Rear Shocks, again...

dschultz

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon
A questions about replacing shocks/struts.

Background: At about 80,000 miles I noticed the rear tires were cupping. I replaced the rear shocks and much later got the Jetta's third set of tires.
I installed the OEM style from idparts, nothing like Koni or Bilstien.

Now at 162,000 miles I see the tires just starting to cup. I think the rear of the car has been bouncy for a while, I should have noticed.

The question is at 162,000 miles should I just replace struts and shocks or just replace the rears again?

Also not matter what I am considering better quality now...Koni (Reds?) or Bilstiens?

Any thoughts?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I would do both, front is likely pretty worn if not already replaced. Chances are once you change the shocks in front you'll likely be happier driving it.
I don't recommend changing the springs unless you want to change height, out they're broken.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Check your bushings

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
When my Jetta ate the inside edge of the rear tires, mine was due to saggy springs, so I changed the springs and the dampers. Recently my rear shock mounts were replaced as there was clunk every time I went over a bump: while I was in there I replaced the springs, the dampers, and all the bolts/shock boots etc. I used the IDParts "Beef on a Budget" setup with the Koni STR.T's: MOOG springs and the "install kit" for both front and rear. She rides and handles better, and I don't drag the front valance when I go across parking curbs anymore.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
When my Jetta ate the inside edge of the rear tires, mine was due to saggy springs, so I changed the springs and the dampers. Recently my rear shock mounts were replaced as there was clunk every time I went over a bump: while I was in there I replaced the springs, the dampers, and all the bolts/shock boots etc. I used the IDParts "Beef on a Budget" setup with the Koni STR.T's: MOOG springs and the "install kit" for both front and rear. She rides and handles better, and I don't drag the front valance when I go across parking curbs anymore.
The rear tend to sag more than the front and VW is especially this way. The front weight doesn't change as much as the rear, which puts added wear on the rear in comparison. Also the rear tend to break more often than do the front.
Without fully inspecting the springs for breaking and such it's difficult to to know what you should do exactly.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Sounds to me like you are not rotating the tires as required, and possibly using a poor choice of tire.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I see none of us has responded to the brand question.
This depends on what you want out of the ride, and what you want to spend in the end.

Oilhammer has a valid point, cupping is often due to tire quality, or inflation rather than suspension.

dschultz

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon
I have noticed the rear of the car has become more bouncy lately, so I think the cupping is a symptom of worn out shocks.

I don't want anything too stiff but would like to improve on stock while I am in there again. With winter approaching I think I will replace the rears and focus on my fender rust problem before I replace the struts.

Thought son what shocks to get?

Bilstein TC or sport?
Koni Red or STR.T?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Depends on what you want and what you want to spend.

I would go sport if Bilstein and you want upgraded suspension. Effort is the same for install.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I love my Koni Yellows and the MoGolf spring upgrade. Of course I did a complete suspension refresh on my dearly departed 2002 Golf: ball joints, tie rods, lower control arms, + the Koni yellows and MoGolf Springs. Not long after I replaced the rear trailing arm bushings.

The Koni Yellow with springs are going into my 2003 Jetta Wagon. I have the front set in my garage attached to the steering knuckle as I replaced the front wheel bearings recently and it is the easiest way to do the install: 3 bolts on the ball joint and one on the top of the strut, remove the brake caliper.

Last edited:

kreibach

Veteran Member
TDI
sold my 03 :-(
I had big problems with cupping on Goodyear TrippleTread tires on the rear (correct size, speed rating, and load rating). They performed great until they cupped. I changed shocks, bushings, mounts, etc to no avail. They are directional so I couldn't cross rotate, but no amount of rotating helped. I noticed after I bought them that the Goodyear website stopped recommending them for my 2003 Jetta even though they came in my size 195/60R15. I think they learned that the tire standing wave dynamics is incompatible with this vehicle's dynamics. Not every tire of the right size is right for the car.

After suffering through years of wearing those out, I changed to non-directional tires and I cross rotate every 10k miles and haven't had cupping since.