Anyone else impressed with Golf TDI power?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It definitely is that fastest car that is also rated 40+mpg and under $25K.basically only prius or civic hybrid. Given all factors, i consider it the best compromise and the car for me

Pretty sure a new Honda Civic(non hybrid) is faster and cheaper (msrp)@ 40+ mpg. Factor in the cheaper fuel and maintenance, and cost of ownership is quite a bit less. Probably true of quite a few others as well.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I can't really describe my 15 GSW TDI as "powerful". Especially after driving my 566 wtq 335D that still gets 40+ mpg on the highway.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Tow rating in the US is much less, either 1500 or 2000 lbs. it's the same car, but comparing the Euro tow rating to other cars' US ratings is apples and oranges
US rating has nothing to do with actual ability thanks to power and chassis, I had no problem towing 3000 plus lbs

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Pretty sure a new Honda Civic(non hybrid) is faster and cheaper (msrp)@ 40+ mpg. Factor in the cheaper fuel and maintenance, and cost of ownership is quite a bit less. Probably true of quite a few others as well.
There are a lot cars that are listed as being faster...with just the driver on board, but load up with passengers and some cargo and I wouldn't be surprised if the TDI is faster and will still get great mpg.

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
I love being able to beat able to beat my buddies Civic SI or some unsuspecting WRX. Then turn around and get 40+ mpg while they are below 20 mpg after one pull.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Turning off torque limiter would make tdi's with dsg faster launching.

nomadic

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S dsg
I'll take a DSG over a CVT any day. Also the way I drive, I get 34-35 in mixed driving with the the TDI. I'd be getting around 30mpg with the Civic.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'll take a DSG over a CVT any day. Also the way I drive, I get 34-35 in mixed driving with the the TDI. I'd be getting around 30mpg with the Civic.
And I'd take the stickshift over either of those. Don't get me wrong- the tdi's are great cars, and I'd rather drive one than a base civic, but I wouldn't buy one with speed as a prime consideration. They have never been fast. Get a BMW if you want a fast diesel.

nomadic

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S dsg
I wouldn't buy one with speed as a prime consideration. They have never been fast. Get a BMW if you want a fast diesel.
I didn't buy one with speed as primary consideration. I just wanted a car that was fun to drive and fast "enough". And it's definitely that. My g/f actually thinks it's FAST, lol.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
i hate it when my wife thinks that :(

Maxhawk

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Torque always makes whatever you're driving feel fast. I guess it's the almost instant push-in-the-back you get when using the right pedal, rather than having to wait for the engine to build revs.
I drive my '15 GSW 6MT daily these days (bought it this past May) and feel pretty satisfied with the power and low end torque and feel like the car is fairly quick. But then I get in my APR chipped 2013 S6 and I'm blown away like I'm driving it for the first time. It's so effortless and smooth and 1/4 throttle shoots you in front of all other traffic. I guess >600 lb-ft of torque has something to do with it :).
My point is, the GSW TDI feels satisfyingly quick but isn't fast. There are other 4-banger gas cars that can out accelerate me but at the expense of having to thrash their engine to do so. I can drive the TDI hard and still get 40 MPG, and that's with tweaking the fuel mileage with VCDS (108%). The car continues to impress me and I won't be getting rid of it anytime soon.

pmoulton5018

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S 6MT
I recently got a gtb2260 in mine I absolutely love it. The torque is insane. And I manage to get my tires to spin very easily my fronts are 245/50/16 nitto nt555r’s.

tdiinsc

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI, 14' Jetta TDI
I used to get about 28 mpg (mostly city 80/20 mix) in my old 06' si. With my tuned mk6 jetta, i now get 42mpg consistently on my same commute and i dont have to rev the crap out of the engine to move quickly...for city driveability the TDI really shines, maybe not so much in the fuel economy department (at least not according to the EPA).