Code 01221 - Crash Sensor

khoutler

TDI
2001 Jetta
Hello all,

I have searched through the TDI forums and don't seem to be able to find a specific answer to my problem. 2001 Jetta, never in an accident and now I have an airbag light that will not clear. A workmate with a vag-com plugged in and this what he found;

VAG-COM Version: Release 311.2-N

Control Module Part Number: 06A 906 032 BP
Component and/or Version: 2.0l R4/2V G 3888
Software Coding: 00001
Work Shop Code: WSC 01317
2 Faults Found:
18062 - Please check DTC Memory of Instrument Cluster
P1654 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
18017 - Crash Shut-Down Activated
P1609 - 35-00 - -

VAG-COM Version: Release 311.2-N

Control Module Part Number: 6Q0 909 605 F
Component and/or Version: 03 AIRBAG VW6 0202 0004
Software Coding: 12339
Work Shop Code: WSC 01317
1 Fault Found:
01221 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag: Driver Side (G179)
62-00 - No or Incorrect Adjustment

Cleared the codes and the light came back on immediately so we also checked the Measuring Block Values in 009 and they are;

1 – 2 – 2 – 2

Comparing those values to the linked VAG-COM decoder (below)

009,0,Crash Sensor I (Identification)
009,1,Driver Side,Front

009,2,Passenger Side,Front
009,3,Driver Side,Rear
009,4,Passenger Side,Rear

I am wondering if the sensor is the wrong sensor or if anybody else has seen this before and can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Ken

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Interesting...that looks like a 2.0 gasser ecm. There is a crash activation stored in the ecm and a sensor/airbag module mismatch.

We have had some hell trying to get correct airbag control modules and sensors ordered. The parts catalog does not VIN decode for older cars very well. And you have to match the version of side impact sensors and airbag control module. Either version of either part will work in the car but they have to match each other.

What my quick guess here is this:
First, the driver side crash sensor was replaced for what ever reason. When it was replaced the wrong part was used. Hence your fault that won't clear.
Next, crash data stored does not mean the car was wrecked. There are a few stories of unaware mechanics setting off airbags while doing wheel alignments. It's because the key was left on and mechanic banged on suspension with a hammer. Airbag module read it as a side impact and stored crash data. Perfect conditions would not set off airbags.

So I would double check your part numbers and make sure you have the correct sensor. And depending on the situation I would pick over that car for signs that airbag have been replaced.

Jason

khoutler

TDI
2001 Jetta
Silver Ghost,

Thanks so much for your response. I was also suspecting that the sensor is a mismatch.

Out of curiosity, do you know offhand what the measuring block values should be for 009?

Thanks again,

Ken

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Uhhh... I think something like 07 09 01 01...but that is a complete shot in the dark. The main part I remember is that values are drastically different from the correct sensor to the wrong sensor. So the 1 -2 -2 -2 would be something like 7 -9 -1 -1. I can't remember where the info is but if I stumble across it I'll let you know.

Oh, and the part I was trying to remember last night, the sensor in question is under the carpet under the seat. At least I believe 2001 only had the pair side impact sensors under the front seats. Some (like my 2005) have it under the trim at the outer edge of the back seat as well.

I'm rambling...good luck!

Jason