Audi Cross Coupe Quattro Concept: 2.0 Common Rail TDI Is Here (204hp/295 lb-ft)

chewy

Veteran Member
TDI
None
The Audi Cross Coupe Quattro Concept that debuted at the Shanghai Motor Show features Audi's newest TDI. I assume this is the top version of the new Jetta TDI diesel engine. In the Audi it makes 204 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque. The common rail unit also uses only 5.9 liters of diesel per 100 km in the European rating (think 40 mpg average American) The current A3 Sportback with the 170 hp TDI has the exact same rating. And this is for a slightly smaller vehicle without Quattro. Recent reports indicate that Audi won't bring the 4 cylinder TDI to the states, only the V6 TDI becuase it can fit that engine in just about everything but the A3. The 4 cylinder would only work in the A3/A4. But this does mean that the new common rail TDI in the Jetta should be great with excellent fuel economy (this same engine but with 140 hp)

http://www.autospies.com/news/photo.aspx?photoId=19707&galleryId=976

The complete press release and photos of the actual concept here.

Last edited:

Gettin50MPGs

Veteran Member
chewy said:
The Audi Cross Coupe Quattro Concept that debuted at the Shanghai Motor Show features Audi's newest TDI. I assume this is the top version of the new Jetta TDI diesel engine. In the Audi it makes 204 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque. The common rail unit also uses only 5.9 liters of diesel per 100 km in the European rating (think 40 mpg average American) The current A3 Sportback with the 170 hp TDI has the exact same rating. And this is for a slightly smaller vehicle without Quattro. Recent reports indicate that Audi won't bring the 4 cylinder TDI to the states. But this does mean that the new common rail TDI in the Jetta should be great with excellent fuel economy.

http://www.autospies.com/news/photo.aspx?photoId=19707&galleryId=976

The complete press release and photos of the actual concept here.
Anyone know what VAG is thinking on this one? A 300 ft/lb torque cross over that does 40mpgs would sell here even if it would be in small numbers....VAG kills me with some of thier thinking

Us gets the Phaeton but no this vehicle??!?!/

hmmm

TDI
2003 Golf
Same old, Same old

This vehicle is perfect. Great fuel economy, good looking and good power...

Of course we will not get it in north america

Jason

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, once again we get the shaft.... :rolleyes:

I also wonder what VAG and VOA are thinking some of the time. Sheesh!

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
We on this forum could appreciate a vehicle like that. But the American population at large doesn't yet. I don't blame VW/Audi. The cost to support a new engine option is high. With one or two engine options, they only have to supply a few combinations of engine and option packages in different colors. Adding another engine with its combination of body colors and options adds a lot to the supply management costs for an overseas vehicle, and it's especially unjustifiable for Audi, who sells so few vehicles as it is. Then there's the cost of adding all those engine parts to the parts supply chain, tech training, etc. It doesn't surprise me that Audi doesn't find that effort to be justifiable given how few diesel Audis they'd sell here. Leave diesels to the VW side of the family.

Plus, most people who buy an Audi have enough cash that they're not as concerned about the fuel economy.

I'm sure Audi would be more than willing to sell their diesels here, but they need a decent market to sell to, first.

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
frugality said:
Leave diesels to the VW side of the family.

I'm okay with that, as long as the VW diesels available in the US are closer to the hi-perf engines the euro market has had for years.

Ramsey

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta in Graphite Blue
I really don't think of a gas engine as being high power/high tech unless they get at least 100hp/liter, and these guys are doing it in a diesel. I want one. if I could get my BEW PD to 190 hp I would be worried about the rest of the car being unable to take the power, let alone the torque, and it would torquesteer like crazy. This car would be amazing

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Ramsey said:
I really don't think of a gas engine as being high power/high tech unless they get at least 100hp/liter, and these guys are doing it in a diesel. I want one. if I could get my BEW PD to 190 hp I would be worried about the rest of the car being unable to take the power, let alone the torque, and it would torquesteer like crazy. This car would be amazing
Ramsey, you realize they already have that sort of thing? Ever driven the R32? It was 240hp, and over 200 lbs of torque. The GTI TDI 150 had stock 150hp and well over 200 lbs of torque. Both were available in the A4 chassis.

Keep in mind that hp and tq in terms of text on a page really mean very little. It is the "area under the curve" that counts. That's why the 150hp 1.8t in a 3200 lb. Golf feels quite lively, while the 150hp 2.0L DOHC in the early 2800 lb. Neon felt "just adequate" for a performance optioned car. And the 180hp 1.8t feels like a guided missle! :eek: And the 160hp Civic Si VTEC-E feels like an angry chainsaw even moving the 2400 lb. Honda.

