will AHF/ASV 110hp camshaft fit in ALH/90hp

seninho

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
my question is, will a euro 110hp AHF/ASV camshaft fit in a ALH 90hp cylinder head? also is it any bigger, will i see any hp and tq. increases?

BrooklynSkot

TDI
199.5 Black Jetta TDI" 550 872kms "
I'm putting one in this week.......in a AHU......wait sorry you have a ALH!
someone might know if thats the same size...

turbo johan

Veteran Member
Out of my head the 1.6 cam less lift than alh, and is missing cutting for the vacuumpump at the end of the cam.

Johan

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Mk4 or later, or Mk3 or earlier? (Engine code ALH suggests Mk4. I don't know whether AHF or ASV are Mk3 or Mk4.)

Mk3 and earlier engines have a slot in the end of the camshaft for the SOLE purpose of locking it in place, it's not used for driving any accessories. Mk4 and later engines use a corresponding - but differently dimensioned! - slot for operating the vacuum pump (and on PD's for operating the tandem fuel pump). You can't use a Mk3-style camshaft in a Mk4-style engine because of this.

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
All you need to do is make the slot few mm wider. It will last some time but the vacume pumps notch can dig in to the slot making it look somewhat like mine:

AHU cam used in AGR engine(same as ALH). IF you welded some more material to the end of the cam it would last alot longer.

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
Absolutely the same. Mine just was a regrind and used AHU cam as a base. Your pretty much out of OEM options that are worth the hassle. Some gasser cams might get you much more but they might or might not work. And the fittment wouldnt be easy at all. Your best bet is to get your stock cam regrind with 1mm more on both lobes and with 20degrees more duration on the exhaust. My cam was like that and you can see the difference it made. In an highly modded car but the gains would be there with lower level of tuning nonetheless.
Stock:

And the regrind: