Timing Belt change in Chapel Hill, NC

Kawayanan

TDI
2000 Jetta (Silver)
First of all, I wanted to thank everyone here at TDIClub. I have mostly lurked here for a while now, and its been very helpful. The howto's and other info on these forum have helped me through CEL's, glow plug problems, an intake and EGR cleaning, and a bad MAF. For a grad student on a tight budget, you've been an invaluble source of information and help.

I have a 2000 TDI Jetta, and have gotten to the point that I need to do a timing belt change (past the point actually). I have looked through the howto and it looks like a good bit of work. I've done a reasonable amount of work on cars, but am not completely sure I should try this. It seems like it might be a bit much for me alone in my condo's parking lot. Add to that that there are $230+ worth of special tools needed (and a VAG-COM) and it seem a little more out of my reach.

I looked on the trusted mechanic list, and there is only one located anywhere near me (
Import Auto Werks, Raleigh, NC 27609). From my experiences with the local dealership, there is now way I will take it there. I assume there are members around my area who have had timing belts replaced. Where did you go, or did you do it yourself? I definitely want it done right and wouldn't want to find out later that some parts were not replaced (tensioner, rollers, water pump, stretch bolts, etc). I can check with Import Auto Werks, but I would also like to have at least one additional shop to contact (or some good reviews from people who have had timing belts done there).

I also saw that you can rent the needed tools from metalman, and might consider that if the having a shop do the work is to expensive. If I want that route, it would be nice to know a local guru who might be willing to help if I got stuck (if they had the timing belt tools I could borrow, that would be even better). I am not sure how I could repay such a guru for their help, but I would be very thankful.

Thanks!
Sean

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Well, you can assume that a shop will not charge you less for the parts than you will spend from one of the online vendors here, and you can also assume that they'd add about 4.5 hours' labor on top...

So, even if you have to rent the tools from Metal Man, if you're able to get together with a more-or-less local TDI-Club veteran, you'll save money and best of all, know that the job was performed to spec...

Let's hope one of the more experienced local TDI-Club members will chime in soon... (Check the Vag-Com list to see if anyone pops up...)

All the best,

Yuri.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Chris (Import Autowerks) will be doing my timing belt in about 5000 miles. He knows about the 2003 upgrade parts that will fit on the older TDIs. I'm not too sure I'd trust Southern States to do this either.... Leith in Cary might be OK.

Kawayanan

TDI
2000 Jetta (Silver)
Just to have a point to start from for thinking about having it done vs doing it myself, I called Import Autowerks. It sounds like they do the complete job (belt, tensioner, 2003 model rollers, water pump, etc.). They said it would be ~$800. Not sure what in that price is parts or labor. The complete "deluxe" kit seems to go for $325 range. It looks like metalman rents the tools for $55 plus shipping costs. There is definately a chunk of money that could be saved, I just would just have to feel comfortable doing it.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
So drive up and see me and save a couple of hundred $$. Just did a belt from Georgia yesterday.

You can also see if Turbinewhine in Asheville is able to help you.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As wonderful as Paramedick is, if you're into a road trip to get this done, Omar Sidak is in Concord... only 2 hours away...

Yuri.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
IM about 1hr 45 mins from you... and i have all the tools and done a few already.

Kawayanan

TDI
2000 Jetta (Silver)
Thank you paramedick for the offer. Google says you are a almost an 8 hour drive though. :p That would be quite a drive.

storx said:
IM about 1hr 45 mins from you... and i have all the tools and done a few already.
Thats probably doable and is a very nice offer. I may end up taking you up on it. :) I noticed that BleachedBora currently has timing belt kits for $300 shipped. I assume that the should be essentially the same as the kits from DieselGeek or TDIParts?

On a bad note - I just rechecked my manual and saw the service interval is 40,000 miles :eek: Scratch the being past due, I am way past due for a timing belt change. I could have sworn I read it was 60,000. I pulled the cover and took a look at the belt right after I got home tonight. I can't see any visible flaws, but it really need to be changed.

Sean

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is your car an automatic? Those are the ones with the 40,000 mile belt ratings... the manuals are at 60,000 until the 2002 model year... (Engine Serial Number ALH500001 and higher)...

Get it done... SOON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yuri.

(PS: Check out www.metalmanparts.com - his price may be lower... and he does have e-bay specials as well...)

Kawayanan

TDI
2000 Jetta (Silver)
ymz said:
Is your car an automatic? Those are the ones with the 40,000 mile belt ratings... the manuals are at 60,000 until the 2002 model year... (Engine Serial Number ALH500001 and higher)...

Get it done... SOON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yuri.

(PS: Check out www.metalmanparts.com - his price may be lower... and he does have e-bay specials as well...)
Ok, thats nice to know. I have a manual transmission. So I'm still over, but not as far as I was worried I was (The car is at 67k). Its still overdue, and an old belt so I will definitely get it done asap.

Would have been nice if my manual mentioned the difference. :mad:

Thanks.
Sean

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
paramedick said:
Thanks, Yuri and storx. I can never remember the folks in NC, other than Landon.
HAHA... there should be like an link that list all members by there state... i think that be an awsome feature to think about them adding in the near future.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
i know you mentioned you said they helpe dyour through egr and intake cleaning but if you need it we can do that aswell since we will have room to move back there once the engine is loose from the motor mount.

Kawayanan

TDI
2000 Jetta (Silver)
storx said:
i know you mentioned you said they helpe dyour through egr and intake cleaning but if you need it we can do that aswell since we will have room to move back there once the engine is loose from the motor mount.
I did follow the howto here and did the EGR and intake cleaning. I think it was about a year ago. I didn't make the setting change with the VAG-COM though (no VAG-COM). Having done it, I can understand that having more room would make it a lit easier. I think I spent at least 20 min getting one bolt back in because it was so hard to reach.

I PM'ed a few people suggested here, to check whether they could help. It looks like I will be making a drive, but thats ok.

Sean