2011 Golf LED DRL Retrofit

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
OK, so I'm trying to figure out who would replace their 2010/2011-style HIDs with the 2012 style. I mean, those of us with factory HID-equipped cars already spent the exta $$$ for that feature when we bought the car. And now someone is going to pay **again** to replace those wonderful headlights, just to get LEDs?

I know, to each his/her own with regard to how money is spent. But I can't imagine someone spending this kind of additional money just to get LEDs.

motoblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf DSG
I personally don't like the style. They're just too bling-y for me. The only advantage to me is that you'd probably never have to replace either DRLs or your xenon bulbs for as long as you owned your car, barring a malfunction.

Given that the xenon bulbs will likely last at least 8 years with moderate use even while still used as DRLs, that the replacements cost as low as $40 per bulb, or you can turn the DRLs off altogether, I'm more than happy with my simpler, cleaner looking lights.

TDI Stevestr

Veteran Member
TDI
Former 2011 Golf 4 Dr TDI DSG; Looking at the '17 Chevy Colorado
OK, so I'm trying to figure out who would replace their 2010/2011-style HIDs with the 2012 style. I mean, those of us with factory HID-equipped cars already spent the exta $$$ for that feature when we bought the car. And now someone is going to pay **again** to replace those wonderful headlights, just to get LEDs?

I know, to each his/her own with regard to how money is spent. But I can't imagine someone spending this kind of additional money just to get LEDs.
You know honestly if I could convert the city lights in the cluster to DRLs I would probably be just as happy. I honestly can't justify (even at discount) $500 per side to convert. I do like the way LED lamps do look however. I think my priority would be for LED tails first but I was just curious if it could even be done.

I guess I am one of those in the minority on this in that I do like the LED look and I don't like having to run my HIDs for my DRLs.

piney

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW-TDI/DSG
You know honestly if I could convert the city lights in the cluster to DRLs I would probably be just as happy. I honestly can't justify (even at discount) $500 per side to convert. I do like the way LED lamps do look however. I think my priority would be for LED tails first but I was just curious if it could even be done.

I guess I am one of those in the minority on this in that I do like the LED look and I don't like having to run my HIDs for my DRLs.
Is there a market for the takeouts to defer the cost? As the LEDs become more and more common, they are growing on me although I prefer OEM anything over aftermarket electronics or lights. My one wish is that VW would have allowed the JSW to be optioned with the Xenon lights like the Golf has available.

KIX

TDI
2016 Sportwagen TDI SE
I was really thorn on changing my HID to led version, in fact i REally belived led look "tacky" for a better word, but After I saw them in action, I was sold, belive me in photo they look mmeeehhh!, its only when you see them in real life you really like them.

So I changed mine, they cost 1000 but I sold my original Xenon HID headlights for 900, so the difference was only 100.

I have sold some sets and all the people who have bought leds are very happy with them. The only thing I dont like is that the leds are SUPER DUPER BRIGHT, they can be coded so they go off at Night when you engage the HID, because believe me they are really bright.
pic