TDIFest 2012 -Looking for Expressions of Interest

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Hi Everyone,

Since TDIFest 2011 is almost upon us, it is never too early to start thinking about TDIFest 2012. Often there is a lot of talk about where TDIFest should be, but the reality is the key is the WHO and not the WHERE.

With that in mind I'm starting the selection process of a little differently this year buy requesting for an "expression of interest" by a group interested in hosting and planning the next TDIFest. I will then work with the groups to see if a viable proposal can be put together.

With this in mind the first thing I'm looking for is an "expression of interest" which is easier to put together and will require the following:
  • At least five(5) TDIClub members who are are willing to work together as a group to hosting the next TDIFest.
  • The location you think would work for the next TDIFest and where at least of the group lives nearby.
  • A few reasons why this location would be a good fit

Given that a perfect opportunity to network with TDIFest organizers is coming next week at TDIFest 2011, I am asking that these expressions of interest be submitted by September 1st. If one or more of your group is present at TDIFest 2011, we can use this opportunity to network with some previous organizers to your group put together a good proposal.

After that the next step will be to put together an official proposal and send it to me. I will then select the next group and location from the submitted proposals. For details on what is required for the proposals, please check out last years thread on putting together a proposal..

If you have any questions fire me an email or PM and remember the expressions of interest are due by September 1st.

Thanks

Fred who is looking forward to seeing where he might be going next year.:)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Formally expressing interest in Ypsilanti, Michigan for 2012. Will discuss plans with some of the Michigan locals at Fest this year. :cool:

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
I say New England...fun, cheap and easy to fly into and out of, lots of interesting places to go and things to do......

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Michigan local expressing interest in doing any local legwork necessary for the proposed Ypsi Fest. :cool:

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Michigan would be fun.

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
Fred I would like to put my hat in the ring for the G.R.V.D. area... Let me know if its too late...

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
Michigan would be ok for western Canada too. +1 for Colorado, would be very good for family too. X1 million for G.R.V.D. I don't live near there anymore but I'm more than willing to help in any way.

Last edited:

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I think a mountain run in Colorado would be fun.
I talked to two of the regional VW clubs leadership, large groups a few years ago to see if they were interested in helping put on a front range TDIfest and got positive response. The only problem was I had trouble getting much local TDIclub membership support.

I have personal experience of being on the Rocky Mountain Dart Ass. board of directors putting on the yearly $15k-18k annual dart tournament in Denver. So I have a good idea of what is involved in doing an event like this.

But unless we can put together a local committee willing to do the work involved in having the fest here it will never get off the ground..........That said, if we can come together ( at least 8-10 of us )and have a couple of exploratory meetings in the Denver area of local TDIclub members I'm there.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hmmm,

Formally expressing interest in Ypsilanti, Michigan for 2012. :cool:
I have a really good feeling about this place. MI is one of the states I still need to "conquer" in my TDI. :) I feel another epic road trip plan brewing... :D

Scott

TDI Stevestr

Veteran Member
TDI
Former 2011 Golf 4 Dr TDI DSG; Looking at the '17 Chevy Colorado
I talked to two of the regional VW clubs leadership, large groups a few years ago to see if they were interested in helping put on a front range TDIfest and got positive response. The only problem was I had trouble getting much local TDIclub membership support.

I have personal experience of being on the Rocky Mountain Dart Ass. board of directors putting on the yearly $15k-18k annual dart tournament in Denver. So I have a good idea of what is involved in doing an event like this.

But unless we can put together a local committee willing to do the work involved in having the fest here it will never get off the ground..........That said, if we can come together ( at least 8-10 of us )and have a couple of exploratory meetings in the Denver area of local TDIclub members I'm there.
I agree. Threw feelers out there for Colorado and not much of a response. If you ever get anything going I'd be glad to be on the board.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Fred I would like to put my hat in the ring for the G.R.V.D. area... Let me know if its too late...
X 1 million for G.R.V.D. I don't live near there anymore but I'm more than willing to help in any way.
The sun sets earlier on this coast, so I was probably asleep when that acronym was created.
Can you help identify the location?
Please?
And soon
because all I can think of, and I KNOW it's not correct, is that GRVD signifies the Greater Richmond-Vancouver Dump :eek:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
LOL Dump-Fest. ;)

Vancouver is gorgeous. I wouldn't mind heading out that way again in the future... need to visit family in Bellingham, WA anyway! :cool:

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
What was the result of the expression of interest request?

Is the 2012 fest going to Mi due to lack of additional interest, is that plan no longer active, or are there other locations in the running?

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
There are so many TDI's in western Canada it's ridiculous. It's like the factory just up and puked on day. It's too bad there's only a few of us willing to put in enough time to even call ourselves enthusiasts, let alone organizing an event such as TDI fest. The population favors the central and eastern parts of north America almost due to population alone. Vancouver would be at the top of my list no matter what, but how Manu of us would be willing to travel from say New York state to get there?

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
Have not heard anything from Fred yet.. Perhaps next year with a little more organization prior to the fest I could make this a reality. It might also help if I attended a fest alas I have missed the last two. There are a lot of tdi's in the gvrd however I don't know if its the Vancouver lifestyle but it seems difficult to get us all together. Lug nut thanks for pointing out my mistake. Its supposed to be Greater Vancouver Regional District. :p
I think in regards to the fest the event would have to be taken place at one of the satellite city's of Van with visits to the Vancouver area...However I need a couple locals to step up to help me organize this if its going to be a real contender.

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
I'm not sure if it's possible to help from Calgary but I will definitely do what I can. My family lives in Deep Cove and on the island and I used to have connections with hotels, one of which being the hyatt. If Vancouver gets considered I will volunteer my ass of!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I'm not sure if it's possible to help from Calgary but I will definitely do what I can. My family lives in Deep Cove and on the island and I used to have connections with hotels, one of which being the hyatt. If Vancouver gets considered I will volunteer my ass of!
I am very fond of Hyatt hotels. They hosted the 2009 event and we were very pleased.

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
Yes, the Hyatt in my opinion is one of the best set up management systems of any hotel I've worked at. They are just organized and have a very strict hiring criteria that weeds out the people who are just looking for a job. To keep they're 4-5 star status at relatively good rates they have to.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Sorry guys, I've been out of town for the last week and with fest wrap-up I didn't get a chance to followup with each of you. I'll be sending those who expressed interest in leading a proposal a quick PM today to get an idea of the specific situations and offer advice on putting together a proposal. As a rough guide, a full proposal will need to be completed by October 28th, 2011.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Vancouver would be at the top of my list no matter what, but how many of us would be willing to travel from say New York state to get there?
That would be a treat! Coming only from NY, instead of from home, would save me 3 to 9 hours depending on the starting point in NY.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Gingerman is awesome, but organizing a track event at Fest is a difficult proposition.