slip, in a high gear, low rpm, heavy throttle input. The DKM clutch will hold 660ft/lbs, which is a ludicrous amount. However, the twin disk design enables similar clutch engagement and feel to stock. Fantastic for daily driving!

Daks

TDI
golf
Mine would not, it slipped with just a tune. It would slip, in a high gear, low rpm, heavy throttle input. The DKM clutch will hold 660ft/lbs, which is a ludicrous amount. However, the twin disk design enables similar clutch engagement and feel to stock. Fantastic for daily driving!
I have a stage 2 Malone and mine holds just fine, for now - but I rarely give heavy throttle input in low rpm situations - always downshift.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta

FWIW, the stock clutch holds just fine in our GSW at these torque levels in this dyno, >350 ft-lb from 1800-2800 rpm (and compare to stock)

4th gear dyno, kerma stage 1 completely stock car, no deletes, tune only

Larry@FixMyVW

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
FWIW, the stock clutch holds just fine in our GSW at these torque levels in this dyno, >350 ft-lb from 1800-2800 rpm (and compare to stock)
4th gear dyno, kerma stage 1 completely stock car, no deletes, tune only
Here are some pictures of the factory clutch out of my car (~40k miles). DKM installed their multi-plate clutch kit and evaluated the OEM unit. No signs of overheating, no broken fingers, flywheel still intact. It was of their opinion that the pressure plate does not have enough clamping force. Waiting on their clamping force measurements of the factory pressure plate.

Last edited:

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Looks fun. Gotta ask, since my GSW is Tornado Red, were the grille and headlight housing a simple switchover from the lighting package originals to the GTI ones? I'd like to see that look on a red GSW.

Larry@FixMyVW

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
Looks fun. Gotta ask, since my GSW is Tornado Red, were the grille and headlight housing a simple switchover from the lighting package originals to the GTI ones? I'd like to see that look on a red GSW.
Being an S model, my car had the standard halogens. I purchased the replica lighting package headlights from BEC autoparts and the grill from eBay. They were all a direct swap. Would look good on a red car!

Larry@FixMyVW

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
Larry, how do you like the Michelins?
They have been fantastic! I replaced the front two after 15,000 miles and 6 trackdays. I call that a win! I was going to go with Super Sports, but a friend at Michelin recommended the A/S3+. I recommend them to everyone. We even just put a set on our shop BMW 328d Xdrive.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
You really should get some dedicated track tires. Hoosier R7s or Toyo Proxes R888Rs. The difference between a street tire (especially an A/S, Michelin Sport or not) and a dedicated track tire is night and day. They're expensive and they don't last, but the grip is worth it. For some reason a lot of track day people don't spend $$ on tires, but they'll spend elsewhere. But it's the best mod you can do to improve cornering and traction.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Odd, reports of GTI and R's needing upgraded clutches at less torque at those RPMS after a Stg 1 tune.

Maybe it's all about power delivery.

Daks

TDI
golf
Odd, reports of GTI and R's needing upgraded clutches at less torque at those RPMS after a Stg 1 tune.

Maybe it's all about power delivery.
I wouldn't necessarily agree with that - I think it all comes down to the driver. My car prior to this was a MK6 R Stage 2+. The clutch never slipped once. If you're in 6th and floor it at 2,000 RPM, yes it will most likely slip, so, don't do that.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wouldn't necessarily agree with that - I think it all comes down to the driver. My car prior to this was a MK6 R Stage 2+. The clutch never slipped once. If you're in 6th and floor it at 2,000 RPM, yes it will most likely slip, so, don't do that.

I didn't say the driver can modify their right foot to avoid clutch slippage, just that stock 6MT clutches are considered a weak link that need to be aware of/address on the Mk7 2.0/1.8 TSI platform. This is similar to peak torque of a stage 2 tune and the DMF shudder on the EA288 DSG.

Hopefully power delivery of the TDI doesn't show the same weak link (I believe it's the same clutch set up)

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I must be using a "heartbreak" dyno. My deleted '15 with CP3 (200bar more fuel pressure) was nothing close to the above figures. Granted, I did not dyno with it in stock form which I should have. It'll go to the same dyno once the 1752vrk is dialed in though so I'll have good comparison numbers. DC stage 3 clutch also has ridiculous torque rating with amazingly stock pedal effort. Amazing the differences compared to my dated SBC stage 3 on the 02J in my Jetta.