MB CRD 3.0L engine in Cherokee

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
MB on its diesels has the monitoring system to tell when an oil change is necessary.

Chrysler using the same 229.51 spec oil in the 3.0L CRD on the Jeep Grand Cherokee calls for oil changes every 3,000 miles.

Does anyone with a MB CRD know how many miles they go before they get the message to change the oil? This 3,000 mile requirement seems to be just laziness on Jeeps part to update the manual for the diesel.

boxcab

TDI
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD
TomB said:
Chrysler using the same 229.51 spec oil in the 3.0L CRD on the Jeep Grand Cherokee calls for oil changes every 3,000 miles.
Tom,

The manual states 6,250 miles for schedule A and 12,500 miles for schedule B OCIs.

I just passed 6K, and as soon as I get a few more bits and pieces, I'll do the first change and install a bypass filter setup. I've got a case of M1 5W-30 ESP and a dozen filters (two DC and ten Mann filters). I'll do one more UOA on this oil (so far holding up very well) then do a VOA on a sample of virgin ESP to confirm the baseline. Then I'll sample this fill at about 6K, 9K and 12.5K.

I love the way this thing is breaking in. The boost is getting stronger and the mpg is going up.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Box,

How you liking your Cherokee? Love mine.

I just pulled a sample for UOA and sending it off to Blackstones. I have 3000 on the oil now. I want to see the quality of the oil the stealership used.

I will probably change it out and move on the Elf and see how it does at various intervals.

DrWho,
Mileage has been 20 around town, 25 Highway over the Snoqualmie pass and 28 on the open flat land highways.

Box,

What are you seeing on MPG?

eli

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Cruze stickshift 2019 Terrain
drwho you might need to re-educate yourself on what "unlawful" and "gouged" means, but that's just my opinion. my diesel vehicle has been parked for weeks so i probably shouldn't be allowed to post here at all! "i'm a bad man".

boxcab

TDI
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD
TomB said:
I just pulled a sample for UOA and sending it off to Blackstones. I have 3000 on the oil now. I want to see the quality of the oil the stealership used. What are you seeing on MPG?
I keep forgetting to send in the sample I took at 6,147 miles. I suspect the iron will be trending into the abnormal range with this initial mileage. Did you have an oil change already? It otherwise should be the factory fill. On a related note, I installed an Amsoil EaBP-110 bypass filter and custom mount, but a downpour precluded me from actually plumbing it into the system. If we can get a couple of days of clear weather and it coincides with a weekend off from work (yeah, and the planets align! :rolleyes:) I may attempt to hook it up.

Anywho, you asked about mileage. Short trip (commuting) is not less than 21 mpg, usually 22 mpg and last time it was 23 mpg. It was getting over 25 mpg on the highway a few thousand miles ago. I took it for a day trip over Stevens Pass to Quincy, south along the Columbia to highway 24, thence west through Moxee and Yakima then over Chinook Pass and back to the starting point, the Flying J in Fife. Same pump, 444.1 miles, 16.795 gallons. So just over 26 mpg. Not spectacular, but I experienced ferocious head-winds along the river and most of the way towards Moxee. Were it not for that, from what I was observing via the Scangauge II, I should have topped 27 mpg. :eek:

It's just getting stronger and stronger. Peak boost is still increasing, though not as fast as before. I set the cruise control for 50 mph while climbing east over Stevens Pass, and the Scangauge was rock steady with an estimated 15.6 mpg the whole climb. Never dropped out of overdrive. Honestly, as I'm sure you've noticed, these things flatten any hill -- and altitude has no effect, either. My old gasser Jeep would feel winded after Skykomish! :(

Descending the west side of Chinook Pass, it was 29 degrees, but not snowing, even though there was a lot of compact snow and ice and fog. Tremendous engine braking, and it didn't just handle like it was on rails, it was like it was on a cog railway! One thing is for sure, diesels only produce heat from work. Usually it dips to 186 degrees under no-load conditions (from a typical 188 - 190 degree running temp), but that prolonged period of engine braking with the inlet air temperature reading 29 - 30 degrees, dropped it to 182 degrees.

Maybe I'll take some time off work next spring for a road trip to Oregon, Nevada, Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska, South Dakota, Montana and Idaho. Then we'll see.

Further note: It loves B5! Seriously, it just runs smoother and "happier" on the stuff. I've been running straight D2 the last couple of tanks, and it just feels kinda off. :cool:

eli

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Cruze stickshift 2019 Terrain
i hear ya drwho. if costs of operating diesel vehicles exceeds that for gasoline vehicles i will think twice about preferring diesel vehicles too... but with regard to performance(torque) & range i prefer diesel even at the same cost-per-mile as for gasoline.
by the way, please say hi to your spokesmodel/assistant chick from me.