Intercooler Cleaning...now a fried ECM???-NOT!

Galactic_Warrior

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta
Long Story....I removed and cleaned the intercooler over the weekend and re-assembled everything. The car started fine and I let it idle for about 10 minutes before taking it for a spin just in case any water was left from the last rinse.

The car seemed to drive fine around the neighborhood, although I never realy got on it. Then I took it out on the main roads and no boost.

Came home to make sure I hooked eveything back up right (this is the second cleaning on this car). All seemed fine..all hoses intact, intake temp sensor connected OK. Took it out again, no boost, now a CEL. I was guessing I goofed up the intake temp sensor.

I decided to drop it off at the dealer since it was Memorial Day and I don't have a VAG-COM.

Dealer says he can't get any codes and thinks it's the ECM that is fried. He pulls the ECM and notices some extra silicone at the case edges and figures it's chipped (it is...) pops the cover open and sees a chip.

Now he says I'm on the hook for a new ECM to the tune of $1600.

The car is a 2002 and has 47K on it. It has been chipped since November. No other engine mods.

The chip folks don't think that it is the chip as the car has been running great for quite a while, but have not denied this as a possibility either.

The dealer is not done with the car, so there is no final decision at this point.

Any pointers?

UPDATE:

After two and 1/2 days the dealer figured out it was a bad electrical connection at the Inlet Air Temp sensor as I had initially guessed. He repaired the wire connection at the connector.

I must say that I will be looking for a better place to get my car serviced. I still can't understand why they could not get a code even with the CEL.

The dealer did call during this mess and say that he must have looked up the wrong ECM and that the new one would "only" be $648. Then after finally figuring it out, said he would charge me 1 hour of labor since it is likely that I goofed up the connnection during the intercooler R&R.

I didn't have a problem with this, but when I picked up the car, the bill was for 2 hours and the the grill was now pulled out of the bumper. This dealer has demonstrated a lack of competence, honesty, accuracy, credibility, and workmanship.

I'm still surprised that the dealer would open up the ECM.

On a side note, I did consult with Wetterauer during this ordeal. Kelly was good a giving some tips and insight into the ECM situation that gave me more ammunition when questioning (helping) the dealer.

Thanks also go to those who have offered information and assistance!

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
Intercooler Cleaning...now a fried ECM???

Thank the dealer for his time, then check the VAG-COM List for someone near you.

$1600 is BS!

from Alldata:

"Engine Control Module

Parts . OEM Part . Price
ECM . 038906012CP . $918.00

Labor . SkillLevel . Warr hrs. Std hrs.
Replace . B . 0.5 . 0.6"

Impex ECM for even less - $714

TDI Mike

Veteran Member
TDI

First off, do not pay the dealer $1600 for a new ECU, that is robbery. You can get a used one from http://car-part.com/ for around $120.00.

I suspect that you may not have reconnected one of the hoses back on correctly and the dealer is taking advantage. Tell them what you did and ask them to check all the hoses for proper connection. If they insist on replacing the ECU I suggest you try to contact someone with Vag Com in your area who is willing to help and get the car home.

Check the hoses again yourself and if it does turn out to be the ECU get a used one from carpart.com. If they don't have one available I will send you my spare until you can get one, I have a 2002 as well.

I think this dealer is being less than truthful for a couple reasons:

1- I have been told that under no circumstance is a dealer allowed to take the cover off of a ECU, only regional director may do that.

2- The ECU chip is the same chip as stock, only it has been reflashed, there should be no physical evidence if the Upsoluted rep did a good job.

3- My stock ECU had some extra insulation around the edge, this is not a definate sign of anything.

This dealer is BSing you, just my 2 cents worth, hope it all works out, Mike.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M

"No boost"

soap residue on the MAP sensor? other problem directly related to the MAP sensor...

Galactic_Warrior

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta

I did physically re-check all of the mechanical and electrical connections. My first guess was that I may have goofed something up on the IAT sensor on the top of the intercooler either through bumping it, cleaning it, or electrically.

The dealer says he is going to re-check all of the sensors and connections as well.

Before he puts in a ECM, I will be suggesting that he swaps ECMs with a used car on the lot to see what happens. IF it in an ECM, I'll be having a long chat about prices and options first.

We'll see. Thanks to all. I'll keep you posted.