CV Axle, Wheel Bearing, or WHAT?

sk8rdi16

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf
I have a strange popping noise, almost a click that is dependent on wheel speed. I initially posted over in the A4 section, but haven't gotten much response so I thought I'd try here.
Basically I'm hearing a Pop, not quite a thump, that ticks as the wheels rotate. In the front. It's not a howl so I don't think it's the bearings, and it doesn't occur constantly. All bushings look good as well as the CV boots. The passenger side flange is leaking. The motor mounts seem good.
Here is a link to the original post.
Original Post

cage

Top Post Dawg
Usually a ticking from a front wheel drive car IS a CV joint. The wheel bearing usually sounds like a jet engine taking off.

sk8rdi16

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf
Thanks guys!

Since it seems like the axles are going, and my flange seal is leaking. I think I will upgrade to the VR6 axles.

I've read a few different opinions on rebuilt vs new axles. I just need to read a little more!

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
I have a strange popping noise, almost a click that is dependent on wheel speed. I initially posted over in the A4 section, but haven't gotten much response so I thought I'd try here.
Basically I'm hearing a Pop, not quite a thump, that ticks as the wheels rotate. In the front. It's not a howl so I don't think it's the bearings, and it doesn't occur constantly. All bushings look good as well as the CV boots. The passenger side flange is leaking. The motor mounts seem good.
Here is a link to the original post.
Original Post
sk8rdi16: is this what it sounds like?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2L_x-OUR2Y