So 150hp in a 1.9L PD TDI has a lot more real-world oomph than you'd think. In fact, I think the fastest accelerating GTI in history was (is) equipped with a diesel....just, once again, not available here. :mad:

Mike_Van

Veteran Member
TDI
(SOLD) 2010 Golf, 2 door
I like it a lot. Not getting my hopes up to see it here in the U.S., though.
For the time being, I couldn't be more pleased with my used (stock ALH engine) Golf.

Thermo1223

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta 5M-'04 JW A5
Ramsey said:
Hp/l is really a tired argument.

I car doesn't need to make 200 Hp like the GTI to be cool.

I take an engine that made 150Hp but made zero noise doing so or spit water out the tailpipe & nothing else.

Ramsey

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta in Graphite Blue
I said high performance/high tech. Look at the twincharger, they are doing amazing things with that little 1.4 liter (177 hp, I think 140 lbft tq), and getting astonishing economy, or 1 liter bikes pumping 150 hp (really low torque though). I love those machines, but my ideal car would be a bluemotion passat wagon.

I think that performance can come in small packages (anyone can get power with a 7.0l V8, even chevy) and with improved economy. I would love an 85hp 600cc car that posts 80mpg (but I am 2m tall and weigh 110kg, so I won't likely fit).

Power, torque, and frugality are not mutually exclusive. Engineers are pretty smart cats. (Chemical engineer here :) )

I hope to get near 140 hp once the warranty is up, shouldn't be too hard judging by what I have read in the forums.

RocketTDI

TDI
2009 JSW, DSG, Reflex Silver, Anthrocitr
Here's some additional information: http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cf...udi/audi-cross-coupe-quattro-concept-revealed

he compact performance SUV

The silhouette is typical Audi; the design of the study, painted in Liquid Silver, is highly reminiscent of the sporty models produced by the Ingolstadt brand. The proportions and the large 20" wheels point clearly towards the offroad potential of the Cross Coupé quattro. A new element is the fabric folding roof, which, when it is open, gives optimum levels of headroom and fresh air. The hood is opened and closed electrically.
The transversely installed four-cylinder inline TDI engine with common-rail fuel injection and piezo injectors is a completely new development. With power output of 204 bhp and 400 Nm of torque, it gives the vehicle a sporty performance and a surprising degree of efficiency. On average the ultra-modern 2.0 TDI needs just 5.9 litres of diesel per 100 km. The diesel particulate filter and Bluetec system reduce soot and nitric oxide emissions effectively. Even today, the Audi Cross Coupé quattro satisfies the emissions standards of the future.

The quattro permanent four-wheel drive system is a matter of course on an Audi with offroad potential. A Haldex clutch ensures that traction is precisely distributed according to the situation. The sporty Audi S tronic dual-clutch gearbox executes gearshifts in a matter of milliseconds.

The running gear, featuring a McPherson-strut front axle and a four-link rear axle is perfect for sporty and agile handling that retains a high degree of stability and makes cornering distinctly fun. As an additional quality, the driving comfort of the running gear impresses on all types of road and in rough terrain, meeting even the standards expected of a vehicle in a higher class. Ceramic brake discs promise excellent, non-fading deceleration. 20" wheels give the Cross Coupé quattro the ground clearance required.

Numerous electronic systems support the driver. The Audi drive select system makes it possible to preselect three highly individual configurations for the engine, gearbox, steering and adaptive shock absorbers. The result: a car that can be enjoyed in three completely different ways.

Besides the standard "dynamic" drive select mode and the "sport" setting, the Audi Cross Coupé also has the "efficiency" driving program. Here, the engine map and the shift points are modified to support a particularly economical driving style. In addition, the system deactivates components that are particularly energy-hungry, for example the air-conditioning compressor.

Another innovation is the MMI control panel, which is operated by a touch pad. The monitor of the system employs, for the first time, dual-view technology. The system can produce different images for the driver and front-seat passenger. These images are only visible when viewed from a specific angle. This allows the driver to read data from the on-board computer while the front passenger watches a TV programme, listening to the sound through headphones.

The sound system with the prominent extending tweeters sets a new infotainment standard in the class. The ambient lighting with numerous light sources gives the interior a stylish ambience, even at night.

Lot's of pictures as well

donfromnaples

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 New Beetle Blue and 2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagon
diesels, diesels and more diesels

Audi, Mercedes, VW need to continue offering more and more diesel option in the U.S. because Volvo, Honda, Ford, GM, and Toyota are all soon offering some in the U.S. Competition will get steep and VW could really corner the market if they jump in earlier than the competitors, especially in regard to hybrid diesels (Volvo C30 will arrive in the U.S. in 2009).

Gettin50MPGs

Veteran Member
I do understand US auto makers not wanting to see these kind of vehicles in this country though. There's a lot of money to be made off gasoline engines and it seems like the profit margine is higher with gasoline engines.

boffin

I really do not like the new Audi corporate grill. Especially on the SUV, it looks like a baleen whale feeding on krill.

Gettin50MPGs

Veteran Member
Scooby Doo said:
one please....

if it cost 30k or less i will buy one. i just hope it lasts 400k miles
Does anyone know the process of importing a car into the US?

I'm so tired of looking at Europeans gettin all the good stuff!!

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
I've thought of that also, but figure the regulatory hurdles and other assorted BS would make it a nightmare. The EPA compliance alone would make it a non-starter. I recall reading 25 years ago about grey market imports - usually Italian exotics - being brought to the US and federalized with emissions equipment and 5mph bumpers. Not cheap. I doubt it makes sense to do that to a 20-25k VW.

Gettin50MPGs

Veteran Member
dieselyeti said:
I've thought of that also, but figure the regulatory hurdles and other assorted BS would make it a nightmare. The EPA compliance alone would make it a non-starter. I recall reading 25 years ago about grey market imports - usually Italian exotics - being brought to the US and federalized with emissions equipment and 5mph bumpers. Not cheap. I doubt it makes sense to do that to a 20-25k VW.
I would pay a lot more for this vehicle here so that's why I would want one. I figured even if it was 15,000 extra to get a 40mpg SUV that didn't look like a Tonka toy would be better than the gas hogs we have now.

I did read about the regulatory hurdles for importing and it all looked like it was a total of 6000 to have them check the car out and give it a valid VIN.

Thanx in advance from anyone with imput on this

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Gettin50MPGs: You're going to pay more than 11 times the cost of one in Europe.

11 times is just in the purchase price of the vehicles you bring in, because you're going to crash 10 of them. Then, you get to retrofit everything DOT (which could cost thousands of dollars) and get the engine to meet EPA standards (which, again, could cost thousands of dollars.)

Let's say it costs $50,000 new in Europe. (Not too far-fetched.) You're talking $550,000 just in purchasing the cars. Let's say the crash testing costs $5,000 per vehicle... so now you're at $600,000. And, let's say that the DOT and emissions compliance are $5,000 each (which is low.) $610,000.

Last I checked, $595,000 (comparing to a $15,000 Kia Sportage) buys a LOT of gas.

djbobo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 5-speed
Quote.
so now you're at $600,000

So what I would do is get 25 or so people intrested in these cars to front the cost of getting the 1st one of them US certified - then start a import business and sell a 100 or so a year and make millions for you and the first 25 investers. Then,while were at it, we can bring in the Audi v12 q7 which should be easier since it it allready meets the 2010 Euro 5 emissions and is allready in the US.

If I knew it was only $600,000 that would be awsome!!

bhtooefr

TDI
None
True, the Q7, you won't have to crash test any.

It then becomes a question of what's easier - swap the V12 drivetrain into an existing Q7, or bring a Q7 V12 over and convert it to DOT specs.

djbobo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 5-speed
I'd like to reasearch what the difference would be in a 2010 euro5 emissions to the current (or even 2006) 45 state are.
If one could procure enough v-12s, certify them to 45 state levels (for 6000+lb vehicle) and specialize in upgrading from the v-6s to make a positive cash flow.........hmmmmm

Doug

bhtooefr

TDI
None
FWIW, for 2008, it won't be 45 state, it'll be 39 state. :eek:

Anyway, what surprises me is... when BMW broke the 100 hp/L barrier with their 2.0L diesel with the same performance specs... (204 hp, 295 ft-lbs) they did it with dual sequential turbos.

AFAICT, Audi did it with one. Oh, and they're at least meeting 39 state, if not 50 state. I don't think BMW is. (Note from pics of this engine that it's badged TDI BLUETEC, though.)

Why isn't this a bigger deal than just a passing mention, except places like this? Sure, BMW was first, but...

Kubla84

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi Q5
I think that performance can come in small packages (anyone can get power with a 7.0l V8, even chevy) and with improved economy. I would love an 85hp 600cc car that posts 80mpg (but I am 2m tall and weigh 110kg, so I won't likely fit).
that would be 6'6" and 240 right?