www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You




Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 7th, 2010, 17:02   #46
TDI_Coast2Coast
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lehighton, PA
Fuel Economy: TBA
Default

I have a 10 SW w/ 36k on it and that light mocks me on and off randomly with tires @ 36psi (as per door sticker). Sometimes it goes right off, sometimes it says Low Tire Pressure...Depends on how it's feeling that day. Tires are always spot on(I check them often).

I have had it in dealer for 10k/20k/30k service and have mentioned this problem each time. I even had video of the light coming on and going off...Vag com has an intermittent fault when I scan it. Of course they can find no problems(which is BS, vag-com showed fault after I picked it up each time..I have never cleared it either). "Bring it back when the light is on..." is their line. If only it would stay on.

I mentioned to dealer that this is a known problem and there should be update to fix it. According to them, the vin did not show it needed it and there was no light on so they couldn't do anything. They wouldn't even scan the car. This happened each time I brought it in. Over inflating the tires was their fix(thanks for the cupped tires ).

At last service the service rep told me that Volkswagon said to over inflate the tires. I suggested that this was not a fix, but rather a duct tape approach...They didn't seem to take that suggestion well.

If the car isn't in flames when you drive it in, they say it's all good....Useless service so far.

It's pretty stupid too, it's the only real complaint I've had in 36k, other than alignment(thanks NY potholes ). But thanks to VW, I now have 2 complaints.

I know I can fix it myself with vag-com, but it's kind of a matter of principal. I pay for a new car, I want it to work like new until the warranty is up. Isn't that that what a warranty is? A guarantee that the item will perform for x amount of time without failing? Guess asking for what you paid for is asking a bit too much these days...
__________________

- 2010 Jetta SW 6 speed manual / DG SS kit -- Escort 9500ci - Vag-Com(hex+can) -
Snow Methanol Injection - Malone Stage 2

Last edited by TDI_Coast2Coast; October 7th, 2010 at 17:09.
TDI_Coast2Coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 05:14   #47
vschaos
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ocean Springs, MS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI_Coast2Coast View Post
I have a 10 SW w/ 36k on it and that light mocks me on and off randomly with tires @ 36psi (as per door sticker). Sometimes it goes right off, sometimes it says Low Tire Pressure...Depends on how it's feeling that day. Tires are always spot on(I check them often).

I have had it in dealer for 10k/20k/30k service and have mentioned this problem each time. I even had video of the light coming on and going off...Vag com has an intermittent fault when I scan it. Of course they can find no problems(which is BS, vag-com showed fault after I picked it up each time..I have never cleared it either). "Bring it back when the light is on..." is their line. If only it would stay on.

I mentioned to dealer that this is a known problem and there should be update to fix it. According to them, the vin did not show it needed it and there was no light on so they couldn't do anything. They wouldn't even scan the car. This happened each time I brought it in. Over inflating the tires was their fix(thanks for the cupped tires ).

At last service the service rep told me that Volkswagon said to over inflate the tires. I suggested that this was not a fix, but rather a duct tape approach...They didn't seem to take that suggestion well.

If the car isn't in flames when you drive it in, they say it's all good....Useless service so far.

It's pretty stupid too, it's the only real complaint I've had in 36k, other than alignment(thanks NY potholes ). But thanks to VW, I now have 2 complaints.

I know I can fix it myself with vag-com, but it's kind of a matter of principal. I pay for a new car, I want it to work like new until the warranty is up. Isn't that that what a warranty is? A guarantee that the item will perform for x amount of time without failing? Guess asking for what you paid for is asking a bit too much these days...
Sucks man I went back to dealer yesterday and they said "we took your advice and searched for this issue and found a fix". I am glad they looked for the fix after my recommendation. So anyhow I left it at the dealer due to them saying they are verifying with vw that the equipment they have can do the update to my car.
__________________

vschaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 11:21   #48
BrianinNH
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NH
Fuel Economy: 38.9 with 60% city mileage
Default

For what it is worth.. I have a 2010 Jetta Sportswagen. Low tire pressure light came on. Checked tire pressure and it was off (7 1/2 PSI Dif. causes light to go on) - filled to rec. 35 PSI. Started car again and light was still on - rats!!!! Read more in manuel and found you need to drive car at min. 20MPH to have computer read tire pressure. Drove as reccomended and low an behold light turned off.

Hope this helps
BrianinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 10:41   #49
Vahoagie
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ashburn Va
Default

I am not sure that this has been mentioned in previous threads since I read page 1 and the last page to see if anything has been rectified. I haven't purchased my JSW yet so I cant look and check this suggestion out. In another forum I read where the spare tire had a sensor in it and if it had low pressure it would cause the light to illuminate. Just a thought!
Hoagie
Vahoagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 13:12   #50
Carphuntin_god
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: On the Dark Side
Default

do the Jettas and Golfs use a system where the tires have to be "married" to the system every time they are moved from position to position, or say when snows are swapped for summer? Or, once a wheel has been introduced to the system, it can be add or removed or moved as necessary?
Carphuntin_god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 14:21   #51
Vahoagie
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ashburn Va
Default

Anyone check for tpms in their spare yet?
Vahoagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 20:05   #52
forester77
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas
Default

Finally took my car in, work order state they did VW Recall 97T2 to fix the TPMS light. They have to order a new frame to fix the sunroof. Also did recall #2414 which only says its an ECM update as per bulletin.
__________________
forester77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 12:25   #53
Palladin
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Default

This may be of little help to owners of earlier model Golfs with TPMS, but on my 2011 there is a reset button in the glove box that enables you to recalibrate the TPMS for higher or lower tire pressures based on your preference. Also, according to the owners manual, the sytem does not read tire pressure but rather calculates a pressure difference based on the rolling diameter of the tire. Therefore the spare won't set off the low tire warning unless and or until it hits the ground.
Palladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 05:06   #54
vschaos
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ocean Springs, MS
Default

Hmm interesting. My ligh came on again due to the temp changing so much here and tire pressure changing. So yesterday went and had tires filled with nitrogen to 38psi in each tire. Yet light is still on and I have driven over 20 miles
__________________

vschaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 05:41   #55
DHall
Member
 
DHall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Connecticut
Default

I have been fighting the TPMS light for 14,000 miles. It started just before 20,000 miles flashing the code for a communication failure, not low tire pressure. It would do this intermittently and never while at the dealer. What happens is the TPMS light will flash for approximately 1 minute then stay on steady. According the the manual, this indicated a comm fault. This is what I told the dealer at the 20,000 mile oil change. When I got the car back i read that they did a reprogram of the TPMS system. The light was back on the next day. Since the first visit, the car went back four times just for this issue. The second time I went to pick it up, the slip stated that they checked the tire pressure and all was ok, no light showing. I can do that! Uggghhhh! I got the speech that no light on and no codes = no service. Yup, the light came on as I drove home. I made another appointment and when I got it back this time, even though they never witnessed the light they replaced a wheel sensor that they say they wanded and it wasn't talking. The light stayed off for less than a day. At visit four I was armed with the paragraph in the owners manual that stated what the car was trying to tell us, and a cell phone video of the light actually blinking. They drove it around the block, couldn't duplicate the issue and parked it. I came and picked it up, frustrated with them and decided to go somewhere else. On the way home the light came on, I turned around and headed right back to the dealership. They plugged in the computer and found another one of the sensors not communicating. Another appointment, another loaner car and this time they replaced another sensor. All has been well for a week which equals about 700 miles for me. Going through this, I realize that the way VW works is that if the computer doesn't say so, they aren't allowed to fix it. First thing I would've done with a com fault is replace the wheel sensors and go from there. Next time this happens I will just buy a VAG-Com and turn it off.
__________________
2010 Jetta TDI 6 speed manual
2007 Mini Cooper S 6 Speed
2007 Harley Davidson FLHTCU


DHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 18:31   #56
vschaos
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ocean Springs, MS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHall View Post
I have been fighting the TPMS light for 14,000 miles. It started just before 20,000 miles flashing the code for a communication failure, not low tire pressure. It would do this intermittently and never while at the dealer. What happens is the TPMS light will flash for approximately 1 minute then stay on steady. According the the manual, this indicated a comm fault. This is what I told the dealer at the 20,000 mile oil change. When I got the car back i read that they did a reprogram of the TPMS system. The light was back on the next day. Since the first visit, the car went back four times just for this issue. The second time I went to pick it up, the slip stated that they checked the tire pressure and all was ok, no light showing. I can do that! Uggghhhh! I got the speech that no light on and no codes = no service. Yup, the light came on as I drove home. I made another appointment and when I got it back this time, even though they never witnessed the light they replaced a wheel sensor that they say they wanded and it wasn't talking. The light stayed off for less than a day. At visit four I was armed with the paragraph in the owners manual that stated what the car was trying to tell us, and a cell phone video of the light actually blinking. They drove it around the block, couldn't duplicate the issue and parked it. I came and picked it up, frustrated with them and decided to go somewhere else. On the way home the light came on, I turned around and headed right back to the dealership. They plugged in the computer and found another one of the sensors not communicating. Another appointment, another loaner car and this time they replaced another sensor. All has been well for a week which equals about 700 miles for me. Going through this, I realize that the way VW works is that if the computer doesn't say so, they aren't allowed to fix it. First thing I would've done with a com fault is replace the wheel sensors and go from there. Next time this happens I will just buy a VAG-Com and turn it off.
Mine is still on...think I am going to buy a vag-com and turn it off along with doing some other things. Any idea who selling for cheapest or all the same?
__________________

vschaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 01:21   #57
Black Dung Beetle
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kirkland, Washington
Fuel Economy: 39-46
Default

This was the first problem I had with my 2010 Golf. The dealer reset it, then said there was a bad "Module". Supposedly, the issue was fixed in the 2011 by using a different system. Check your valve stems. If they are medal it is the old type, if they are the old fashion rubber it's the new system. In other words the old system sucked!
__________________
2011 White Golf 4D TDI
Black Dung Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 07:51   #58
numl0ck
Veteran Member
 
numl0ck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern CT
Fuel Economy: 40
Default

I heard in the 2011 cars they use the ABS/ESP system and it measures the rolling resistance of the tire to determine if the tire is low, as opposed to the "wireless" system in the 2009/10s.
__________________
2010 Golf TDI, Black 4 Door, 6M, DG Sigma 6, Golf Ball Shift Knob, Panzer skid plate, Custom Garage Door Opener. I have a VAG-COM and am willing to share.
numl0ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 06:18   #59
vschaos
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ocean Springs, MS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dung Beetle View Post
This was the first problem I had with my 2010 Golf. The dealer reset it, then said there was a bad "Module". Supposedly, the issue was fixed in the 2011 by using a different system. Check your valve stems. If they are medal it is the old type, if they are the old fashion rubber it's the new system. In other words the old system sucked!
Yea mine is the old metal I suppose. Will they replace with the old style rubber if I bring it in? I am guessing probably not. I would be better off just disabling?
__________________

vschaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 14:51   #60
shiraz627
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CT
Default

My TPMS light was on for about a week after I had upped the pressures to 38psi or at least thought I did. Any way I went out today and bought a decent gauge(AccuGauge S60X $6.99@Sears Auto) and found two of my tires were at 30psi so I bumped them both up to 38psi and the fault cleared instantaneously. I will monitor the situation.

2010 JSW, DSG, 14k on the clock

Gary
__________________
2010 JSW TDI DSG
shiraz627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.17330 seconds with 10 queries
[Output: 129.56 Kb. compressed to 108.62 Kb. by saving 20.93 Kb. (16.16%)]