best replacement radio for mk6 that has carplay?

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Want the biggest screen possible and of course apply carplay support as well and works well with all the sportwagens components.

must be plug and play.
work with the back up camera
not need any silly adapters that cost a fortune

VW OEM prefferred but Ill consider that which is known to work well

Any suggestions?

Thanks
peter

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
You have the same desires that I have - I just got my JSW 2014 on Wednesday, and have been looking at the options ever since I got a rental car with Carplay in it.

I have one more requirement that I don't think the OEM has yet: Wireless carplay b/c I have a wireless charging case (iphone 7 doesn't wireless charge) and the only answer I know of for this is from Alpine. That rental car, the phone WOULD NOT connect to the radio unless I was using a lightning connector, the micro-usb in the case was not detected. constantly removing the phone from the case is not an acceptable option.

My research thus far:

If you have the premium audio with the amp under the seat, you may have issues and will have to replace the amp too.
Fully upgraded OEM options MAY have to come with their own amp.

I have no idea what the naming structure means yet, what "MIB" is, but there is a second generation for it.

Sat service MAY be inside the radio, but I suspect it is in it's own module located somewhere in the back of the JSW, as some people have replaced radio and the sat still functions with the same sat-radio ID. My experience with Jeeps is that the Sirius unit is located in the rear wall of the cargo area, where the antenna wires connect.

Backup camera is a 20-pin cable (because of course VW has to be special) and yeah, there will have to be an adapter for that if going aftermarket. I want that to work too. Not 100% on the steering wheel buttons... But that's secondary.

If OEM CarPlay would work through the micro-USB, cabled is OK.

Joe Romas

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sprotswagen
Like Geordi I also just got a 2014 JSW with backup camera but NOT GPS. And I too am drowning in alphabet soup of letters. Don't know what radio I have but it has backup camera and sirus but no gps. I've seen simple MIB to USB adapter cables here and that would satisfy basic my needs.
But having 2 or more USB outlets in front of the shiftier would be fantastic but that leads to the alphabet and year soup.

Help please

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Joe... Welcome to the club of being bit by the upgrade bug. ;)

I did a ton of reading since that post last year, and ended up with one of the RCD330 units that can be firmware upgraded (it is called the "noname" type) and it runs on linux.

Cabled through the front USB on the radio, carplay works great through the micro-USB. Looks like the compatibility issue I had with the rental was just something about that brand, it was a Hyundai. Oh well - it was also a rental, so who cares.

I have not yet gotten the backup camera to work. The 20-pin connector they used, only uses 4 or 6 wires, and I bought one adapter that is non functional so far... Or I might have it wired wrong. I haven't had much time or interest in messing with that in a couple months since I got the radio, I'll get back to that when it isn't 300 degrees outside.

ToffeeBrownJSW

TDI
'14 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I’ve been searching for an upgrade myself for a similar system in my ‘14 JSW. The stock mk6 radio is fine for now but CarPlay is a major upgrade with managing music and navigation. A friend of mine has a mk7.5 GTI with CarPlay. His biggest issue with his stock radio is that the phone will only work with CarPlay if it’s plugged in through usb. Jensen and Pioneer both make big touchscreen interfaces that can connect to CarPlay that are pretty affordable, but if you want a wireless connection you’re looking at paying $900 and up.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AV1550/Pioneer-AVH-1550NEX.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_110VX7024/Jensen-VX7024.html?tp=20222

These two are fairly affordable. I’ve looked into the oem touchscreen radios in the rcd line and really didn’t think they were worth the $800-$1200 price I found them for new. I believe both of the linked systems should connect right into the backup camera as well.

ewdysar

TDI
2014 JSW TDi 6m
I too, have wanted to add carplay to my ‘14 JSW (that I bought new). The current radio is fine and I use everything but the nav; e.g. radio, cd, bluetooth, phone, back-up cam, touch screen, steering wheel buttons, MFD info, the factory iPhone-lightning adapter in the center armrest console, etc. I do not want to sacrifice any of the regular features, I just want to add carplay. Ok, I would give up the armrest iPhone adapter if moved to someplace better, but you should get the idea. Even with wireless/bluetooth, I find it good to have a hard-wire backup. Any suggestions?

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
RCD 330 plus 187B ‘Noname’, but you will lose the CD and MFD info while trading the iPhone adapter for a USB. Presently under $300.

garreth5

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta
I’ve been searching for an upgrade myself for a similar system in my ‘14 JSW. The stock mk6 radio is fine for now but CarPlay is a major upgrade with managing music and navigation. A friend of mine has a mk7.5 GTI with CarPlay. His biggest issue with his stock radio is that the phone will only work with CarPlay if it’s plugged in through usb. Jensen and Pioneer both make big touchscreen interfaces that can connect to CarPlay that are pretty affordable, but if you want a wireless connection you’re looking at paying $900 and up.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AV1550/Pioneer-AVH-1550NEX.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_110VX7024/Jensen-VX7024.html?tp=20222

These two are fairly affordable. I’ve looked into the oem touchscreen radios in the rcd line and really didn’t think they were worth the $800-$1200 price I found them for new. I believe both of the linked systems should connect right into the backup camera as well.

I think the Jensen VX7024 is a good choice since it has a built-in navi. Hope someone here has a personal experience with it.

ToffeeBrownJSW

TDI
'14 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
RCD 330 plus 187B ‘Noname’, but you will lose the CD and MFD info while trading the iPhone adapter for a USB. Presently under $300.

Yeah I’ve seen these aftermarket imports on amazon for cheap I can’t say I trust them because there aren’t enough reviews of people who have tried them out. This would seem the best plug and play option without an adapter though because they look almost identical to the stock radio.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
i have tdi trendline 2015 .Can i put navi on my Passat ?
Of course. You have many options. Aftermarket. RCD330 with CarPlay. RNS315, RNS510.

Either way, you will just have to install a GPS antenna somewhere. Behind the radio stuck to the steel rebar works just fine.

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah I’ve seen these aftermarket imports on amazon for cheap I can’t say I trust them because there aren’t enough reviews of people who have tried them out. This would seem the best plug and play option without an adapter though because they look almost identical to the stock radio.
I researched here: https://rcd330plus.com/index.php and eventually bought from a member that has a lot of good transactions and seems active and responsive. It was a good transaction for me too, the radio arrived in perfect condition and very well packed.