clutch install is there anything i need to know

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
ive heard this is a big job so im not tackling it myself but giving it to my local garage but im fitting the southbend stage 3 and wondered if there's any tips on fitting these or should a average garage be able to fit these kits without any trouble, just ive been modifying cars for a while and very little is ever straight forward for me:eek:

Deevo_3000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
If you you're replacing the rear main seal, read up on it and be careful. Or just don't replace it in the first place...

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
the clutch im using is the southbend stage 3 which arrived this morning i'll check the flywheel but it looks like a quality kit and im sure it will have a flywheel mark as for the rear main oil seal no ithink i'll tackle that with a if it aint broke dont fix kinda attitude:)

Benjamin

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Tdi Jetta Mine, 2008 Jeep GC CRD, 2005 Passat TDi
Deevo_3000 said:
If you you're replacing the rear main seal, read up on it and be careful. Or just don't replace it in the first place...
Yeah, don't want to remember that one.....:eek:

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Cool, I was going to recommend that you only do it once. It looks like you've picked a proper clutch for that job then. Enjoy.

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
oh yes it arrived this morning looks a very quality peice of kit maybe im just refering to the nice packaging and the shiny red clutch cover :D
but i did look at the disc plate and you can cleary see the difference in the materail over stock just hope the 17lb flywheel that came with it is quiet enough i tried to pull up some searches on people who have used the sbc flywheel in the kits but didnt find any info, most poeple have either stock 21lb or really light 14lb ones but im sure it will be fine , just now i have this clutch seems a shame to waste the potential and the descion to stay with stock turbo might have changed:rolleyes:

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Hi m8..............make sure that you also use new bolts when replacing the flywheel with the new unit......were some supplied with the new flywheel/kit etc.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Make sure that even if the flywheel has a timing mark on it that you can see it when it's installed. Mine has a timing mark on it, but you can't see it when it's installed in the car so it causes a lot of extra work when doing any kind of timing work (belt, injection pump, cam, etc).

Transfer the mark all the way to the outer edges of the flywheel so you're sure that you can see it when it's installed.

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
i will let you know how it feels
as for the previous question my sbc flywheel has no timing marks on it or is that normal as most flywheels are obviously machined first

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
cog said:
the clutch im using is the southbend stage 3 which arrived this morning i'll check the flywheel but it looks like a quality kit and im sure it will have a flywheel mark as for the rear main oil seal no ithink i'll tackle that with a if it aint broke dont fix kinda attitude:)
If its marked, place the old flywheel on the new one, on a bench, and make sure the timing marks are in the same place!

--Nate

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
these sbc kits are just straight swaps arnt they ive been quoted 180 uk pounds for labour on replacing the clutch i know this is cheap as he always does me a little cheaper but is there anything a ordinary back street garage would strugle with putting this kit in or is it just the time it takes, just over here on the uk forums one guy is getting charged 1100 uk pounds to get his clutch fitted it is by a tuner which would charge more but even so it sounds excesive is there something im not considering :confused:

BioChoppers

Vendor
TDI
2003 jetta 5spd wagon
hevster1 said:
Add a shift fork. Sometimes they bend.
Most definitely good advise.

cog said:
as for the previous question my sbc flywheel has no timing marks on it or is that normal as most flywheels are obviously machined first
The 17lb FW south bend uses are made in China... believe it, or not...:)

Last edited:

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
The 17lb FW south bend uses are made in China... believe it, or not...:)[/quote]

er..thanks thats really helpful
i prefer or not...
i dont really care if its made in timbooktwo aslong as it can do the job with minimum rattle thats all
im confident that sbc,s gear is tried and tested and of high quality just wanted some advice on fitting especially the timming marks as i wont be able to copy the timing marks on a flat bench with my old one as its the dual mass 220mm not 228 so it wont exactly line up

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Where did you get the China info? What's the motive behind this statement?

As cog stated.....

BioChoppers

Vendor
TDI
2003 jetta 5spd wagon
jasonTDI said:
Where did you get the China info? What's the motive behind this statement?
I called South Bend & asked them about it.

My motive was to point out that many of the cast FW's without timing marks are frustrating & this is usually a tall tale sign they are made in China as well...

Last edited: