import to Canada?

camshaft

TDI
'09 Jetta
The SEL Premium is priced about $5500 higher in Canada than USA. My question, will USA dealers sell a new Passat to a Canadian citizen for export to Canada?

The reason I ask is that I exported a used US Honda to Canada & Honda would not supply me with a recall clearance letter. Their reason, the US Honda is considered "grey market" in Canada. The price difference on the Ridgeline was $9000, obviously Honda USA is protecting the Canadian dealers with disregard for NAFTA.

Zedbra

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
^ some car brands discourage the sale of vehicles directly for Canadian export. Sometimes, it id the local dealership that makes the choice - but finding a vehicle that you can easily cross-border warranty is becoming more difficult. Of course, if you could find one that has been sold and insured in the US for 6 months, there is no problem.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Grey market simply means market other than intended. If you're creative it could be titled in the states, then sold for $1 after all warranties expire. I question the value of such effort, but think of tax savings alone... If titled in Michigan, tax is ~6% vs. VAT, HST, etc.

camshaft

TDI
'09 Jetta
To answer my question, I visited a dealer & yes they will sell to Canadians as long as you can provide a US address. Nice to have an address in a state that doesn't collect state tax. Once the vehicle is titled it can be exported. Of course this is MHO.

Pleiades

TDI
None
Canadian prices

I just finished a test drive and I must admit to being very impressed. I do however object to the huge price difference between the US and Canada. VW of Canada must be made aware that these differences are unacceptable.
Perhaps a formal boycott is in order to get our opinion across.

dwfdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf & 2012 Golf wagon, 1998 GMC 6.5 with 310,000km
Wierd as I winter in USA and from time to time have to get some warranty work done on my Canadian bought Golf I have no problem getting it done under warranty. I guess as long as I'm not living here permanent or vica versa. Someone told me that if I buy one in the USA and licence it here for the winter then drive it back to Canada and import it then VW will cover the warranty. Still trying to find out if this is true.

dwfdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf & 2012 Golf wagon, 1998 GMC 6.5 with 310,000km
Well the tides have turned now the US dollar costs about $1.40 Canadian or $0.71 US it is advantageous for Americans to buy their cars in Canada with a 40% discount and then import them to USA.

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
Well the tides have turned now the US dollar costs about $1.40 Canadian or $0.71 US it is advantageous for Americans to buy their cars in Canada with a 40% discount and then import them to USA.
Ironic but true, Americans are importing American made cars at a discount, when compared to locally purchased, reminds me of buying Canadian beer in the US cheaper than in Canada...